Dark Streak On Center Of Screen, Late 2011 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RyanS13, Nov 27, 2011.

1. RyanS13 macrumors newbie

I got a macbook pro about a week after the late 2011 refresh.

Ive noticed when I'm viewing websites that have a black background that there's a slightly noticeable black streak up the center of the screen. It doesn't go straight up though it kind of goes up at an angle.

Also the part of the screen that has the dark streak feels hotter to the touch than any other part of the screen.

I tried to take a picture of it but it doesn't really show.

What could this be? And what will apple do if I make a genius bar appointment? Will they replace it, or have to send it in for service? I bought it about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

2. PS65 macrumors 6502

Sounds very much like a warped screen. I suggest you take it into the store/phone Apple Care as soon as possible.

3. RyanS13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will they replace it on site though since I just bought it a couple weeks ago?
    I really don't want to have to be without it for 2 weeks.

4. PS65 macrumors 6502

If it was purchased from the shop (ie. not a custom build) and you explain you're unhappy, then they should.

If it was a custom build, phone Apple Care. This happened to me on my new machine and I explained I could not be with my machine, so they let me keep hold of my machine until the new one came.

5. RyanS13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I purchased it from best buy. So I don't know if thats another option too. Could I just go through best buy and get a replacement and then they go through the hassle of fixing it?

6. PS65 macrumors 6502

I would really suggest you don't accept a screen fix. It's a horrible part to replace and I will argue, from experience, it will not be aligned properly.

Why should you accept a repair if you have spent all that money and it has a problem already?

7. RyanS13 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I meant. If I went through best buy I wonder if they would just give me a completely new macbook, since I just purchased it a couple weeks ago.

8. PS65 macrumors 6502

I can't answer that...I don't think anyone on here can.