Darwin Awards

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MyDesktopBroke, Feb 1, 2011.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Split from another thread to keep things on topic (lol, on topic in prsi)

So, yes. Darwin Awards. I don't understand how these things caught on anywhere except the internet - but I see the books everywhere now. It's like /b/ invaded IRL - Finding people who've accidentally killed themselves and making fun of them for doing/"rewarding" them for supposedly bettering humanity.

The whole thing is simply disgusting. To me it's no better than a snuff film or advocating eugenics. People literally are buying books to laugh at how other people have died. Some certainly are better off dead, like terrorists who messed up their bombs, etc., but others are just stupid people.

I can laugh at gore threads, J. Fritzl meme threads, or whatever, because they aren't serious - the point is the shock value. But the thing about the Darwin Awards that gets me is that completely intelligent people take them dead serious - they enjoy them not "tongue in cheek" like Wikipedia says, but actually support the whole phenomena. And it's socially acceptable, too. Are they supposed to be funny? Are they supposed to be serious? What are you supposed to get out of reading/awarding them?

The whole thing is completely beyond me.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I find them to be quite serious. They're also a warning.

3. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

People also enjoy watching Montel, Springer, Judge Judy, and a whole slew of reality- and pseudo-reality-television which makes members of our race look like buffoons. Besides the apparent entertainment value, I believe there is some part of human nature that enjoys feeling superior to something, anything.

Like what I believe is Lee's point, at least the real stories are (hopefully) actively serving as a warning to others. And maybe even making the gene pool more intelligent. If we cannot protect people from themselves (according to some Constitutionalist Libertarians *ahem*) then we must have an outlet to either educate each other or rid the herd of those who would not.

As long as it's self-inflicted, I'll admit I personally find it hilarious. If I blow myself up hooking up jumper cables to my gas tank because I couldn't be bothered to ask how to jump start my car correctly, then at the very least I hope someone would get a laugh out of it. And if they learn not to do what I did, so much the better.

4. awmazz macrumors 65816

I see a major flaw in the Darwin Awards, and that's the stupids are more likely to kill other people than themselves, so how does that fit into evolution?
    Surely, for each Darwin Award winner who kills themselves, there must be dozens if not tens of dozens who die because other people simply weren't paying attention, didn't care or were being stupid, while the stupids keep on living. Car accidents for example.

5. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

There aren't enough of those things handed out in my opinion. I don't have much sympathy for dumb people.

6. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

Has it been proven intelligence is genetic?

When I hear of someone's death, unless that person died in some kind of malicious activity, the only emotion I get is sadness. I think people enjoying the Darwin awards is more indicative of a declining society than isolated acts of stupidity.

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Genetics are a strong influence in intelligence. It's a double whammy though, because those who are intelligent are likely to live in and subject their offspring to a more academic lifestyle.

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

why is that a flaw in the 'awards'? these people you mention are obviously not candidates

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

If you accept Evolution, then I think that you have to accept that intelligence is genetic. If not, how could humans evolve such a great intelligence?

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The [awards] best thing that could happen to mankind. I am grateful for those who help our evolutionary process.

Stupidity has no room in this world. The strong survive, the weak (of any kind) perish. Laws of nature, and in this case these people, although it seems inhumane to say so, are weak and therefor should be removed from the gene pool. But since they did so themselves, well....

There is more to this than what I stated, but I'll just leave it at that.

Also, this is a comedic sense, if you lack the comedy in it, bad news for you.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

No. Intellectual capacity is genetic, not actual intelligence. Consider Al Einstein's parents. Were they remarkably intelligent? Did genetics produce Will Shakespeare's talent? da Vinci? Hawking? Amazing genius and breath-taking stupidity appear to derive from a much more strange and obscure recipe than mere heredity.

But more importantly, high-tech medicine has, for the time being, utterly defeated human evolution. We have so divided our existence from nature, that its ability to select of us is moot, as, logically, are the Darwin Awards. But they are still amusing. Tragic, yet funny, kind of like Pulp Fiction.

12. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Before the Darwin awards came out I thought a 22cal bullet would be a great bud fuse.

That was a close one :rolleyes:

13. awmazz macrumors 65816

A cargo handler not shutting the door properly causing all 200 passengers on board an airliner to die. Are you saying it's stupid to fly? I suppose placing your life in someone else's hands entirely and you don't even know them is stupid.

This really happens. That ferry disaster in the Baltic Sea killing hundreds in the middle of the night in freezing waters. Some moron forgot to raise the car ramp once it was loaded so they're zooming along scooping up water through the front of the ferry and it eventually capsizes and sinks. You can't get more stupid than forgetting to close the ramp/door after the cars are loaded when it's your actual job. And the moron responsible? He's finished his shift and is sitting back on dry land at home by this time watching TV while everyone else is dying because of him. With his family and kids - yes he's reproducing more morons.

They have now installed 'stupid-proof' cameras and warning alarms on all car ferries so the captains can know when the morons forget to close the ramp/doors. See, society has to protect itself from the stupids, or perish and die. Is that evolution?

14. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I don't know if you are saying that everyone has the same maximum intellectual capacity but many don't reach it, or that different people have different maximum capacities but not everyone manages to meet it. I would say the second is more accurate.

Using Einstein again-

Were his parents thick as two short planks? Or were they really intelligent but never had the opportunity to reach it? Or somewhere in between? Also consider that intelligence is going to be a complex genetic issue- it isn't going to be a single gene. Two brown haired people can give birth to a ginger haired child (we all learn this at school- ginger is recessive) but two ginger parents can give birth to a brown haired child, albeit rarely. Which flies in the face of what people are taught at school! Even hair colour genetics is quite complex.

I'm not saying that genetics is everything- people need the opportunity to develop their education, supportive parents will obviously help, a desire to work hard etc. However, not everyone has the same maximum intelligence, but as much as people don't like that it is actually very important for the species that we are not all equal.

It isn't just modern medicine- the consensus is (although it is challenged) that humans have not really evolved in the last 40-50,000 years, as there just hasn't been a sustained selection pressure. Modern medicine is actually allowing people who would not have naturally reproduced to do just that, which is not good from a strictly evolutionary viewpoint (although morally very good, of course).

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

"Survival of the Fittest" coined by an economist and latched on to by right wing politicians,Darwin only used the term in the fifth edition of On the Origin of Species and clearly explains he means it as a metaphor i.e. one of the drivers of evolution is the idea that the best suited will flourish,not the strongest or most vicious it could be and very often is the most cooperative.Intelligence we could discuss for years and not come to any meaningful answer.Also a very good case can be made for mental illness being a major driver of evolution:

http://cogprints.org/2009/1/preti_a&miotto_p.html

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Interesting. Do you have a link?

I guess he got off the ferry on the pilot boat, or did he have a jet-pack?? :rolleyes:

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I suspect you have (unwittingly) conflated the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster with the MS Estonia one… I guess that is how Urban Myths get started...

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

and? are you going to list all accidents that occurred since the beginning of time, most of them caused by someone's mistake at some level? what does those incident you mention have to do with the topic at hand?

again, you are not getting the concept of the 'darwin award'.
    it's not for stupid persons (way too many of those to give out awards), it's for people who because of their idiocy get THEMSELVES out of the genetic pool, not other people. In fact, the fictitious rules for the fictitious award directly disqualify 'candidates' who involve innocent bystanders who could have contributed positively to the genetic pool.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What world do you live in? :confused:

There is still plenty of room in it for stupidity.

We see that demonstrated every day.

And last time I checked, the strong perish as well as the weak.

So, what was your point again?

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You're confusing the genetic qualities of a species versus an individual offspring. He's asking if intelligence is directly influenced by the intelligence of the parents or is completely random.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Darwin Awards is brilliant. It's not that you are entertained by people dieing, like you would be on the show like A Thousand Way to Die on Spike where they highlight both innocent people and stupid people being snuffed.

The point of Darwin Awards is illustrating how evolution works when exclusively stupid people kill themselves. Some people who might have been tempted, might learn something and avoid the same fate. I'll admit there is an entertainment quality to it. :)

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think that's a mistake a lot of people make about evolution. Evolution is not a constant progression nor does it treat every living being equally. Obviously, homo sapiens rapid evolution has had a seriously negative impact on the future of many species. Not all of it's negative. Some of those species have actually gained an evolutionary leg up.

When the Black Death swept Europe or the misnamed "Spanish Flu" of 1918 swept the globe, a lot of towns and cities tried to keep strangers away, sometimes by killing them. There's evidence that in some instances, loved ones were smuggled inside town walls. Poor choices by individuals can have adverse impacts on society as a whole. Certainly part of evolution is our collective mindset and those who ignore the safety of the group are as likely to influence evolution, even if negatively as those who put safety of the group first.

23. awmazz macrumors 65816

Indeed I have. The airline cargo hatch example was a double-up as well.

I am exactly getting the concept of the award, which is why I have an issue with it. It has the one big flaw as I said originally - the stupids don't just take themselves out so the whole concept of improving the gene pool because the stupids eliminate themselves doesn't work.

24. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

How could it be random? What sort of entity would control intelligence if it isn't the gene?
    I don't think that its mendelian in nature(ie your parents are both dumb so you will be dumb too), but I think that it's influenced by many genes working in tandem.

25. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

well, the award 'honors' those stupid that do exactly that: eliminate just themselves from the genetic pool.

any of the 'other stupids' are not considered for the award.

there is definitively a genetic component to individual 'intelligence' (however that is defined)