Damn, I'm pissed

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
im not pissed at all...the new imac is the future...it is indeed the culmination of the digital hub that can only be achieved with the power of OS X.

plus iPhoto is a kickass product.

tmx590

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
Now, wait a minute...

I think that everyone here is underestimating the full impact of what Apple has unleashed on us today... Consider the larger picture... you can now get a COMPLETE G4 system for $1300... Do you really understand what that means in the marketplace? AND do you really think that Apple is going to let the PowerMacs fester under such tight configurational competion for too long? I think not... The groundwork has been laid.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
No Macintosh abov 1GHz is sad, but tru :(
Stop making those consumer crap and fokus on the old loyal cosumers!

tmx590

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by F/reW/re
Well, I'd say you're not a consumer then, eh?

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
It`s all the hype on http://www.apple.com before the show that really makes me sad. Why all this jelling about a little lamp with an LCD screen on. I`ve seen LCD screens before, seen G4 800MHz before, seen DVDRW before . .

WHere`s the power that was supposed to blow me away? My backstagepass to the future?

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Now you too can have a stylish 80's retro super computer in your kitchen!Maybe you can even program it to do your dishes?But what about the who gives a **** what it looks like workhorse,under my desk?
Nice one apple,I'm gonna go get my hair permed to match! LEMMON!!!
Mark my words,people are going to look back on this "imac" and LAUGH!
Goofy gimmics have a very short lifespan,and I think Apple screwed up big on this one!

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Originally posted by rEd Eye
Now you too can have a stylish 80's retro super computer in your kitchen!Maybe you can even program it to do your dishes?But what about the who gives a **** what it looks like workhorse,under my desk?
Nice one apple,I'm gonna go get my hair permed to match! LEMMON!!!
Mark my words,people are going to look back on this "imac" and LAUGH!
Goofy gimmics have a very short lifespan,and I think Apple screwed up big on this one!
The only thing that they screwed up was the marketing in http://www.apple.com in the days before!!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I have news for u...

I've got news for u buddy...

without a bigger hold on "consumers," whoever u think they are, Apple will never gain a bigger market share. They need to get through to more people. The average computer user is a Windoze user. If Apple can get even a small percentage of these users to convert, then they will have the foothold to expand and do bigger & better things! Quit thinking narrow-minded and look at the BIG picture here...

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Re: I have news for u...

Originally posted by eyelikeart

without a bigger hold on "consumers," whoever u think they are, Apple will never gain a bigger market share. They need to get through to more people. The average computer user is a Windoze user. If Apple can get even a small percentage of these users to convert, then they will have the foothold to expand and do bigger & better things! Quit thinking narrow-minded and look at the BIG picture here...
Thats not a god reason to don`t care about your long time loyal costumers! It`s just an excuse to make more money!

The reason that I`m pissed of is http://www.apple.com marketing the days in advange! Why make a so big deal out of something we have already seen before?

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Re: Point taken eyelikeart.....

Originally posted by agreenster
......but what about the G4 towers? I mean, what the hell?
Well, didn`t iPhoto BLOW U AWAY? U can even crop images :D

sorry, i don`t need that, I need power to be blown away!!

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Re: Re: I have news for u...

Originally posted by eyelikeart

Thats not a god reason to don`t care about your long time loyal costumers! It`s just an excuse to make more money!

The reason that I`m pissed of is http://www.apple.com marketing the days in advange! Why make a so big deal out of something we have already seen before?
Then don't charge 3 times the price of a PC,and people will convert.Duuuh!

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Only geeks care about speed...

They don't know it yet, but Joe & Jane Consumer don't care about processor speed. They've just been conditioned to think they do. Steve's new iMac will 'deprogram' the brainwashed.

And they'll say, "I've got a 2 GIG Pentium. Isn't that, like, the best? Then why can't I burn DVDs? Why can't I have an iPod? I'd love to upload, store, edit, and print my photos all in one place - why can't I? ....Why is it that thing is so small and does all the things I REALLY want it to do with my computer?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
read me rEd Eye

Of course it's about money! Money is what keeps companies in business. But, keep in mind, it's not entirely about money.

How the hell do u think they are going to succeed if they don't branch out and get more customers? iPhoto is a consumer level application to edit photos....it should blow u away that Apple creates these applications and then....get this, gives them away FREE! This is part of the "digital hub" that Apple's creating. No other computer company is doing anything quite like this.

U say that u need power to be blown away, but didn't u mention that u don't even have a computer in the first place?! How could someone who doesn't own a computer complain about needing speed in one? U obviously don't need it that much if u don't even warrant a purpose to have a computer in the first place. Honestly, u should get that big chip off your shoulder....it's not healthy...

TWISTED

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
To everyone complaining about the hype:

Hello, McFly...

Apple USED you. Plain and simple. The purpose of hype is to raise awareness, and by getting your panties in a wad over the last week you helped Apple accomplish this. They suckered you. Plain and simple.

Apple isn't here to cater to your inflated egos. The company does not revolve around you. They are a business, who above all else, needed to upgrade it's four year old consumer line. If you ever wondered why they are losing market share, you could look to the outdated iMac line. That all changed today.

Open your eyes and grow up.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Lets have a bit of perpective here!

1. The new imac is a good improvement on the last model. Do people agree with that? Its a different shape but I think it will grow on people. It has on me.

2. The offer on apple lcd monitors ends on 31st January which probably means that we will get updated powermacs in febuary! We can wait a month cant we?

I was in the market for a new tower so I am a bit pissed but there is nothing we can do about it. We do know that there is are loads of features waiting to go into the new powermac!

Eg. USB2, Firewire2, DDRAM, faster bus, geforce 4, G5 etc I think you will agree that a machine with all this is worth waiting for?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Don't bother with Logic.

For many of these sad fools It's about Apple not making an expandable, free, multi-processor, multi-terahertz machine that updates itself, both HW and SW every day. Oh yeah, and only if THEY have the only one.

kaneda

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2001
I am very pissed!

More than half people in here have the urge for more power. We all disappointed that the new towers weren't upgraded. The imac looks nice...but I don't go for style. I go for power!! the faster the better...I am sure the new imac will make a lot of money for Apple...but I am sure they will make more money if they upgraded their towers.

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
Maybe Apple is giving us teaspoons of its line...My understanding is that AMD was trying to steal the show today by introducing its new Mhz rating and junk...Oh and I believe Intel wanted some action aswell, right? Good things will come, guys, don't worry...Apple really is trying to expand it's consumer base...Was I a little disappointed...Sure, but by reading the posts, I'm starting to see the plan...Don't be closed minded, just to be a dick.

whitegold

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Pluses and Minuses

There are pluses and minuses to the keynote, I think.

The additional power is great for OSX, and getting everyone on that "new thang" is important to Apple. The screens are good, and the way they've done it is quite nice.

Personally, I wouldn't get one, but my mum would love it. If I'd let her have a Mac, anyway.

Those are the people apple need to get. The people who just want a computer. Basic needs. Consumer machine... mmm pretty.

On the down side, it really does look like a lamp : )

Unfortunately the price is too high. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's expensive for what you get. It's pretty good value considering what you get. BUT it's pretty expensive for a computer. The addition of a G4 and particularly flat panels comes at a real price, and that price may cause joe and jane to look for a less pretty machine.

I agree with RedEye to a large degree. Value for money is nice. But sometimes there's value to keeping things cheaper.

For the price of a new iMac I could get a top end Athlon with a 19" monitor. But hey, that is just MY needs.

iPhotos rock. I think some parts of it are fairly irrelevant. In many ways I was reminded of Windows, and how superiority often can be invented by making things seem harder than they really are. (Seriously people, how hard is it to put an AOL CD in and make it work?) Windows XP has a lot of the advantages of iPhotos, for example. The "chain of pain"? what ********. You just go to the digital camera like it's a hard drive. It opens automatically on connecting. Browse using the thumbnail view, or built in image viewer. You can even ORDER PRINTS ONLINE! Did Microsoft copy this one?

If you use ACDSEE, the new version also gives you some of the other features, metadata addition and album creation and storage.

Personally I do so much digital media stuff daily that I abandoned the newest version in favour of an older version. Small fast, less features.

Oh, and you can crop in acdsee, too. Hell, you could crop in LView (1993).

That being said iPhoto is a really nice addition to OSX. Great for consumers. Has some features I found very impressive, like dynamic resizing of thumbnails.

All that being said, I think that one thing I really question is apples whole digital hub concept.

Center of my digital lifestyle? I don't have a digital lifestyle. I'm still having trouble with my old analogue lifestyle! I don't HAVE a digital camera, still or video. I don't WANT to make digital videos. I don't have an mp3 player.

I would personally question this assumption that within the next few months everyone will be taking mp3s from their mp3 player make background music to use in the DVD they're making of the footage they just shot with their DV camera.

Sure, it's nice that you can do it. Though to be completely honest, it's not like it's that hard on a PC (except for the burning, that is).

I personally am not sure that they're right about the direction to take there. I think most people still just want a computer to do... you know... computer things on it.

Games, anyone? The addition of GF2MX cards is great, particularly on a machine limited to 1024x768 anyway. But there needs to be games to play on them. They're getting some, but just not enough.

The desktop is next for revision. That was what I really wanted to see. I'll still be interested to take a look.

It's going to have to be good. Some of apple's markets (digital video, graphic design, etc) are VERY performance driven, and apple is losing ground there with the stagnant performance of the current architectures.

Anyway, enough from me...

lfrey1

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
what a bunch of S**T!

What are you talking about?

Look, guys, I KNOW these people. I work with Joe User every day. They don't get it. They use WinSUXASS machines because THEY THINK EVERYBODY ELSE DOES. It's that simple. Bill Gates and his motley pack of thieves have NEVER innovated. EVER. The fact the XP is "easier to use" is the very reason why this machine HAD to come from Apple.

Piss me off.

I am tired of the platform war. It's been decades. I'm tired of CHEAP **** being pawned off as equipment by hack organizations such as Compaq and the like.

Let a "normal" user get a freaky error message with a bunch of error codes in it, and watch them freak the hell out. Tell them to go deal with their friggin' BIOS file to deal with the fact that the stupid machine can't recognize a hard drive.

Then tell me that Apple doesn't get it. Then tell me that "power" is the key. *********, I'm sorry. I've just heard SO MUCH CRAP in the last few days, I just can't take it anymore.

As for graphic designers, film makers, etc. They're STILL on the mac platform. We're fine. We love our Ti Books, we love our G4 Towers. We need this company to SURVIVE and to INSPIRE us. If any design switches platforms, I argue that designer HAS NO SOUL for things that make people excited about their life.

Get off the damn power bandwagon, PLEASE!

This machine is revolutionary. This strategy is evidentally so right on that Dr. ******* Gates has to copy it.

Enough. Let's support our platform for a change, instead of being a bunch of pricks with unrealistic expecations. Go Steve.