Damn... Bought a 15'' cMBP but kind of regret not going retina.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Star Nuts, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

I'm still within the return window but I had a $100 off coupon and now if I try to upgrade, It'll be $500 more for a retina screen and 1 lb lighter. I'm waiting for my SSD and 8GB ram to arrive so hopefully I'll feel better once I get them installed. But I can't stop thinking about that display, especially after seeing how reflective this screen is.

2. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

This is precisely why when I was in the Apple store trying to decide between a 13" Air and the rMBP, I went with the rMBP first...that way if I decide I want a smaller laptop, it makes me feel better about saving the money instead of worse, always wanting to spend that extra 800 bucks on the retina. Ugh. Still trying to completely decide if this rMBP is going to stay with me...only have four more days to decide!

3. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

You still within the 14 days return window, keep It for 13 days return and get the retina MacBook

4. Furifo macrumors 6502

How much were your ram and SSD upgrades? You should minus the cost of them from the $500 extra for the rMBP costs seeing as the rMBP comes with those upgrades as standard anyway - this might make the rMBP a little easier to justify. (This is all based off the assumption that you ordered a 256gb drive).

For me, if I'm going to be using a display all day long, I want it to be as comfortable as possible. If you're intending on working on your computer, you might find the retina display + less reflective screen more comfortable for you. If your comfort is worth the extra upgrade cost, I say go for it.

Just my 2 cents :)

5. Star Nuts thread starter macrumors member

It was $40 for the RAM and $99 for a 128GB SSD. So Around $350 for a better screen, lighter weight, and 112GB extra SSD space. Not so bad.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just return the one you bought and get the one you want.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I would suggest returning it if you are not content, if there is any bit of a regret I feel like it will be difficult to come to terms with your purchase and overcome even slight buyers remorse. It's going to be a process, but it's better than settling in my opinion.

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Keep in mind a lot of apps look like trash on rMBP right now. At least the non-apple ones. It will take time for devs to release elements that take advantage. But if that is not a deterrent and you don't need the extra ports and extendibility and that awesome screen is going to haunt you. (It does me) then get it. Go ahead and get that RFID chip installed under your skin as well. Cause it is so convenient. Long term be damned.

9. Star Nuts thread starter macrumors member

Do you guys think the retina is worth a few hundred dollars? In your opinion.

10. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Yeah

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's only worth it to you if it's worth it in your opinion. Not to be rude but the opinions of others as to whether or not a Retina screen is the way to go shouldn't offer any validation to the decision of computer that you are going to be purchasing. It's a preference thing, neither is "better" than the other, and you have to decide what your preference is.

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Exactly. It was worth it to me because after I saw it, I wanted it. Mind was mad up. No regrets here.

13. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Don't feel that way.

With the number of apps on Retina that look fuzzy or jagged because they've not been optimized... even the Adobe apps will be slow in being updated just for one special model of laptop. Apple's showroom hardly represents all of reality...

Retina is way-cool, but I'd still have a second monitor that represents what everyone else uses when demostrating websites and other graphic product. The higher res display might shroud compression artifacting whereas the lower-density monitor might show every little defect. (even if color accuracy is much lower, there's more to good imagery than color accuracy... seeing things on equipment your customers see is important as well... if they see something wrong, their opinion goes down...)

14. theBostonian Suspended

Not at the moment but it will be next year when they've had enough feedback from people who have used it, retina ready apps, better integrated and discrete GPU, etc etc.

I got the 2.6GHz MBP with a high-res display and I'm very happy with it.

15. chaseychasem macrumors regular

High-resolution antiglare silver silver silver MBP arrived on Monday, promptly upgraded. No lag, no image retention, no incompatibility for critical applications, no regrets.

Certainly, though, if I had no intention of connecting an external display and no professional need to use Microsoft Office or Windows virtualization, maybe I wouldn't be so pleased. Relative cost wasn't even a factor—I'm an academic, and Apple's education pricing made the MBP/MBPr gap trivial. It's about what you need to do with the machine.