Dark marks from hands/palms on white unibody...what is Apple's policy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Eric-PTEK, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

My 4 month old Macbook has dark marks from where my palms sit.

Yes I know it happens and I was going to use the eraser but the plastic actually looks etched.

My 4 year old Dell D620 finally started to develop that look after year 3 and it got heavy usage.

So the plastic looks damaged from a regular use point after 4 months. Personally I do not care but I plan on selling it and going to a MBP but I feel after 4 months of usage that a buyer would expect something in close to perfect condition, which it is, except for the etching.

Has Apple replaced the plastic on these that prematurely wear?

2. johnnyham macrumors regular

Define "etched". Are we talking like gouge marks here?

As far as I know, Apple only replaces cases if they've recognized a problem in the manufacturing, i.e. the cracked palm rest fiasco of the old white Macbooks. Your best bet is to take it to an Apple store or an authorized dealer and ask them. If you don't have any of those around, perhaps you could find a nice Apple rep online and email them pictures.

As for me, I get dark spots on my mid-2009 white Macbook. I find that rubbing them down with 70% isopropyl alcohol cleans it off very nicely. You might want to give that a shot.