Dang I scratched my screen up already on my brand new 5 : (

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krashx7, Oct 6, 2012.

1. krashx7 macrumors regular

I cant believe it scratched that easily. I was rough as can be on my 3gs and it never scratched this bad.. What are the chances that apple will put a new screen on it in store? I read online that they can do it much easier with the 5. Will they charge me? Dang this sucks :(

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. krashx7 thread starter macrumors regular

I cant take a pic.. the only camera i have is the phone itself. Youve never seen scatches before??

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes they will charge you. Why would you think they'd give you a free screen replacement?

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

i have

7. CatsTide macrumors 6502

Dang,what a coincident...I just got a new 3gs and it is scratched up as well. wanna trade?

8. krashx7 thread starter macrumors regular

I have heard that sometimes they will do it for free. Just hear say..

9. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Go to a mirror and take it with the front camera or ask a friend to use their camera :cool:

Unlucky though.

10. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

11. bobright macrumors 601

No pics we don't believe you you need more people

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

I have no sympathy for anyone who scratches their phone. I've had all six iPhone models over the years as well as all three iPads as well as various portable consoles including the PS Vita and 3DS and never scratched any of them. As for a free replacement screen it's not going to happen and there is no reason for Apple to repair it for free. Some people need to do a better job of looking after their stuff.

13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Take yourself and your iPhone to a genius appointment and see how you fair.

You don't need to supply a picture of the damage to gain help from me.

In this world you don't get if you don't ask !

14. Funnone macrumors regular

That's like saying I just bought a new car and I scratched it you think they will repaint it for free for me:eek:

15. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

While I do agree with the above, surely the OP realizes that if the screen really scratched "that easily" this forum would be buried with similar complaints? It probably scratched easily due to whatever actually did the scratching.

16. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

This doesn't pass the smell test. Either you use a case or don't use them or need contacts otherwise you have scratches

17. KojiH macrumors 6502

I have had two iPhone 4's for the past 2 years. One I bought for myself, the other was given to me by my employer.

On my personal phone I installed screen protector film from day 1.
    On my work phone I did not install a screen protector.

Both are kept in the same pants pocket and are exposed to the same daily wear and tear.

To this day, my personal iPhone 4 screen is still scratch free under the film. My work phone, on the other hand, has incurred a 1 inch curved vertical scratch at the top of the screen.

So when I got my new personal iPhone 5 the first thing I did was install screen protection film.

The phone screens are made of GLASS, not diamond or sapphire. They can and WILL scratch.

Good luck getting Apple to comp a replacement for your personal mishandling...

18. wookiee2cu macrumors member

If you have an apple store near you, take it in and show them. It is totally at their discretion if they swap you out a new phone or tell you how much it will cost. They do advertise this glass as being scratch resistant but it doesn't mean it won't scratch. Either way, the worst they can say is no so you really don't have anything to lose. Just go in with a good attitude and be friendly, that is your best chance. Someone dropped theirs on the first day of launch and the screen shattered and apple replaced it so it does happen.

19. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I'm waiting for Power Support's anti-glare film personally. Until then, I'm being very, very careful.

20. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

21. krashx7 thread starter macrumors regular

Believe it or not I have been careful with the phone. Or at least I thought I was.. I have a case on it I just decided to go without the screen protector this time. I had one on my 4s and it always gave it this blurry look.. Plus when I took it off there was this weird square around the earphone area. I guess from normal wear on the unprotected area?

Anyway, I think I did it taking it in and out of my pocket and it must of rubbed against my belt.. I guess I'll try my luck at the apple store tomorrow. I'll post back with my results.

22. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

This is why I always use screen protectors. I never understood why people make such a fuss over them. The crystal clear ones... you cant even tell are there...nor barely feel.

23. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

24. norwegian wood macrumors regular

think of it as a new car, after the first scratch the rest wont bother you