Dangerous Trend in Campaigns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RacerX, Oct 9, 2008.

1. RacerX macrumors 65832

While some people might point to lies and mud slinging as one of the more disturbing aspects of this election season, I've been noticing a trend that is far worse and has a direct adverse effect on the public...

Campaigns pretending to already have power and authority.

The first example of this was when McCain flew to Mississippi to get briefed on preparations for Hurricane Gustav by Governor Haley Barbour. Why was this governor taking time away from getting his state ready to brief McCain and Palin? Neither of these two people play any role in the local government, nor was McCain's role in the national government related (in anyway) to the pending crisis.

The second example, which even more people are familiar with, was McCain suspending his campaign to inject himself into the Bailout talks. McCain's role in the senate didn't put him in any special position to play a part, but it seemed that being a candidate was enough to make him important.

And today the McCain/Palin campaign released a report clearing Palin of any wrong doing in Troopergate. So it now appears that campaigns can unilaterally clear themselves in investigations ( :rolleyes: note to Obama, you guys can now clear yourselves of the Ayers stuff).

I don't recall ever having seen anything quite like this in the past (with the notable exception of a sitting president dealing with affairs of state). And I have to wonder if the McCain campaign realizes (or cares) that they run the risk of hurting the people when they pretend to have power and authority that they don't actually have.

Someone needs to tell these people that running for president isn't (in any way) the same as being the president. If it was, then anyone running for president would have the right to inject themselves into any situation they wanted.

So far I haven't seen much notice of this trend playing out in the media, but then again, this type of stuff helps generate news so why would they be against that. :eek:

2. JLatte macrumors 6502

The last point I agree with you on... however it's funny because for the first two points if Obama had done the exact same thing I doubt anyone would be complaining. Oh, and speaking of acting presidential, need I remind you about Obama in Berlin?

3. RacerX thread starter macrumors 65832

I would have been.

Quite frankly, I felt that if Barbour could take the time away from a crisis to brief McCain/Palin, he could have done the same for me. Those two people had no special status in the crisis compared to the rest of the general population of this nation.

I guess you need to.

Did he do something above and beyond his place as a US Senator on his visit? Did he do something that we've never seen a US Senator (who wasn't running for president) do?

If I missed something... and I don't care which candidate, outline it in full here. I started this thread without using McCain's name in the title because I figured that others (either in this campaign or previous elections) may have done the same.

So by all means, please document any and all examples... do not allude, flat out tell us of examples.

The problem is that if anyone, and I mean anyone, can get away with it now, then others will use these events as a template for behavior in the future.

We, the people, have to make a stand on this type of thing.

4. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Sounds like poilitics as usual to me. I see this in Europe all the time. The minority/opposition plays 'shadow government', issues shadow budgets, engages in foreign relations, comments on everything the government does and tells the press what they would've done instead... and not just right before the election, they do it 365 days a year.

5. RacerX thread starter macrumors 65832

But that is the role of a 'shadow government'... by design it should be ready with policies if they become the majority.

And in fact, I have felt that the 12th Amendment to the Constitution was a seriously flawed change in our government. The fact that one of our branches can be fully controlled (and apparently avoid any oversight) by a single party has become quite a liability. And the fact that the Republican party expresses such fear of losing that control proves that they are aware that there is a problem (though they are fine with it when it is their party abusing the system).

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I agree with you there. They are all lieing self servicing scum bags. Obama and McCain are both just self servicing, power hungry liers full of nothing more than empty promises.