Daily Show shows the RNC are a bunch of Hypocrites

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Feb 12, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-february-9-2010/rnc-meeting-in-hawaii

After Calling out Obama for being a Elitist and the Democrats for being "out of touch" with the american Public and Spending to much the Republicans decide to hold there RNC meeting in Hawaii to discuss Financial Responsibility.

Great peice by oliver though he's one of my favorite corespondents.:D

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha! Too funny!

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Crap! I've stayed at that hotel (when it had condos). Nice place. Glad they weren't there when I was. :D

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Why are the Republicans visiting a foreign country for the RNC meeting?

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I heard they were secretly in Kenya, and have not seen any documentation to the contrary.

6. 184550 Guest

It's scary to think that anyone would take anything said on The Daily Show, or Colbert Report for the matter, seriously. Sure it's funny, but I wouldn't go around quoting it as fact or source it as a legitmate news source.

7. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You can say all you want about the Daily Show, it's more truth than any of the real "News" stations will give out. I actually stopped laughing while watching The Daily Show because it's so sad to see how both parties are ridiculously stupid and petty and hypocritical. Republicans more so apparently.. :)

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Sigh.

They're reporting on something that really happened.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

And telling it like it really is too. Comedy or not. It's still a fact.

10. 184550 Guest

Sigh.

If someone on here used Colbert as a source for a news story they'd get the third degree.

11. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Colbert I can see your point. But The Daily Show, that's something else...

12. 184550 Guest

How?

I've always thought of The Daily Show as a show that has an exaggerated liberal stance and the Colbert Report as a show that has an exaggerated conservative stance, both for humor of course.

In both cases I wouldn't source a story from either source the same way I might source a story from say ABC World News Tonight, NBC Nightly News or CBS Evening News.

13. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Hawaii is elitist? Maybe for a commoner! :) I find the place rather vulgar.

14. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

do you watch either show? The Daily Show reports on the same stuff that the other media outlets do. Yes, does it have a comedic twist, you bet. But does it make what they report any less true than the other media outlets. Not that I can see...

15. 184550 Guest

I implied that I watch both in my original post but right now I will state that, yes, I do watch both.

I guess we'll just have to disagree, I cannot look at The Daily Show (or Colbert Report) the same way I look at ABC World News Tonight. (That is the only nightly news program I watch out of the 'big' three and thus the only one I can speak to/ of.)

16. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the daily show is the best news reporting on tv. they dont take sides. i mean jon stewart is a liberal but he goes after both parties. he owned Newt the other night. it was fantastic.

17. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I can honestly say that the only reason I watch the Daily Show is for the humor that is associated with what is going on in our political world. The other media outlets no longer report the news they report what they think will give them ratings which can no longer be considered real reporting...

18. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

So your saying this didnt happen ? here ill give you severall sites pointing to this meeting.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/24/rnc-holds-winter-meeting-hawaii-obamas-birthplace/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35045773/ns/politics/
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/32144.html

19. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Nathan is not saying it didn't happen and I do see his point about the 2 programs being comedy programs. But (and I don't watch The Colbert Report) The Daily Show does report on real stories and does put a comedic twist to them without (in my opinion) diluting the real story.

20. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

in this case its pretty dark humor haha. in a way the daily show amost isnt humor. its knid of like look how stupid our politicians are. they put the comedic twist on it to avoid awkwardness.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What a sweet assignment Oliver got! :D

And what a rich vein of hypocrisy to tap. :D :D

I mean, I don't think I've ever seen that many scenes, juxtaposing what the Republicans say vs. what they do, jammed into such a short video.

I wonder if even now the Republicans realize how utterly ridiculous they look. They were so totally clueless!

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Please, his list of guests seem to differ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Daily_Show_guests

23. 184550 Guest

Thanks. And I completely agree that The Daily Show is far more 'real' than the Colbert Report.

24. 184550 Guest