DADT Repeal Up in the Air

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Sep 21, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Seems that if this doesn't get through, it would indeed be the Republicans' fault. I really am getting sick of their BS. This is clearly the right thing to do, and has a lot of public support. They're only threatening filibuster to stick it to Obama. When are they going to start doing the right thing, like their jobs?

Hey GOP- there's a country out here you're supposed to be serving. Why don't you quit pissing in the sandbox just because you lost the game? Prove that you're worthy of the positions we the people gave you and start acting in the country's best interests, instead of your own.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/09/21/DADT_Repeal_Up_in_the_Air/

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Can someone explain this "land of the free" and "greatest country on earth" stuff if we can't even accept our citizens for who they are.

These people are willing to give up their lives for "the good of the country", yet we don't even let them live lives of honestly. This is beyond ****ed up.

I'd like to give out a big "SCREW YOU MCCAIN." The man gave up his honorable stances the second his seat came under contention. Jackass.

3. coolmacguy macrumors regular

Religion.

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Don't forget a high court that ruled it outright unconstitutional.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well yeah, there's that little detail.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Simple. We are not the land of the free or the greatest country on earth. It's all just a bunch of jingoistic bullcrap put out there to make Americans feel better about their country's shortcomings.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah, I love when people actually answer my rhetorical questions :p

I agree.

8. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What? It's wrong to say that a country whose government openly discriminates against a minority isn't the land of the free?

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There is supposed to be a study released in December, why not just wait until then and then act on it. I have no problem repealing DADT but we also don't need it causing more issues before we know how the current solders on the ground will react to it. This is becoming a political football. The Dems want to do it now for votes and the Repubs want to wait until after the elections so they get votes. Why didn't they just do this 2 years ago? Obama could have pushed this the second he got into office.

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Excuse me?

This "study" is nothing more than a stall tactic. BTW- Obama did start pushing for this, but the Republicans were up in arms, foaming at their mouths over it. This was one of those that he caved to them on, when he should have signed an executive order and then had congress repeal it.

12. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Why did the Democratic party rally around Blanche Lincoln, again?

She's obviously toast in November, so at least we'll know where we stand with her Republican replacement.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I think the Dems should just allow the f'ers on teh right to filibuster. Then, not pass the appropriations bill, pull all troops out of Afghanistan, and blame all the deaths on the right. I mean, they don't support our troops, and they voted against funding them.

(edit) And, then, the next terrorist attack is square on their shoulders.

(edit2) Appropriations plus repeal of DADT, or NO appropriations. Dems need to grow a set of balls.

Is there a single republican who wants to run on filibustering funding for the military?

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This bill wasn't *just* about that awful DADT policy but other provisions (such as immigration reform) as well. To vote for repeal of the DADT policy means a vote *for* other items the Republicans disagreed with. If this were just about the DADT policy, this would have passed.

15. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I'm really glad these idiots were not around in the senate in the 1960's because if they were we would still have Separate water fountains for blacks and there would be no civil rights act.

It's beyond me why this is even an issue. Just because i happen to love someone of the same sex that should have no bearing on how i would defend my country. I'm really ashamed to be an american today.

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, the immigration reform that was sponsored by McCain is the reason why he is filibustering DADT? Come on, dispense with the crap.

17. 184550 Guest

Name a country that is considered free under that definition.

18. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Exactly and if it wasn't that then it would have been something. I'm sure Meghan McCain is gonna be pissed at her father. I can hardly believe she is his daughter since she is for Equality for everyone. How can two people be so different?

19. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Pardon my bluntness but I dont care how they feel about it.

One month before Truman’s order, a Gallup poll showed that 63% of American adults endorsed the separation of Blacks and Whites in the military; only 26% supported integration. 85% of white soldiers thought it was a good idea to have separate service clubs in army camps

Truman integrated the forces despite the objections of the troops and it remains to be seen if Gates, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen and President Obama are willing to do the same for Don’t Ask, Don’ Tell.

This is not a decision to be left up to majority (mob) rule. This is a human rights issue. Sorry but the majority does not have the right to hurt the minority in this country.

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Of course the majority (cough cough) I mean the tiny vocal percentage who happen to be the tea party, but who think they are the majority, have the right to dictate to the rest of us how to live our lives, and how everything is supposed to be. Didn't you get the Memo or the Palin facebook post?

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Neither Canada or the UK discriminate against gays, just to name a couple.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, and there's no gays in Iran.

23. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Cry for me.

Really, how in the hell are the Democrats not to blame for this? They had complete majorities and never brought it up. You know why, because they didn't need the Gay/Lesbian support after the election. They also did not support the repeal because they needed DADT there to be an issue they could portray as being held in place by Republicans. They knew it would work because they rely on ignorance of their supporters, they also rely on the knee jerk hatred of their supporters.

Guess what, Harry Reid VOTED AGAINST IT TOO! 56-43 ... how many Republicans are there???? Hmm...

LOL, you are pathetic in your attempts to make this a Republican issue. The Democrats had ample opportunity to fix it but they chose not to. Obama does not want it, hence he does not push them to do it.

Face it, gays and lesbians got left at the altar because they support is not required, their animosity towards Republicans is needed, but why should Democrats risk their political hides for gays and lesbians??? Obviously that is the question they asked themselves and said, screw that.

Nope, they need a Republican minority with enough votes to stop it, better yet a Republican majority, so they can blame Republicans for their lack of courage, their lack of integrity, their LACK OF SUPPORT FOR GAYS AND LESBIANS.

LOL. You get what you deserve throwing your lot in with them.

24. 184550 Guest

I wasn't aware that 'minority' and 'gay' were synonymous.

I was under the impression that you were inferring that any government that discriminated against any minority could not be considered free.

In which case, no government in the world could be considered free.

In which case, I think that the US comes pretty damn close in that regard.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Harry Reid voted against it because Senate rules require the majority leader to vote against bills that fail to gain cloture so they can be brought up for debate in the future. If Harry Reid voted for it, the bill would be completely dead.

The other 2 Democrats who voted against it, Lincoln and Pryor (both from Arkansas) voted no for it once they saw it would not pass, as to not piss off the bigoted rednecks back home. It's sad that they're spineless like that, but they would have been yes votes, just like Harry Reid, making it 59-40 (Murkowski didn't vote) had they gotten one single ****ing Republican to vote yes. So guess where the blame now lies.

Get your damn facts straight.