Daschle withdraws nomination for HHS job

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 3, 2009.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

I say we look at every pol in Washington and make sure they don't have tax issues.

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The IRS should start auditing every senators tax returns asap.

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Good, maybe he can nominate somebody that doesn't have industry ties the next time around.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Actually, the way for Obama to fix the money situation is to keep appointing his tax-cheat buddies to high office. They'd have to come clean and catch up on what they owe in back taxes--which would pump a bunch of money into the Treasury.

:D:D:D

But, where's the change?

'Rat

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Glad to hear it, Daschle was a partison butthole and would do just what the republicans are doing now with Obama. Another Hypocrite. Mr opposite I use to call him.
    They should be taking a better look at these professional crooks/lawyers.

6. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Amen. This crap is ridiculous to come up only when appointments are being made. --But, I guess that's the Washington game being played.

~ CB

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think this hurt him more than the tax issues.

8. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Well, I can't see why that would be the case. The tax issues made him vulnerable to that kind criticism in the first place, otherwise it would be hard to really make those cases resonate in the public sphere. "Conflict of interest" implications arising for "giving advice" and "speaking for" certain groups, seems pretty tenuous. If you're an expert in a field with good advice and insight... you certainly SHOULD be actively giving and being solicited for your advice to the industry. You don't just drop out of the sky. The only question is ARE you being influenced or are you the one doing the influencing.

--Tax issues... that's another matter entirely. Just look at Nancy Killefer, and another withdrawal. I had high hopes for her too:
    My taxes are hardly flawless. Back taxes became a talking point for Mr. Plumber during election time too. It's a hugely popular and relateable offense to bludgeon someone with. Clinton's "speaking engagements" haven't really done much to trip up Hillary, its just been a political talking point at best.
    Mm. Xenu maybe? Seriously, you can play six degrees of separation all day long. If they're going to do a good job, and know the healthcare industry, they ARE GOING TO HAVE A "CONNECTION". The only question is "what TYPE of connection" and "does that represent a conflict of interest". Simply identifying points of contact aren't good enough. Was the nominee an "AGENT" for the industry that lobbied Washington? Or was the nominee a speaker for the industry, that lectured on solutions and best practices? It's amusing that anyone thinks a qualified "Health and Human Services" nominee would not have some type of health industry background.

"Industry ties". I'm sorry, but the criticism needs to have way more meat than that statement suggests.

~ CB

9. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Obama must be picking some fine people for his cabinet if the worse thing people can find that they've done is not pay taxes.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its funny, when we dont pay them its called tax evasion, when Congress doesnt pay them its called a Honest Mistake:confused:

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You're learning.

Everything exists at multiple levels, even justice.

We are just too far down in the pyramid.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Would it really be a big deal for them to just pay the damn taxes and get to their jobs?

13. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Welcome to politics. It's interesting to watch the march of the "Democrooks". Tom Daschel - Unpaid taxes on personal chauffeur services, Tim Geinther - Unpaid personal income taxes, Charles Rangel - Unreported rental property income from the Dominican Republic, Christopher Dodd - Problems with personal mortgage handling and preferential treatment from CountryWide, Nancy Killefer - Unpaid unemployment taxes, Bill Richardson - faces grand jury ethics investigation, and let's not forget Blago.

Democrats are dominating the news cycle as the party of corruption, and Republicans have a reasonable shot at riding the narrative to a strong 2012 position. I'm not sure Ashley Judd's going to do much towards tripping that up.

~ CB

14. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

You speak as though not paying taxes is a trivial law violation. I think tax evasion with intent is a felony and can result in a fairly long prison term. Not so good.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"Obama must be picking some fine people for his cabinet if the worse thing people can find that they've done is not pay taxes."

But Bobber! Change! Remember, change? No more of that old-time crookedness! Purity! HE said so! Obama hisownself!

"Make no mistake, tax cheaters cheat us all, and the IRS should enforce our laws to the letter. " Sen. Tom Daschle, Congressional Record, May 7, 1998, p. S4507.

And now it's Franken's turn in the barrel:

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/8145

"Franken...failed to pay at least $70,000 in taxes to 17 states prior to running for office."

Support the Rangel Rule: "...the Rangel Rule Act of 2009, HR 735, which would prohibit the Internal Revenue Service from charging penalties and interest on back taxes against U.S. citizens. Under the proposed law, any taxpayer who wrote “Rangel Rule” on their return when paying back taxes would be immune from penalties and interest."

IOW, the only change folks wanted was a change in control over the federal budget. Folks don't seem to care about any change in crookedness...

:D:D:D

'Rat

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I guess the honeymoon is over, eh? :p

If Daschele didn't tell the Obama vetters about his "little tax problem", it's hard to fault Obama for nominating Daschele based on his resume -- and as a reward for his early and vigorous support of the Obama candidacy.

In fact, the fact that Obama was so willing to cut loose a guy that was with him from the beginning of his presidential candidacy tell you that change has, in fact come.

It may not be as revolutionary as some would have hoped, or others mocked for political gain; but it is change nonetheless.

The Bush administration had a propensity for backing a loyalist to the hilt, no matter how flawed. We almost got Harriet Miers on the SCOTUS, fer chrissakes. The only reason we didn't was because conservatives joined liberals in saying Bad Idea! Abu Gonzoles only left after his utter ineptitude and repeated "I can't recall"s rendered him indefensible. Bolton? Brownie? Libby? Yoo? Addington? Goodling? Bremmer? Rumsfeld? Like them or not, you have to admit that the administration went to the mat for them no matter how badly they screwed up.

So, if Obama continues to show the door to the people who are guilty of these kinds of "lapses in judgment", it'll be change, albeit incremental.

We'll see if it continues.

17. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I think its all part of a process.

~ CB

18. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I would have said that drastically changing our tax system would have avoided this issue, but since I don't want to be run off this forum.... :rolleyes:

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The Rovian response would have been to immediately go into defense mode -- by which, of course, I mean attack mode. Attack the critics of the nominee. Call them un-American. Accuse them of "playing politics". Charge them with "obstructionism". Expound upon the sacred and inviolable principle of the "upperdownvote" to every FOXNoise journalist you can corral in the hall.

Like I said, it's not the monumental change we all want. But it's not the same as the old crowd, that's for sure.

20. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

He was a lobbyist, although not officially registered as one as it would violate Senate rules. He worked for Alston & Bird, whose clients included HealthSouth. He represented his firms clients before Congress and the Executive Branch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Daschle#Career_and_public_service

Read up on it. Don't get angry at me because I don't want a health care lobbyist making federal health care decisions. There are probably plenty of people who have devoted their careers to public health that would be infinitely more qualified for this position than Daschle.

21. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I may be wrong, but I thought Obama knew about Daschele's tax problem before he nominated him, and that he didn't cut him loose and show him the door but rather waited for Daschele to withdraw on his own and then said how sorry he was that Daschele withdrew.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I never thought I'd see the day when we would agree politically, but I guess there's a first time for everything. :p

Obama probably did know about at least some of these tax issues (are we at 4 now?). If he didn't, then his vetting process is not as good as it should be. So on the one hand we have possible political corruption and on the other we have incompetence. In either case, not a good sign.

In general, most Presidents pressure cabinet officers out, but make it seem like a resignation for the media and press spin. There's no reason to see this as anything but the same.

There better not be any more Obama Cabinet problems, especially with taxes, because it can only go on for so long before it just bogs down his administration.

Thankfully Obama seems to be handling it well. He apologized and acted quickly to get rid of any lingering concerns. Now if only he can get past this and go on to governing.

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I don't fault Obama himself nearly so much as the group responsible for vetting the potential nominees. My understanding is that the FBI is supposed to do a very thorough check-out, among other entities involved. And, vetting for presidential selections is supposed to have open access to all agencies' info, is it not? My question, then, is who selected the vetting group?

I'm rather astounded that the water-boy for Marc Rich would have been seen as a candidate for AG, much less that he was approved by Congress. This AG says that he learned from that experience. What, an epiphany for ethics? Really?

Geithner at Treasury? Even without the tax-cheat label, he was an insider when all this economic mess was first developing. Yet, he saw nothing, said nothing, did nothing--even though his job was to give warning.

IOW, it's a bit hard to cut much slack for Obama when his judgement as to leadership qualifications seems rather poor. Forget any agreement or disagreement with Obama's ideas: His success is dependent upon the competency and quality of his nominees. So far, so bad.

'Rat

24. iAthena macrumors regular

I hope that no one really believes that what takes place behind closed doors in these circumstances is what is reported to the press. This was said to provide both a plausible and painless explanation for a rewind that had to occur. Obama or his rep told Dashele that he was poison and for him to withdraw. Daschele has never been known as a martyr.

25. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Please cite your source for this if you have one. Thanks.