Dashboard Still Alive in High Sierra?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by groove-agent, Jun 16, 2017.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

Please tell me dashboard is still present and functions the same. I use it all the time and find it vastly superior to the "Today" tab within the Notification side panel on the right.

Thanks.

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Works exactly the same as it does in Sierra (I have the beta, and have tested). However, one of my aidgets, iStat (the old one, before Menus), no longer works, and I assume it has to do with some 32-bit support being dropped, though perhaps just a glitch for the first beta. Dashboard in general works perfectly fine though

3. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Yes it works but the Mavericks and Yosemite Dashboard bug is now back in HS...

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

What's that bug? Is it what I referred to?

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

What bug is that?

I think dropping 32bit support means the death of Dashboard unfortunately.

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

32-bit supports isn't out quite yet. But dashboard probably died with 32bit support yes.

7. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

Oh jeez, I hope most of my *must have* widgets will still work. Thanks for the info.

8. epca12 macrumors regular

They should do more with widgets and notifications on the Macos, maybe merge the two.
    What we have now for notification centre and widgets (not dashboard of course) is basically what it would be like to have a mouse on an iPad

9. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I recommend installing the OS on a USB flash drive or partition or something before switching over to check first

10. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Why?

11. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Dashboard itself is 32-bit

Check Activity Monitor

12. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Could they sneakily recompile it as 64-bit?

13. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I think it'd take more than just a recompile. I think it the code base was already ready to just be recompiled, they'd have done it by now. I think they see Dashboard as a deprecated feature - after all, it's disabled by default, and don't want to actively put effort into keeping it around, and only still have it because it's not requiring that many resources to keep alive. But actually updating the codebase for 64-bit. Doubt they'll do that.

14. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Have Apple deprecated any core features previously like this? All I can recall is Mac Classic mode, Rosetta, X11 server, the video app entered when pressing the remote.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I may eventually get tired of going with the flow (on OS, on iOS, on hardware) when the personal sum of things left behind that I actually liked adds up to more than the projected value of my dutiful adherence, so far, to the maxim "evolve or die". I've stuck w/ a 2012 MBP and even got another one because I was not personally prepared to ditch the convenience of an on-board optical drive. I've held onto an older iPod touch with its older iOS because I liked how it worked... etc. And now I find myself reluctant to upgrade to a newer OS. Not for the first time. I'd hate to think something as relatively trivial as Dashboard could be enough of a reason. But, it's possible.

otoh I really like my iPhone SE and so I do put up with a current iOS. It does seem like a stretch to get a new laptop just for the sake of having an up to date OS though.

16. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Well, it'll at least be a fear years before Dashboard goes the way of the dodo. I get the decision though. It appears widget development is dead both from third parties and Apple. I like the existing ones, but if they aren't keeping up with new system defaults.
    Besides, High Sierra supports 32-bit apps, and the version after that will too (although with warning messages). Perhaps Dashboard will leave us then, since warning messages about using Apple software on macOS seems a bit.... Off, it's at least another year
    --- Post Merged, Jun 18, 2017 ---

Things are constantly deprecated. A lot of it we just don't notice, because so few apps use the features and frameworks. With APFS two APIs plus an entire framework is getting deprecated.
    There was a lot of MobileMe integration once. Needless to say, since MobileMe has evolved into iCloud that's no longer a thing.
    Java 6 used to be a core part of the OS. Whilst you can, for now, still get it, developers can't rely on it being there anymore. And I believe it too has been deprecated and will eventually go away entirely. X11 - again, you can get a third party implementation, but there used to be an X11-Quartz system in place by Apple.