DADT repeal is alive and well [Update: bill has passed]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 6, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

http://www.advocate.com/Politics/Washington_D_C_/View_From_Washington_DADT_Dead_Duck/

More government fail. After the Republicans come into the House, we will never hear of this again. We'll have to win in court.

2. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

small question, what do you mean by "we"? :D i kid but i will say whatever the top generals and admirals in charge of our forces think is best, i support that. i mean i only can ASSUME these guys know better than anyone else when it comes to the forces they command.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The top generals and such all want it gotten rid of. There is no argument left against repeal.

Can I assume you agree with them?

4. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

i believe the only ones to have given any official word on it were the latest commandant of the marines and his predecessor. of course i could be wrong. i just havent read anything from the CNO or the army or air force.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...rt_allowing_gays_poses_little_risk_to_mil.php

Again- can I assume you agree with them? It's a simple question- yes or no?

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There were congressional hearings on it last week, do you not watch the news? :confused:

The only reason it's getting killed is because the Republicans, mainly that ******* McCain, are playing politics and trying to make Obama's promise of repeal fail.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's exactly what it is. But Obama hasn't done himself any favors either. This is partially his fault as well.

8. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

i dont get your quote. the secdef is a civilian. the joint chief of staff is a politician more than a sailor now and does not represent any single branch. hes a good guy but his position is such that he must perform for the crowd. as all politicians must. that is not to say he does not want change.

to answer your question, whatever they think is best, i agree with. the military has the right to run itself the way it sees fit. i have a link for you as well.

http://www.military.com/news/articl...t-ignored-troops-views.html?col=1186032307786

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's because Obama isn't a leader. He's a motivator who lets everyone else do the dirty work.

Unless he mans the hell up and stops letting the GOP get everything they want he's already lost my vote in 2012.

10. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

surely one of those guys were quoted saying they wanted the repeal. im looking for it on google but maybe you can help me?

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Hopefully he'll sign an executive order to repeal it. He tried the correct way, but time to utilize his authority as Commander and Chief since Congress are full of stupid idiots......

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah, its pretty puzzling why it isn't gone already...

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I can't believe I have to do this but this should make it simple for you:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-december-2-2010/gaypocalypse-now

What the hell does it matter what they say? It's their vote that counts. If you look throughout recent history you'll notice a massive difference between what the GOP says in their rhetoric, and what their policies do in the real world.

Thats not to say that the Dems don't do it, at this point they've been skewed so far to the right that they are essentially Republican-lite. The Democrats today are what moderate republicans where 20-30 years ago.

No one has said a word about it "for some reason" though. :rolleyes:

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Those are Senators playing politics. I'll take the Pentagon's survey over a bunch of Republicans with an agenda.

15. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

yes words mean something. they mean a great deal. if you believe something is morally wrong, why cant you stand against with your words?

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't know. Why can't you?

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Did you not understand what I wrote? They can say whatever they want to the cameras.

The proof of their stance is the action they take on it, and given the GOP's "**** you america, we're only trying to make the president look bad" strategy, you will not see those people who said they want repeal vote for it.

You understand I'm talking about our politicians and not yours or my ability to speak out right?

18. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

why cant i do what? im for whatever the ones in charge believe is best for their "business". im not about to tell them what works for them.

im not morally against them running things their way. nope, im not against keeping or removing it. its whatever they want to do which matters. for example, the CNO wanted women on subs, now there are women on subs. ask the sub community how they felt about the whole thing prior and i bet it was different than how the CNO felt. the CNO however felt it was best for his "business" and he made the change, because he believed in it.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm already done with Obama (R-IL).

20. leekohler, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I think it's clear that they want it removed. BTW- there are gay people on subs right now too.

Not of the Republicans run Palin, you're not.

21. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

good riddance.

we have more pressing issues to deal with at the moment.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? We're at war and dealing with military personnel issues is not a pressing matter? Never mind the fact that we've lost a lot of brilliant people in the military that we needed because of this, such as Arabic linguists.

And why do you keep saying we? You live in Canada- that scary place where gays can get married and there's UHC.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Which is why you have a very short debate, a vote and repeal it. It should take half a day, tops.

24. Queso, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010

Queso macrumors G4

Since when did the USA become Burma? The US military is accountable to the government and people of the country.