Dark Mode mixes with the wallpaper?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by cww, Oct 15, 2018.

1. cww macrumors newbie

cww

I have a yellow wallpaper, Mojave mixes the wall paper with the dark mode... so it's more brown-ish than that dark grey. I've been looking, unsuccessfully, for a way to disable this ... is it possible? I want to keep my wallpaper and have the normal-non-mixed dark theme.

2. alexclst macrumors member

alexclst

Reduce Transparency under Display in the Accessibility pane of System Preferences should do what you want.

3. cww thread starter macrumors newbie

cww

Thanks for the suggestion, that works for the menus and what not, but Finder is still mixing the colours :(

4. frou macrumors 6502

frou

Change the Accent Colour in Sys Prefs > General to "Graphite" and that behaviour gets disabled

5. cww thread starter macrumors newbie

cww

Thanks, but this didn't work either. The menus and everything are graphite, but the background of any window isn't.

Attached Files:

6. StellarVixen, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018

StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Yeah, this appears to be broken. It is a bug. Even the Notification Center stays transparent when reduce transparency is turned on, you have to log out and log in for it to work.

Such a shame. They have been developing the dark mode for years, and they overlooked this.

7. frou macrumors 6502

frou

In that screenshot, your Accent Colour hasn't yet been switched to Graphite (since the window's close/minimise buttons are still red/yellow).

8. cww thread starter macrumors newbie

cww

Ah-ha, well spotted.. I'd changed the highlight colour instead. We're almost there now, the favourites bar in Finder still has some transparency/ colour mix with the wall paper. But, I think that's as close as it's going to get for now. Thanks for the help!

9. StellarVixen, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018

StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

A little bit unrelated to the Dark Mode, but is related on how bad "reduce transparency" is.

The drop down from the address search area looks horrible, and reflects the wallpaper color, for no good reason.

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 11.03.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 10.57.38 PM.png