Daily Mail Readers trolled by altered Nazi quotes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by decafjava, Aug 11, 2015.

1. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Horrifying experiment done by a couple of journalists who posted comments about migrants on Daily Mail articles. These comments were lifted from quotes from Nazi propaganda and simply altered with say "migrant" replacing "Jew".

https://medium.com/@bestofthemail/i...about-migrants-in-the-daily-mail-8996899810b4

Of course this kind of tabloid journalism exists all over, in the US and Europe as well, pretty sad.

2. sim667 macrumors 65816

There's a reason its known as "The Daily Heil". Its the UK's equivalent of fox news.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Well what you have to remember is that the people giving the upvotes are ... other people, who happen to be Daily Fail readers; most of which are ignorant fascists. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villiainy.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The migrant issue is a tough one. I think we probably should let more of them in if they are genuine refugees.

5. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

As much as Hitler was a monster, we must not forget that he did not carry out those atrocities against the jews all by himself. He had many followers and supporters who believed in his message of hate. We kid ourselves when we think that likeminded people do not exist today.

6. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

It might as well be Page 3 of The Sun.

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its also currently the 20 anniversary of ethnic cleansing in croatia...... so quite poignant how speeches written for the worlds largest genocide, still have veracity when we talk, particularly in the uk about refugee seekers in calais in dehumanising terms.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

A footnote in history. This one is often overlooked, but Hitler was willing to let the Jews leave Germany if anyone would take them in. At the Evian Conference where 32 countries met to discuss allowing more Jewish refugees into their countries. Only ONE (1 out of 32:eek:) was willing to allow more Jews into their country. (Big love for the little country, the Dominican Republic:cool:). Those other 31 (including the US and the UK) are partially responsible for the Holocaust.

This wasn't in any history books I could find in 'Murica. I only learned of this after the advent of the Internet.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

So the holocaust was an acceptable response then?

10. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Excellent point but I disagree that those countries refusing to accept jews are partially responsible for the Holocaust unless you have proof that they were explicitly warned to either take these refugees or they will be exterminated. Hindsight is always 20/20.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's in the Holocaust museum in Washington DC for sure.

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!:confused: When the hail has genocide ever been acceptable?

The signs were there. The Kristallnacht, or informally known as the night of broken glass, where the Nazi instigated mass riot against the German Jews. The rioters had orders not to harm foreign national Jews or non-Jews. A pretty orderly riot.:rolleyes:

Still we didn't know just how bat guano crazy Hitler was until years later.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

While the agreement anti migrant sentiments is repulsive, it's not exactly surprising. I imagine most anti<enthnicity/nationality/religion> all looks quite similar.

Let's not confuse the current situation in the U.S. and Europe with the actual events of the Holocaust. I'm not discounting the present reality, but I sense they're baiting to equate the two.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

While this event by the Daily Mail is wrong it’s hardly surprising.

What is both surprising and far more worrying is the anti immigration/asylum, rhetoric in daily life.

The language is already starting to turn ugly, even in daily use words are being used, that only ten years ago would have been totally unacceptable.

The rise of the anti immigration parties across Europe has pushed the traditional parties further to the right.

Immigration/asylum seekers is going to be the next major problem for the countries of Europe.

With relative high unemployment across Europe, the addition of hundreds of thousands of extra immigrants, will only make this problem worse. Housing and medical services are limited.

15. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yes, it was hate but not hate out of nowhere. WWI begat Treaty of Versailles which begat economic injustice which begat racial injustice which begat atrocities against the jews (among other injustices, which themselves begat other conflicts and injustices).

This one fact is the only thing that explains to me, the intensity behind Israel. They died for lack of their own state. So they must have one, regardless of cost (which includes, oh look: still more injustices!).

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've been doing this on Twitter towards individuals. It's very fun seeing them talk about "this isn't the Britain Churchill fought for!", and pull tricks like this, or getting them to agree with old Nazi things.

I really don't like the Daily Mail. Just today there was an article (don't worry someone left a copy on the train when its owner was exposed to sunlight and just vanished) talking about not giving the contraceptive pill to teenagers. They're genuinely evil.

Oh! And one of their ad agents got in touch with me. I linked them to the latest horrible article and said I really don't want to advertise my company alongside this.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

The ironic thing is that in the UK, asylum seekers are such massive stories in the news so far, but comparitively in the UK to other EU countries, we're getting very few applications.

The real issue i take, especially with reporting in the UK, is that most newspapers feeding the anti foreign rhetoric (because lets be honest, its a anti foreign rhetoric, not an anti immigration rhetoric), is that they don't discern between asylum seekers, immigration, refugees etc, instead the media just reports them as a "swarm" (actually language used in headlines here, in order to dehumanise the issue).

Most of the general public here don't know the difference between immigrants/asylum/refugees...... and most of the public here are naive enough to thing that asylum seekers are risking their lives to come here to go to harry potter world..... Its simply ridiculous.

Of course we won't talk about the 1.4 million brits living in spain, most of whom seem to be voting for the anti immigration policies and parties in the UK either. Ironic is an understatement.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't see how swapping altered quotes that happen to have been used by nazi's means anything. Did I miss a new holocaust starting?

I don't blame Europe for being anti-migrant, especially when the incoming people are unlikely to assimilate with the western culture and are more likely to be a drag on an already sluggish economic system.

19. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp