dammit what's the rule of canceling a new contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Philberttheduck, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

so my parents bought new att plan without consulting with me so they can get free goddamn phones days before the iphone was coming out.

assuming there is a subsidy, whats the rule on canceling a new contract? is there an outclause (like 14 day window or something)? AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

This probably wont help much

but in the UK its 14 days and you pay for any calls/texts/data used and thats it

3. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I'm not sure how that works in the UK or US, but I have a question too.

When the 3G iPhone comes out, there will be new plans right? Well if I currently have an iPhone plan would it upgrade to a 3G plan or like how would that work? If anyone has knowledge with past phones.

4. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Firstly i dont see the price plans changing as in the UK a voice call is the same cost as a video call - so it would just come out of your normal free minutes.

If the price plans do change eg, more free minz/texts/data then o2 will just text /email you to notify you of the change as they did previously when the iphone tariffs changed.

If the iPhone tariff changes due to something specific to do with the new iPhone just as mobile tv, then you would have to tell o2 you have the new iphone. But chance are they will say activate your new iphone an select the option to use your current number. Your 18month contract will then start again with the new tariff.

That's the general idea, but all will be clear tomorrow or very shortly after if there is a delayed launch....

5. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

Couldn't you just renew the 2 year contract? That's what I'm planning to do since,I just started 2 year contract when I got the iPhone last year.

6. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

7. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

Here is your answer. You have 30 days to cancel a new contract with AT&T (and 14 days to return an iPhone). So, you could wait until Monday, see if there actually is a subsidy and if so, convince your parents to cancel the contract and then setup a new account.

Hope that helps!

8. Philberttheduck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

Thank you very much for your response. You've kept me from going ape-s***

and my parents pay for the plan. i just pay for the extras (txt, internet, whatever is necessary for the iphones services)

9. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I have a bad feeling about this app store. My parents pay my phone bill and once the app store is open for business.. they might suddenly see my bill increase. Unless most of the good apps are free.

10. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

i think it is 10 days. there will be a 10 % restocking fe for the phone though.

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

huh? you pay for apps with your iTunes account

12. Chax macrumors newbie

Chax

That is incorrect. For the iPhone it is 14 days with a 10% restocking fee, just like some people above you stated. :rolleyes:

13. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Wouldn't the App Store be charging the credit card associated with the iTunes account, rather than adding the app charges to the bill? Otherwise, how would unlocked iPhones be able to use the App Store? That would effectively mean you'd have to be on the Apple carriers or nothing.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You buy a phone, you activate and it replaces your current contract with the iPhone contract! No canceling whatsoever.

And since your parents are paying for service, don't swear or get angry.

15. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

That's only true if there is no subsidy on the new phone. If there is, they will not let him get the subsidized price unless his account is eligible for an upgrade and therefore a new contract.

16. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

in the uk on vodafone u can cancel for free if you have 2 months left