Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
houston
ok, maybe someone can explain a few things to me b4 i lodge my official opinion of hating iTunes:
1) is there anyway to organize my iTunes floder other than the way the program auto organizes my files? i dont like it making 500 folders and sticking tons of things in some unknown file. but if i play things from a folder elsewhere it keeps sticking the songs in the iTunes folders which if i keep deleting wont it start fragmenting my drive??

2) can you change the mp3's file name for REAL. i have songs that iTunes (like winamp) call by all sorts of weird names rather than what they are. EX: my Dana Glover song "thinking over" is listed as song name: Dana GLover- thinking over, Artist COLDPLAY, Album, In My Place....um, sure iTunes, whatever you think.

anyoneave any thoughts?:confused:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: damn iTunes!!

Originally posted by uhlawboi80

2) can you change the mp3's file name for REAL. i have songs that iTunes (like winamp) call by all sorts of weird names rather than what they are. EX: my Dana Glover song "thinking over" is listed as song name: Dana GLover- thinking over, Artist COLDPLAY, Album, In My Place....um, sure iTunes, whatever you think.

You know you can change these fields yourself. Just click on the field you want to change and make the changes yourself.

The changes should be saved... in that they should be saved in special "tags" along with the MP3 file.... these are recognized by most players.

I've had problems with these changes "sticking" somtimes... and the solution would be to go to Advanced, and click on Convert ID3 Tags... and just choose a recent version which supports most of the fields.

arn

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
houston
well while trying to get the file to stop being annoying i found how to stop the stupid auto sort thing....but i know how to change the file name i can look at. it says what i want it to, but in iTunes itself it lists things that ARENT part of the file name i see...and i cant seem to figure out where to change that. and several other MP3s do similar things....is there any way i can change the mp3s so that the artist shows up under artist, title shows up under title etc??

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by uhlawboi80
but i know how to change the file name i can look at. it says what i want it to, but in iTunes itself it lists things that ARENT part of the file name i see...and i cant seem to figure out where to change that. and several other MP3s do similar things....is there any way i can change the mp3s so that the artist shows up under artist, title shows up under title etc??

Yes.... as I said before. Click on the name you want to change in iTunes and it should change to an edit box, and type the name

If there are fields you want to change otherwise, you can File->GetInfo and click on the Tags Tab and edit it that way if you prefer.

arn

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
the only thing that i would like to see added to itunes is the super-tagging feature from musicmatch jukebox on pcs....all you have to do is select a whole bunch of songs and do a "super-tag" and it will find the most closely related correct tags from a server and let you decide if they are correct...only problem with musicmatch is it wasn't free like itunes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.