Dakota Access Pipeline Protests In North Dakota Turn Violent

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Sep 30, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/04/492625850/dakota-access-pipeline-protests-in-north
    guess Obama & the rest of the liberals only care about SOME minorities

--- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2016 ---

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

3. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

The American Indians have been treated poorly throughout history, but no one cares because they are a tiny voting block. They are paid lip service by the politicians, but in the end D nor R really cares.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Which minorities, the ones known as "1%'ers"? :D (sorry, couldn't resist... PWI... need to lay off the sauce...)

--- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2016 ---
    Very true, I imagine their ancestors must have been very badly treated to cross over the area becoming the Bering Strait when it could be traversed by land (or what other means, if the boat had been invented yet...)

http://www.history.com/news/native-americans-hailed-from-siberian-highlands-dna-reveals

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

sorry, should have said SOME liberals don't care. mostly those just offering lip service while looking the other way.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Hopefully it's accurate, given the lack of accountability whenever a pipeline leak occurs. They also seemed to get away without a full environmental investigation. Eventually that stupid pipeline will lose its financiers.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Let's hope the decision to move the path is permanent. We need to do more for native Americans not less.

8. Osamede macrumors 6502

I dont understand the headline, in light of the underlying facts presented.

Did the "protests turn violent".......or did the government authorities turn violent, when faced with protests?

In a world where many people don't get past the headline, such use of words is rather misleading.....

9. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Some people argue that Native Americans were obstructing a project that legally got approval, like that's the best argument they have.

It's sad, Native Americans should have complete control over their territories and anything that affects their territories. I got worried when Obama said he'll "wait and see", but I'm glad he came to the right decision.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It goes through some territory that was promised to them in a treaty during the 1800s, which was originally their land anyway. They should have a say in what goes on there. I can't find any evidence of a thorough environmental study for this either. The federal government in this case acted like idiots. Someone with authority actually thought it was acceptable to spray protesters with a water hose going into winter. I sincerely hope whoever okayed that is never in charge of a similar project ever again.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

There's an article on CNN saying part of the pipeline may be rerouted, according to the Army Corps of Engineers, despite financiers not wanting that to happen.

12. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Heh. The Army is siding with the protesters now, for the time being.

In the end…. the financiers are going to lose more money by being stubborn facing protests, legal challenges and delays caused by both. It's best if pipeline financiers just cut their losses and "study alternative routes" (just as the Army Corps of Engineers recommends). Yes, it will cost the pipeline construction a bit more if they use a circumventing path avoiding Indian territory. But then again, this is oil, and they will get their fat ROI regardless.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

It seems they are. Between extending the project to hash out legal battles, protecting the site with private or governmental security, etc I'm sure their costs will sky rocket. I think the problem is they already have much of the pipeline built and billions spent. Reworking the project might require a lot of back tracking.

They have the legal right to built there. Whether or not the Native Americans have adequate legal representation is another topic. If they were smart this would be a great opportunity to profit off the leverage they have gained, which would help their people, but money probably isn't what they're looking for.

As for this video I don't believe private security should be used to handle these protests, let alone with mace or dogs. Call in the authorities to handle these situations.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The routes not going to change. This is just a feel good measure by the Obama administration to make themselves look good.

As soon as P.E. snowflake comes in he'll rescind the order and the pipeline will be completed as originally planned.

There was never any intention to move the pipeline to begin with. Those protestors have been fighting a losing battle since the start. This is America. Petroleum profits have and always will matter more than human lives or the environment. Time for people to accept that for at least 4 more years.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This is what I fail to understand...

[​IMG]

Why didn't the company take a more direct, easterly path (toward Minot, then Bismark)? The current path crosses the river twice. :confused:

16. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Sadly, you're probably correct. P-E Cupcake is 500% on the side of big oil. And he'll be an even bigger proponent of North American oil because he clearly wants to urinate on the Saudis and their OPEC oil.