Danes Taking The Brunt

skunk

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4664408.stm
Danes face growing Muslim storm

Denmark has advised citizens against travel to Saudi Arabia, amid growing anger across the Muslim world at Danish depictions of the Prophet Muhammad. A newspaper that published cartoons of the Prophet, one of which pictured a bomb hidden in his turban, apologised on Monday for offending Muslims. Islam bans any depiction of the Prophet Muhammad or Allah. The backlash has included a boycott of Danish goods, diplomatic sanctions, and Islamic militant threats.

The editor of the Jyllands-Posten newspaper told a Jordanian news agency: "These cartoons were not in violation of Danish law but have irrefutably offended many Muslims, and for that we apologise."

'High watchfulness'

The Danish Prime Minister, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, responded: "It delights me enormously that Jyllands-Posten took this evening a very essential step." But he again refused to apologise himself, and defended the freedom of the press. "The Danish government cannot apologise on behalf of a Danish newspaper. It does not work like that... and we have explained that to the Arab countries. Independent media are not edited by the government," he said.

The Danish foreign ministry advised against non-essential travel to Saudi Arabia and urged Danes to be cautious in other Muslim countries. "Danes who choose to stay in Saudi Arabia should show extraordinarily high watchfulness," it said on its website. Saudi Arabia has recalled its ambassador to Denmark, while Libya said it was closing its embassy in Copenhagen.

On Monday masked gunmen briefly stormed the local office of the EU in Gaza, demanding apologies from Denmark and Norway, where a paper reprinted the cartoons. The Danish Red Cross said it had pulled two employees out of Gaza, following a threat from the militant al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, Reuters reported.

A statement on the internet purporting to be from an Iraqi militant group called on fighters to "hit whatever targets possible belonging to these two countries and others that follow their steps". Meanwhile pan-Arab organisations have begun efforts to reach a UN resolution, backed by possible sanctions, to protect religions from insults.

THE ROW SO FAR
30 January: Gunmen raid EU's Gaza office (pictured)
29 January: Libya says it will close its embassy in Denmark
28 January: Danish company Arla places advertisements in Mid-East newspapers trying to stop a boycott
26 January: Saudi Arabia recalls its ambassador
20 January: Ambassadors in Denmark of 10 Muslim countries complain to the Danish PM​
Well really! You can take freedom of speech too far! :rolleyes:

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
When's the last time that someone in the west was prosecuted for defaming Jesus? It's probably more recent than I would like to think but anyone who takes a prophet so seriously is pretty insecure about who and what they are. Maybe that's the whole point.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Ugg said:
When's the last time that someone in the west was prosecuted for defaming Jesus? It's probably more recent than I would like to think but anyone who takes a prophet so seriously is pretty insecure about who and what they are. Maybe that's the whole point.
Excellent point. People mock Gebus all the time.. oh wait..;) Well anyways, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
The story is going wider. France Soir, Die Welt, La Stampa and El Periodico have all reprinted the cartoons.
I just spoke to my girlfriend (who lives in the city where the Jyllands-Posten is published) who said that there, the Danish right wing groups were organising a mass Koran burning session outside of the town hall.
The GCC has asked the Danish government to punish the Jyllands-Posten for publishing the cartoons.
This might get ugly.

skunk

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Or interesting. Isn't it funny how George Bush spent a trillion or so dollars to inflame the Muslim world, and a little Danish newspaper has managed it with a few lousy Kroner?

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
skunk said:
Or interesting. Isn't it funny how George Bush spent a trillion or so dollars to inflame the Muslim world, and a little Danish newspaper has managed it with a few lousy Kroner?
I understand that the Danes value that ability highly ;)
Leaves them more money to spend on decent healthcare, transport, education etc. ;)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
skunk said:
I suppose the question then is "Should we care?"
I think we should all try and be understanding of each other's cultures, but I believe in freedom of speech. Not freedom to not be offended.

Lethal

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
LethalWolfe said:
I think we should all try and be understanding of each other's cultures, but I believe in freedom of speech. Not freedom to not be offended.

Lethal
Absolutely, and part of that understanding is that caricature is firmly entrenched in our culture. Muslims, especially those living in Europe or the US should realize it and accept that their religious beliefs are sometimes going to conflict with our right to expression.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
The real important question remains to be answered...

Will this effect me being able to get high-quality, well-designed modern furnishings?

skunk

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
blackfox said:

Will this effect me being able to get high-quality, well-designed modern furnishings?
There should be no problem there as long as you're suitably apologetic. But that shouldn't be difficult for you...;)

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
blackfox said:

You're thinking of the Swedes, not the Danes. The Danes do make Legos, though.;)

skunk

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
OnceUGoMac said:
You're thinking of the Swedes, not the Danes. The Danes do make Legos, though.;)
Haven't you heard of "Danish Modern"? But seriously, they do have a solid furniture industry. Besides, nobody mentioned "cheap"...

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
skunk said:
Haven't you heard of "Danish Modern"?
You can't trick me, skunk. There's no way that they can create modern furniture. Denmark's too small. Therefore, they build small...Legos.:p

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Its amazing how Islamists have no issue with watching videos of the beheadings of Americans, but an illustration of Mahammad is blasphemous???

FREEKIN SICKO'S!!!

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
OnceUGoMac said:
As Skunk noted - The Danes do indeed make excellent furniture - (they seem to like teak a great deal)...As for the Swedes, I am content to drive their automobiles (I've had three Volvos and now drive a Saab [pre-GM, just barely] ).

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
I think they got off easy this time. At least no one issued a death sentence fatwa like it happened with Salman Rushdie's "The satanic verses".

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
blackfox said:
As Skunk noted - The Danes do indeed make excellent furniture - (they seem to like teak a great deal)...As for the Swedes, I am content to drive their automobiles (I've had three Volvos and now drive a Saab [pre-GM, just barely] ).
My parents have a very nice pair of matching Dutch oak, free standing cabinets they bought off some Gypsies at a flea market in Belgium (I think). I can't remember if it was during his first 4 year stint (military) in Europe or his 2nd though.

Lethal

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
LethalWolfe said:
My parents have a very nice pair of matching Dutch oak, free standing cabinets they bought off some Gypsies at a flea market in Belgium (I think). I can't remember if it was during his first 4 year stint (military) in Europe or his 2nd though.

Lethal
Outside of the general scandinavian furniture comaraderie, do the Dutch and Belgians have much in common with the Danes and Swedes?;)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
blackfox said:
(they seem to like teak a great deal)
They ain't the only ones...

I'm thinking of trying my hand on a pair of teak adirondack chairs in the not -to-distant future. Once I save up enough to afford the wood of course...