Damn. I'm really starting to contemplate if I should just build a PC...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Star Nuts, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

I've been waiting for a new iMac since the beginning of the year and it just seems that it's never going to come. It doesn't sound that long when I think that it's barely July but it feels like a helluva long time! I really start to wonder if I should just build my own PC and end this agonizing wait. But then I remember Windows. How I would hate to take that plunge then see the new iMac unveiled in all it's glory while i kick myself for being so impatient. Why Apple!? Why does thou torment me!?

*sigh*

It's only a matter of time until I give in...

2. deblewis macrumors member

I'm losing hope myself.. I see all these rumors coming out about iPhone, iPad mini, etc and still not a bit of evidence for a new iMac... seems if it were going to be July we'd be hearing something..

3. chilly willy macrumors regular

chilly willy

I feel your pain. A lot of us on here clearly itching to pay Apple some $$$$ for a new iMac.

If we go past July, it might get ugly on here.:eek:

4. salacious macrumors 6502a

if they don't come out with something in 2 months, I'm building my own pc, apples super secrecy is starting to wear thin.

5. Star Nuts thread starter macrumors member

I feel like I'm wasting my life away constantly checking this damn forum in hope that one day I'll see a topic that confirms a release date. This is becoming an unhealthy obsession.

6. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I think everyone should chill out and quit crying like a baby that the new iMac isn't out yet. When they are ready they will be released. Until then RELAX!!!!!!

James

7. deblewis macrumors member

or it will be real quiet because folks left..

8. Gaiduku macrumors member

I'm thinking the exact same thing. Spent this last weekend looking up newegg video tutorials and pricing up components. I now have a build saved for around £720. It's not a beast but it's better than the current iMacs and will probably be on par/ slightly better than the spec bump whenever it occurs.

The only things that are putting me off are I guess the same for everyone - having to love with windows and the potential threat from viruses. However recently I've had to deal with windows 7 at work and it's.....pretty good tbh. Vista was a joke but it looks like Microsoft have learnt from their mistakes

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's not "as" overdue as you might think from a hardware perspective. Appropriate cpus launched at the end of May. I'm not sure with gpus. It depends what they want to use in the top option there. They aren't going from a 6970m to a to a 650m.

10. Payton macrumors regular

Payton

You must have not wanted an iMac that bad to begin with if you're willing to build a PC as an alternative…

Strange logic around these parts, I do think.

11. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

I hate to break it to you, but it is already an unhealthy obsession. Take a breath, go outside. It'll be okay, I promise. It looks like you are on the Internet just fine with whatever machine you are using. It sounds like you are just incredibly bored.

12. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I just took the PC homebuild that I used before buying my rmbp apart today, kind of sad about it. Building PC's is great fun but a little worrying when there is the potential to break expensive stuff. That said carrying around a 2grand laptop is worrying in a different way...

13. jmhart macrumors regular

Welcome to the club. I've been waiting since last fall, putting off building a PC in hopes of being able to move to an iMac instead. I've already decided my wait is over after this month.

Don't forget to vote here if you haven't already.

14. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

15. Cygnus311 macrumors regular

Just build it. I built mine last week and I have no regrets. Been a Mac user my whole life too. My PC cost me $500 less than the top of the line iMac and demolishes it in performance. Not even next year's iMac (if Apple ever builds another again) will come close to this thing's power.

16. WRP macrumors 6502a

Yeah... let's switch operating systems, all of our programs, etc just because you don't have a shiny new iMac. There are other options. I bet you guys don't even have outdated systems, you just want something new and shiny.

17. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

The thing with that is that some (professional) people have thousands of dollars invested in Mac software, and their workflows will be demolished by switching to a new operating system. Believe me, I wish that I could just get out from under Apple's thumb and lose nothing more than Microsoft Office.

18. Cygnus311 macrumors regular

My MacBook was 6 years old. So, you're wrong. Most programs I use are free anyway except for games, none of which I was playing on that MacBook.

19. dkersten macrumors 6502a

I built a PC with two 1TB HDDs and a 256GB SSD for $100 less than the base 27in iMac. Not to mention my graphics card isn't a mobile GPU. Its pretty sad that Apple can't even put in a desktop GPU in their desktops.

Anyways, I've never been too big a fan of Windows but Win7 is pretty stable and I haven't had any issues with viruses or the OS so I'm pretty happy about it.

20. AppleInMyBlood macrumors regular

Is the PC you built an all-in-one? AFAIK all all-in-ones, both Windows and Mac, have mobile GPUs because the heat of a desktop GPU would be too much for the slim case.

21. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

This isn't necessarily a knock on apple per se. But if you want to stay on the cutting edge with hardware, Apple isn't really the best way to go. You're on their time schedule, not yours.

22. Gaiduku macrumors member

Perhaps this shows apples disregard for desktops. You ether by an all in one computer with mobile technology or spend silly money on the mac pro which apple refuses to update properly

23. dkersten macrumors 6502a

While you're probably right, I'd still like to see them pull it off. I mean if they could put a retina display in an iPad, they should be able to put a real GPU in the iMac, even if it means making it a little thicker (which I realize is very un-Apple).

Oh well, all this means is the iMac is not for me

24. sukai macrumors regular

i really wouldn't mind it being thicker. Also didn't apple make their new ipad thicker than the previous one?

25. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

By something like 1mm