Dammit they didn't fix the phone app...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bit density, Sep 18, 2013.

1. bit density macrumors 6502

I am so done in. The phone app on the Iphone has no grace. It was clearly designed by an engineer who apparently never uses the phone.

Why are there two different keyboard views, and why do I have to keep changing pages to turn the speakerphone on and off.

Here is the simple task that I have to do all the time. I have to call some sort of automated system to pay a bill or something.

First I have to go to phone app, which is off, and it automatically takes me to voice mail, which I have none unread, because the voicemail was the last thing that I do...

Then I have to go to keypad... Which is really a strange title, but none the less, I am there, and I type in the number. I CANNOT go to speaker mode before making the call...

After clicking call I am taken to another screen...

Meanwhile, I am asked to press 1 for spanish, which I can't hear yet. Oh yes speaker, and then I chose keyboard... Oh Crap, I forgot to turn on speaker... So I have to click... Um, end or hide... ****, I just want to turn on the speaker...

Or Maybe I want to turn on three way calling... How do I do that? Oh through contacts??? I don't have a contact for this... ****!!!

And how can I learn how to do this? Because the screens that this show up on only happen if I am in the middle of a phone call...

The point of this, from just making a simple call (not being where I need it to be when I launch the phone app), to manipulating the call so that I can see the keyboard and hear the phone, to using advanced phone functions like three way calling, are bloody, ridiculously hard to do. And it has always been that way...

Why can't Apple come up with a phone app that is graceful and easy to use. Every piece of button pushing, modal, path specific, app centric rather than user centric failures that the apple apps have ever been accused of, continue to live in the phone app.

Why cannot I not have a single screen that simply acts like a phone? Why do I have to have some screens with a menu bar at the bottom? Some screens that are menus, some places where I cannot even turn on the functionality that I want without going backwards. Why does the keyboard "hide", when what I simply want is a speaker button on THAT page, and the calling page for that matter? Why does the screen need to change after call, and change again with more options when the other end picks up, and yet I can't seem to enter into other standard options? You're in the recent's list, and you're trying to find out more about who called you before you... **** it's calling them. Dammit... I didn't want to talk to them yet.... Sigh... Contacts... While the recents call to easy, why do I have access to ALL of the contact information inside the phone app. Oh wait, I am now in maps, i didn't mean for my thumb to hit phone. How do I get back to the phone???? I am not going inside my phone app to write an email... Stop sending me to all sorts of other applications without a way to get back to the phone app I came from. Agghhh!

I know that it is asking a lot... But for heaven's sake. Take the core function of the phone, and put a little usage thought behind the app. Make that key important function BETTER. You're not finished with the app. The app seems like a quicky engineering app designed to test functionality, and not an app that is designed to make the user experience easy and wonderful.

Please make it better...

2. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

No one uses an iPhone to make phone calls. During the 5c and 5s announcement they only mentioned that feature once so it can't be very important.

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

eh, what do you call a keypad then? :confused:

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

On practically every 'dumb phone' I've had, if I were to start typing a number, it would auto-fill in the rest. It wouldn't matter if I only called that number one time years previous, it would still offer it there as an option. Amazing that the iPhone can't do this.

...but then, I find it even more amazing that those same previous phones would also have a nearly infinite call log when I can't even look back 2 weeks.

5. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

It seems you are kind of on your own with these problems. I've never heard any of my dozens of friends with iPhones complain about the same issues or even seen that on these forums, that I remember. Maybe you are a "bit density" after all. :D

6. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Jesus, all this because of the phone app :confused:

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I just find it funny that it's referred to as the "phone app" on a device that is itself a phone. It just seems like saying that one of the features that comes standard on my car is "drive".