Daisy chain 2nd external monitor with DP to VGA?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TimothyB, Nov 2, 2013.

1. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to create the most optimal setup for my first Macbook Pro Retina (Early 2013)

I have a Dell 30" u3014 connected to it right now using DisplayPort, plus set to to 1.2. I have a 2nd monitor, old Dell 20" Ultrasharp, connected to the Macbook's 2nd thunderbolt via an Apple mini-DP to VGA adapter.

Now, I'd like to just connect the old Dell 20" to the back of the Dell 30", using its displayport out to daisy chain. The displayport out is no mini, so I need a new cable.

Do displayport daisy chains need to always use DP to DP to work? Or can the last monitor on the chain us a DP to VGA (active) cable, or DP to DVI (passive)?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Your MacBook Pro doesn't support DisplayPort 1.2 daisy chaining.

3. TimothyB, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, that keeps it simple.

Though, then it only supports some features of 1.2 ? I successfully enabled DP 1.2 mode on the u3014 and the monitor didn't go blank, indicating the macbook has some kind of DP 1.2 functionality

I've seen people say cloning happens when trying to chain thunderbolt displays, but not extended mode. I found the support page and it says this macbook supports two thunderbolt displays, but not daisy chained.

20. Can I connect my Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor using a Mini DisplayPort adapter to my Apple Thunderbolt Display?

Mini DisplayPort Monitors or Monitors connecting with Mini DisplayPort adapters will not function when connected through a Thunderbolt Display. They must be connected directly to the Thunderbolt port on the computer or to a non-display device as indicated above.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

By enabling 1.2 on your monitor, it doesn't mean it requires a 1.2 signal - just that it will accept one. It still also accepts DP1.1

It's possible to connect a DisplayPort monitor and a Thunderbolt Display in a chain, with an intermediate Thunderbolt device like a disk between them. This isn't using DisplayPort 1.2 though, it's a different mechanism.