Daily Show: Lame-as-F@#k Congress

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He's right. It's disgusting what the GOP has done here. They are full of it. It's just plain sick.

3. brock2621, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Hahahahahahaha F&@K "free" healthcare, social security, and graduated income taxes!

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

John Stewart hit the nail on the head. What they want is what a lot of companies want these days- absolute loyalty with no reward. Hell, forget the reward, we'll just throw you under the bus and expect you to smile about it.

The USA is on it's way to becoming a third world country. Wake up, people. We have to start taking care of each other, because we're all in this together. Anyone who voted against taking care of our 9/11 first responders is a traitor of the worst kind, and less than human.

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

Oh my god...that was awesome on so many levels. Now to see what certain members will have to say about it.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Fivepoint has already stated in another thread that he feels the 9/11 responders should be responsible for their own health care. No surprise there.

7. brock2621, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Firefighteres and police as well as everybody else should NOT be covered by a national government. Period. Health insurance is NOT a right but a privilege! Since when did breathing or just existing entitle you to have someone else be responsible for providing medical care?

Now I with all my heart believe that the police & firefighters should not have to pay for their own healthcare, but not a nationalized one. It should be something that a person weighs when entering into a work contract, and if it's not provided, then they need to re-evaluate and find a job that pays more to compensate for the bills. I would hope the city of the New York even would cover it, but NOT a sweeping nationalized healthcare bill.

As long as it remains private, they will get better and faster care. Period. As soon as the government takes over something, it falls to s*&T.

I walked into the post office yesterday, it hadn't been cleaned, the signs were crooked (some missing completely), the people were rude, and there was a line out the door because they only had ONE person behind the counter. If this was a private business, it would FAIL, plain and simple. Businesses don't survive when so shoddily run. But this one can because it's being run by your tax dollars, and some people can ONLY ship by them because of location, work obligations, contractual reasons etc.

As soon as the government takes over healthcare, they will start to prohibit what you eat as they will look at your care from a strictly costly perspective. Like this new proposed legislation in New York to BAN salt from chefs in restaurants! Why? Because salt in the amount most Americans use it is unhealthy, and the government doesn't way to pay the extra health costs associated.

8. leekohler, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You must be confused. Have you not seen how much the government taxes cigarettes? They're also coming after your junk food soon. It has nothing to do with universal health care.

Also, your post is unbelievably nasty. You really think that the 9/11 responders should just have had "better jobs"? What kind of person believes this kind of crap? How do you look in the mirror in the morning?

Also, our health care system is one of the most inefficient in the world. We fall behind most other civilized nations in every area.

As far as you post office- well, we keep cutting taxes and bankrupting the government. If you haven't noticed, we owe a s***load of money. If we keep refusing to fund our government, what do you expect? Nothing is free. But you conservatives continue to act as if we can just borrow our way out of everything without ever paying the bill. You're right- you can;t run a business without capital.

9. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Brock2621, some great points.... well said. Post office vs. FedEx, etc. is a great example.

Unfortunately, after attacking Brock in direct violation to the rules, Lee made the mistake liberals often make... suggesting that conservatives 'just don't care' - however this has been proven wrong many times over in this forum. Conservatives (and religious folks) have been proven to be FAR more charitable than their liberal bretheren. The only difference is that in addition to their willful charity, they also believe that the government needs to have limits on it, and that large centralized govenrment isn't always the answer, and that personal responsibility often leads to much better long-term results for the poor than hand-outs and entitlements do, etc. Basically, one has a principled stance and even though their heart wants them to help, they're principled enough not to let the government simply take care of it.

Anyone want to place bets on liberal vs. conservative charitable giving to said firefighter/police organizations affected by 9/11, or to the 9/11 widows foundations? When people come in here (LEE) and tear down an entire group of people simply because they disagree on the role of government is sad and intellectually bankrupt. If you want to argue that the government should fund this healthcare bill - then fine. But to suggest that anyone opposed is a heartless bastard... shame on you for your intellectual laziness.

10. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Um, my post is unbelievable "nasty" yet you just attacked me personally by saying that my opinion makes me not worthy of having a face to look at in the mirror? Right, sure thing Mr. lollipops and rainbows, I guess I'm just really confused and taken back with your over the top sweet tone. I'll really work on that....

I am a strict constructionist; I believe the government's main purpose is to provide infrastructure and defend it's people. Period. If you think your local hospital is inefficient, then don't go to it. If your opinion lines up with everybody else's, guess what, no more hospital! Then you would see a need for a better hospital and open one and run it the way you think!

For future reference, don't insinuate someone isn't worth being alive for their opinion, it makes you look like an uncivilized bigot...

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The post office can get a letter across the country in less than a week for 44 cents. I'd like to see FedEx do that. And then when the post office tries to raise the cost of a stamp one single penny to help cover increasing costs, everyone whines and moans that the post office doesn't need more money. So they don't get it, and customer service and the cleanliness of your post office suffers.

Right, because people have time to do comparison shopping for hospitals when they're having a heart attack :rolleyes:

12. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

And you would be ill aware and unprepared if you don't know where your hospitals are. Maybe the government should pay for a city tour of the hospitals and the best routes to get there with a hot meal and back massage on my dime as well. I mean, because it's our right!

13. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

First of all, do you honestly believe that? That it only costs us 44 cents? You realize the Post Office is being subsidized by taxpayers and is being run at a MASSIVE loss each year, right?

Second of all.. Most people would LOVE to see FedEx/UPS do it. Unfortunately, the government has a monopoly and won't allow competition in first class letter mail. Imagine that.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I know where my hospitals are, I also know which ones are better, but if it's a life and death situation, I should be able to go to the nearest hospital and get good care.

And some smaller towns only have one hospital. I lived in a small rural town for awhile. There was one hospital there, and it wasn't that great. The nearest good one was 100 miles away. That is completely unacceptable.

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Why does everybody hate the post office so much? You can drop a letter into a mail box in the smallest town in the country and have it sent to one apartment in the biggest city in the country for under 50 cents. Sounds pretty good to me. So what if the other poster walked into a badly staffed and unclean office once, I've been in private businesses on a bad day too. They don't go under because the cleaning guy called In sick.

16. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

I missed the part where you were forced to live there. If I decide to build a house in the middle of the forest, your logic proposes that I should be given a hospital "X" miles away.

17. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

In a race to the bottom, making things 'equal' is easy. Making things 'better' is hard.

18. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

It wasn't a rare single day, it's everyday, of every week, for the past 4 years i've been going to it, and I've started to not use them because of it. Problem is, even though I quit using it, the government isn't going to stop taking my money and giving to it anyway.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And if the USPS dared to charge 50 cents to mail a letter to reduce the amount of tax money they take, everyone would bitch about raising rates and how the government is screwing them. They can't win.

Oh really? You're free to use FedEx or UPS to mail your bills and Christmas cards and whatever else you have at 10 bucks a pop.

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Maybe for you, but I'm pretty sure most other 1st world nations include health care as a privilege provided for them by their government. Perhaps you should get with the rest of the world.

The post office does not receive tax subsidies. (a few paragraphs down)

21. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Why do conservatives believe living is a luxury?

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Please link to an example of this in countries which already have UHC.

23. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

50 Cents is not the real cost. It costs much more than that to send a letter. The Post Office is run at a massive loss, meaning taxpayers pick up the difference. So, maybe it actually costs $1.00 to send that letter... maybe it costs $1.50.

Why not allow companies like FedEx and UPS to compete and offer their own letter delivery service? Like Brock pointed out earlier - private businesses would be out of business if they were run like the Post Office. In order to stay in business, they'd have to have nicer facilities, nicer employees, better services, etc. Thankfully the post office has improved in the last 10 years thanks to a more business-like mentality... but they have a long way to go. Again, why so afraid of competition federal government? We trust private companies to produce our heart medication, but we can't trust them to deliver a letter? :rolleyes:

24. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

I guess the word "tax money" shouldn't have been used, it's the most efficient multi-billion dollar in debt, government "sponsored" program today :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.