Dancing college grads dragged off stage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, May 7, 2018.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Black graduates who were upholding a tradition of "strutting" off stage after given their diplomas, were physically dragged off of the stage by a yet to be identified usher. Forgetting race for a second here, who in the hell thinks its ok to put their hands on someone and drag them anywhere just because they are moving off stage just a wee bit slower than other people? Even if you wanted to do so, why would you think this would end well? Video in link.

"University of Florida President Kent Fuchs acknowledged that the school had been “inappropriately aggressive” while rushing graduates across the stage Saturday, a videotaped incident that has stirred controversy online amid suggestions that the white usher was motivated by race because the students were black."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/universit...shering-graduates-off-stage/story?id=54979432

2. 0007776 Suspended

Seems like a bad idea as even if they are being disruptive to the flow of the graduation ceremony physically pulling them off is almost guaranteed to be more disruptive.

3. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The usher was wrong for manhandling the grad's. And the graduates are wrong for wasting a lot of people's time. I've been to more ceremonies than I care to and having to sit for an extra 30 minutes to an hour because every grad wants to do his stupid dance would grate on my nerves.:mad: The school should have told them before the ceremony that they need to precede quickly after receiving their diploma.

Back in my day, we celebrated by tossing our caps into the air. That's the way it was and we liked it.:p

4. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

Perhaps it was a bit overly draconian, but there’s a manner in which one conducts oneself at these events and dancing around on the stage falls short.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Those godforsaken things are like 4hrs long and holy hell are they painful when your last name starts with "W". I'd shoot the ****ers off the stage like a game of Hogans Alley.

6. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

It’s a graduation ceremony not “So you think you can dance”. They shouldn’t have manhandled them, but at the same time the grads should know how to properly conduct themselves in public.

Seems like ****** parenting is a root cause of the problem.

7. ActionableMango, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018

ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

If 5,500 graduates take an extra 3 seconds to "celebrate their story", the ceremony will take an extra 4.6 hours.

Edit: I just read that the graduating class size was about 10,000. If everyone took an extra 3 seconds it would add an extra 8.3 hours to the ceremony.

8. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

I don't agree with how they handled it but the celebrations should be held after the graduation.

The ceremony itself is symbolic for the pride of graduation. That's it.

9. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Did you guys miss this part:

"University of Florida graduate Christopher Garcia-Wilde also said the usher appeared to shove only black students who wanted to celebrate on stage “by strolling, which is a cultural tradition in historically black fraternities and sororities.” Other students who took slightly more time on stage were rushed, but not in an aggressive manner, he said."

The usher put his hands on the black students but not the white ones. Come on.

10. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Graduating from college is a big deal, especially for many students of color! This higher ed admin thinks dancing at graduation is a welcome addition.

11. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

How is it possible that UF didn’t make it clear what would and would not be tolerated on stage? High Schools tell their graduates what and what not to do.

UF handled this poorly, but how about adults (many of whom are about to enter the professional world) act like they’ve been there before?
    --- Post Merged, May 7, 2018 ---
    Well, did it appear that way or did it actually happen?

And didn’t you tell everyone to set aside race in your OP? :p

12. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

It did happen. You can see it in the videos.

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Do you have a link to a video showing him treating the black grads different from the white ones?

Not saying I don’t believe you, but all I’ve seen are videos of him pulling the black grads off. That doesn’t necessarily mean that white kids were doing the same thing while he did nothing

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

The students were pretty idiotic for dancing during the ceremony but the manhandling off the stage is pure bizarre. If they were only doing this to black students too then it’s yet another race issue coming out of the land of the not free.

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Did they have some kind of rule like “take your diploma and walk off the stage because it’s not all about you”?

16. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I can't speak for that specific University, but my high school and my university graduation ceremonies both had that rule.

In my cases, there was no usher manhandling people. The threatened disciplinary action was to delay release of the real diploma by some long period I can't remember. (The rolled paper they hand you during the ceremony is fake.)

In retrospect, the threatened disciplinary action seems like a bluff. Maybe in my high school they could identify the guilty party, but at my university with a graduating class of 5,500 students? No way.

17. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

This might not be the most PC thing to say, but I’m going with: don’t be a jackass. Take your diploma and get off the stage as quickly as possible. Be respectful to the other people. If there were white kids acting like idiots then they should have gotten slapped upside the head too.

18. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If they record the entire ceremony they can go back to the tape and determine exactly who it was that acted inappropriately.

Tell them that you’ll withhold their transcripts for six months. Prospective employer wants proof of your grades? Too bad. Tell them that you exercised poor judgment during graduation and you can’t show them your grades.

19. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Here's a thing being left out though...

It is a tradition so the school knew it was coming, why not tell ALL the students it won't be allowed this year?

Also, supposedly the stroll is a 5 - 10 second version of the Greek organizations signature dance.

Why was it suddenly without warning not allowed this year?

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

How could they dance with all that crushing debt?

I know the ceremonies are long but some entertainment factor would be appreciated...

21. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Yeah I mean it's a ceremony, a celebration. Why act like mindless robots? As long as it's brief and respectful, why not? You only graduate once.

22. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

No I dont, sorry.