Dallas Principal Used Cage Fights To Settle Student Disputes

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mkrishnan, Mar 20, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/us/20dallas.html?ref=us

Clearly someone violated the first rule of Fight Club....

This expert perspective from Captain Obvious is also particularly amusing:

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Reminds me of the time a bunch of guys at my high school got busted for staging boxing matches in the men's locker room. The principal was not involved in those fights, though. ;)

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I went to a private high school where the coaches would do something similar. If two students had continual problems they would take them to the wrestling mat, give them boxing gloves and let them go at it for a little while. Of course both students had to agree to participate. They got the talk that this was to settle things and if problems continued after then they would both be in big trouble. It was viewed as a way to just let them get it out of their system.

I live in Dallas and this story has been pretty big. Mainly because the ISD has had lots of problems in the past few years and this is just "another log on the fire."

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The article noted that this school had to forfeit consecutive state basketball championships, also?

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

If I remember correctly the problem was the star player who helped them win the championships was reportedly having his grades "fixed" by one or more teachers so he could remain eligible to play. When the story broke the titles were taken.