Daily Kos admits polling errors

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Jun 29, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I'm posting this because I think it is instructive. If you are not familiar, the daily Kos is a liberal site that has been pretty influential for several years. I only recently became aware of this guy, and his site, but apparently it's been around for a while.

Anyway, check out this story. If this doesn't demonstrate that a die hard liberal is willing to bite the bullet and admit when he's wrong, I don't know what would.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/29/daily-kos-founder-suing-p_n_629516.html

(edit) The following is my personal question related to the apparent willingness of liberals to admit their mistakes: If you were playing golf with a republican and a democrat, and both of their balls moved as they addressed them, which one do you think would be more likely to call the penalty on themselves?

I am not implying all democrats are more honest, or there are no honest republicans, but this is a pretty good example of a rabid lefty calling a penalty on himself.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What a ****** thread title!

Anyway, I've always taken Research 2K about as accurately as Rasmussen… not at all. Hoping Daily Kos pairs up with a reputable poller.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's the guy, who after some Americans got lynched, mutilated and hung from bridges in Iraq by a bunch of savages in Fallujah, and he said "Screw them". Yep, he's a nice liberal alright. I'll be sure to return the comment, in case anything ever happens to him or anybody who he knows.
    :)

5. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Wait a second. What's wrong with the thread title. Daily Kos is a liberal site, they are suing their pollsters and admitting the information they presented was wrong. How would you have titled it. I'm more than happy to change it, if I can.

6. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Care to provide a cite for that?

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I don't know, but I expect them both to address the ball as "my very good friend and colleague, the distinguished gentleball from Titleist."

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It doesn't really correlate with the story, which is a fraudulent poll site.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

From his Wikipedia page (which has references):

Blackwater controversy
    In April 2004, Moulitsas and Daily Kos became the focus of controversy over a statement that he posted in the comments section of a blog post about non-US military Blackwater USA employees who were killed and mutilated in Fallujah:

"Let the people see what war is like. This isn't an Xbox game. There are real repercussions to Bush's folly. That said, I feel nothing over the death of merceneries. They aren't in Iraq because of orders, or because they are there trying to help the people make Iraq a better place. They are there to wage war for profit. Screw them."[19]

In a blog post the next day, Moulitsas defended and clarified his remarks:

"My language was harsh, and, in reality, not true. Fact is, I did feel something. That's why I was so angry. I was angry that five soldiers—the real heroes in my mind—were killed the same day and got far lower billing in the newscasts. I was angry that 51 American soldiers paid the ultimate price for Bush's folly in Iraq in March alone. I was angry that these mercenaries make more in a day than our brave men and women in uniform make in an entire month. I was angry that the US is funding private armies, paying them $30,000 per soldier, per month, while the Bush administration tries to cut our soldiers' hazard pay.[20] I was angry that these mercenaries would leave their wives and children behind to enter a war zone on their own violition. So I struck back."[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markos_Moulitsas

That is a well known incident, and it's also one of the first times that I had ever heard of the disgusting liberal hate site known as the daily kos.

Here's a google search for "markos screw them moulitsas" and as you can see, there's plenty of cites. You can even pick and choose between the one that you wish to click on.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=markos+screw+them+Moulitsas&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

11. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Polls

First of all, I place The Dailey Kos's ideologies on the same level as ITN or BM's, just on the left side. Pretty widely regarded as ridiculously radically liberal.

I have always wondered about their "Approval Rating" numbers, they always seemed to be pretty out of whack with all the other numbers I saw. Honestly, I just figured they were polling their own members, hence, the skewed poll numbers.

I always take poll numbers with a grain of salt, anyone who is smart enough can get poll findings to show exactly what they want them to show, for the most part.

Then you lost me at---
    What? Whichever person was more honest, or whichever person was the better golfer.

Questions like that re hyperbolic and pretty much useless, like .Andy said, culture wars nonsense. Besides, most all the politicians are as dishonest as you could get, party affiliation aside :)

And the thread title is very disingenuous. No matter party affiliation, when a blog the size of Daily Kos discovers its polling numbers are rubbish, they had better come out and admit it if they plan on maintaining an ounce of credibility.

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Indeed.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Fox News rarely if ever admits mistakes, even when obviously caught lying.

But I agree with what you're saying.

15. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Human deaths are always terrible, but I do have trouble getting upset over mercenary deaths. Soldiers are there for country (or should be). Mercenaries are just there to make a buck.

16. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

So what about when fisherman die? Or when lumberjacks die? Or when construction workers die?

They are just trying to make a buck....

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Don't change it; it's fine.

Edit: too late. Says pretty much the same thing, though, just in a more specific way.

I'm looking at the site right now, and there's a quote from Republican Nevada nominee for the Senate Sharon Angle stating that she believes women who've been raped shouldn't have abortions because that's part of God's plan.

Then there's another piece about Republican Mitch McConnell objecting to a bill to help homeless veterans.

I'll agree, there's a lot of disgusting hate there. If DailyKos wants to be positive, they really should stop talking about conservatives.

18. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

No, thats exactly why its such a ridiculous site, the article titles like that.

If you are capable of using objective reasoning you would have a problem with the dishonest portrayal of current events on the site.

"Republican Senate wants homeless vets' families to stay homeless" Headline, straight from the site. If you watch the video though, McConnel speaking on behalf of Coburn objects to the bill on financial grounds.

They were unable to pay for it upfront. Is that so terribly unreasonable? The Daily Kos will turn anything into a pathos sob story to appeal to their bleeding heart reader-base. The Kos article only states that the Repubs blocked it, not why. Of course.

As for Sharon Angle, I disagree with her, but is it really that hard to understand why she feels that way? She is pro life, most likely because she believes a life is a life at conception. Would it not follow for her to feel that way then? A woman being raped does not make it the babies fault. She feels its wrong to terminate an unborn. But no, Daily Kos won't delve into that, all they will do is tout the shocker headline.

19. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

They're job is supposed to be putting them in any mortal danger, unlike mercenaries.

20. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

The site is calling the pollster out - not themselves. They contracted the polls out, they did not do them themselves - there is a very big difference. Kos is calling out Research 2000 not themselves.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Fair enough. But if we call DailyKos hateful or ridiculous on the basis of misleading titles, we'd have to be fair and do it for ourselves.

I really can't get behind the reasoning on Angle. Religious beliefs or not, that's just awful.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The world would benefit if all pollsters internal data were demanded. That's the only reason R2K was nailed here, because Kos decided to make his polls contracted through them as transparent as possible. I'd like to see Rasmussen and Zogby held to the same standards, along with the rest of the industry.

It'll be interesting to see who Kos chooses for his next pollster. Whoever it is better be ready to bare all for the world to see...

23. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Agreed. I thought that it was a consensus pretty much that if a woman is raped, an abortion ought to be completely fine on legal, ethical, and moral grounds. She probably railroaded herself with those comment, losing many women voters...

24. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Calling them out before the press broke about another group catching their polls being faulty is more likely. DailyKOS enjoyed their polls while they agreed with them, when they stopped aligning with DailyKOS's group think is when some people got interested.

There of course is the money the owe R2K that appears in other stories.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's hardly a consensus. In all reality, the only reason exceptions in law are made for rape and incest is that the anti-choice forces have found that it is necessary to include such exemptions if they want to pass SCOTUS muster. When pressed, most of the hardcore forced-birth brigade will admit that they don't believe in such exemptions, but will allow them so that they can force the birthing vessels to enact God's will through them most of the time.

If you truly believe abortion is murder, then it doesn't matter what the provenance of the person is, it's still a person being murdered.