Damage to plastic screen surround - iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dented, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Dented macrumors 6502a

So I dropped my white iPhone 5, it's fine but on the way down one corner clipped the wall and the very thin plastic strip between the screen and the aluminium got damaged - kind of cracked/torn slightly.

It's not the end of world and doesn't look that awful.. but I'm going to see it every day now and it'll irritate me! What are my options here? The screen itself is absolutely fine so obviously a replacement would be complete overkill, but is any chance of replacing the plastic on its own or is it an integral part of the screen? Thanks for any advice..

2. Dented thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damage to plastic screen surround - iPhone 5

This wouldn't have happened under IOS 6.

(Bump)

3. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Get a case and problem solved or pay Apple for a replacement for $200. Also can you explain how IOS 7 caused you to drop your iphone 5? :confused:

4. Dented thread starter macrumors 6502a

The sudden onset of motion sickness caused me to throw it across the room in fear.

(Not really, quite like IOS 7 actually).

Oh well, stuck with it then? No chance of just replacing the plastic part, more economically?

5. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Not sure if you can.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I don't think there even is a plastic strip? I have an iPhone 5, no plastic here..

7. AboutThisMac macrumors member

8. xlost6 macrumors 6502

It's $269 for a out of warranty replacement without AppleCare.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

there is no plastic there.
    Anyways if the edge is looking bad put a cover on it.

10. Dented thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep something like that. Sorry to burst any bubbles but it's definitely plastic - quite soft plastic at that - and on every 5 and 5S as far as I can see..

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

There is a plastic bezel piece that the glass is glued to in order to secure the face to the unibody.

OP, you will have to order a plastic bezel online and unglue the glass, then resecure it to the bezel if you wish to DIY. This is the part on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPhone-5-Wh...e_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item43c0585187

I would get a professional to do it unless you're feeling adventurous. :apple: