Darlings/Browns Big Day, what will we get?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Nov 24, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.
    BBC.
    Not fortunate enough to be earning anything like £150k I'd be quite [selfishly] happy to see them paying a bit more.

The VAT cut would be good because it would actually help everyone, not just people who have too many kids to pay for :rolleyes:

oh well, we'll see what's happening soon enough.

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Harsh.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It's not harsh. There are lots of people, not just families, struggling financially.

I think it would be nice for the government to do something simple, something logical JUST THIS ONCE and help everyone.

4. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Of course there are, but hitting out at the people in the country that are amongst the most needy isn't going to help.

Single person/young married couple or married couple with three kids that have 5 mouths to feed, 3 lots of school uniforms, packed lunches/school dinners + everything the other childless homes have to pay for. It's not hard to see who needs the most help.

We'd love everybody to be helped, but it has to start with those that need it - the elderly and the kids - it's fair and right. So yes, harsh.

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Did I make them have 3 kids they can't afford? Don't think so.

I'm still struggling to pay bills, I'm paying out a small fortune in council tax for all kinds of crap I'll never get any benefit out of, plus tax and NI etc.

Whatever they do, they need to help everyone for once.

6. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Nice to see that they are taking on some Lib Dem ideas!
    I doubt the VAT cut will help too much, I imagine that companies will just increase they're prices.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Rather than a VAT cut I'd like to see the tax allowance increased to £10k, with the upper rate threshold reduced accordingly to mean those (like me) who pay the upper rate don't gain.

That would instantly give all low and medium earners an extra £800-1000 to play with over the coming year.

The VAT change is going to be impossible to implement immediately due to every business having to change their literature, standard invoices, tills etc. The economy needs immediate stimulus, not a change some time in the New Year. If they try and change the VAT any sooner it will actually hurt small businesses by increasing our costs, as well as causing a bookkeeping nightmare for those of us trying to work out what our next VAT return should be.

I also agree with edesignuk on the need to help everyone. I'm sick of hearing politicians going on about hard working families and families needing help. Single people and childless couples are also suffering and have job insecurity right now.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Not harsh in the slightest, I don't see why those who choose to breed should be rewarded so heavily for it.

9. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Oh for **** sake, e!

That's a pretty average family. How do you know they couldn't afford them when they had them? 2 or 3 child families are, and always have been, the normal thing in this country. What about the hard working families that had manageable debt levels that have been hit by this crunch? Your 'not my problem... I didn't make them do it' attitude is saddening.

This is what I hate most about tough financial times is people turning on themselves. If it's not 'the immigrants' it's the unemployed ( 'the scroungers'), and if it's not them it's families ( 'kids they can't afford' ) - it's self righteous nonsense.

Hitting out at families because the government is trying to help them is pretty unbelievable.

I had you pegged as a smart guy, but you're sounding daft here - either through frustration or lack of understanding at the system. Probably the former. We're all frustrated, but complaining at council tax is pointless. A lot of other people pay for the things they don't use but that you do.

Not everybody can afford convertibles and nice computers. Some struggle to put food in their children's mouths and clothes on their back - it might be easy to watch that happen because you 'didn't make them do it', but it doesn't sit right with me.

Yeah, you're right. Those breeders need to be put to death so the wealth can be passed on to others. :rolleyes:

Rewarded? They get the help they need. We're a civilised society that doesn't let our children go hungry - shame on us. ****ing disgusting.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

*Applause* (Sorry I don't have an icon for that.)
    Well said.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You could use this

[​IMG]

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not going to go on a big defensive of my view to you.

I'm sick of only those with kids getting help.

We're all suffering, throw me a bone too.

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Well, I really didn't expect you to. It seems a theme of this forum, at times.

Some are suffering much, much more than others.
    Well, that's really what it boils down to. Your bone.

15. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Honestly, what would be the point? I'd just waste my breath and you'd waste yours again in response.

That's how I feel about it, rightly or wrongly.

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Do you know what kids at my school mostly spent their educational benefits on? Weed, hell my father got a ton of benefits for being a single parent when I was a kid and he had a steady job and a fair dividend from investments coming in, we didn't need it.

I'm all for making sure children do not starve but showering parents with incentives and benefits does not achieve this, it just results in more council estates filled with chavs pumping out babies at unsustainable rates, I for one think it's wrong that the majority should have financially support this.

17. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Can't argue with that. It's the get out of all get outs.

18. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Ok then... That post is a keeper.

With that, I'm out of this thread. Hideous.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

\o/

A winner is me.

20. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

21. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

22. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

23. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

[​IMG]

This is for you, Darling and your idiotic fuel duty rises.

24. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Son of a bitch.

25. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I think this is the first time in a very, very, very long time that I've actually seen the Conservatives completely and utterly winning in the commons.