Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dashlane today announced an update to its existing iPhone app alongside the launch of an all-new Apple Watch experience, both of which bring the service's one-tap password changing feature from desktop to Apple's mobile and wearable devices.

dashlane-iphone-apple-watch.jpg

Dashlane unveiled the Password Changer feature late last year for the desktop, which allowed users to change multiple passwords at once so they can more easily update their password info if any of their data is ever breached. Today's updates extend that sense of security for Dashlane users to iPhone and Apple Watch, which the company says is completely unique to the service.
Earlier this year, we introduced the first ever automatic Password Changer on Dashlane for desktop. And now, Dashlane is the first password manager to let you change multiple passwords with one tap when you're on the go. In fact, we're the only password manager that can offer this exclusive feature, because our engineers and design team have been dedicated for years to building a secure, full-featured password manager that you can use anywhere. Password Changer on Apple Watch and iPhone brings all the power of this time-saving security feature to your fingertips . . . and your wrist.
Alongside this new feature, the iPhone and Apple Watch Dashlane experiences both allow users to copy and paste passwords from one device to another and use voice search to more quickly parse through passwords. A caveat for Password Changer is that not every website supports the feature, which began with over 70 at launch and has grown to about 180 today. The update to the Dashlane iOS app [Direct Link] will begin rolling out today, and should appear on the Apple Watch automatically for users who have automatic downloads turned on.

Article Link: Dashlane Launches One-Tap Password Changer for iPhone and Apple Watch

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I tried Dashlane. Didn't like the UI and syncing across devices cost $40/year. I think I'll stick with 1Password and enjoy the industry-unique feature of not being pressured into paying for a yearly subscription.

This.

To a novice computer user this is basically holding them ransom.

With stuff like this you want a clear-cut exit strategy, in the case of yearly billing for sync across devices that means, for me, not to even try it.

Glassed Silver:mac

Reactions: T-Will

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
This.

To a novice computer user this is basically holding them ransom.

With stuff like this you want a clear-cut exit strategy, in the case of yearly billing for sync across devices that means, for me, not to even try it.

It is only the sync function which is held for ransom not the actual data (if I read the post above correctly), and that exact thing happened to me with 1password when they dropped support for Dropbox sync in older versions. I didn't get sync back until I bought new versions of the app. And I didn't get any clear warning this was going to happen when I bought in.

Not saying 1password did wrong, just that it's never clear cut when clouds are involved.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
It is only the sync function which is held for ransom not the actual data (if I read the post above correctly), and that exact thing happened to me with 1password when they dropped support for Dropbox sync in older versions. I didn't get sync back until I bought new versions of the app. And I didn't get any clear warning this was going to happen when I bought in.

Not saying 1password did wrong, just that it's never clear cut when clouds are involved.
When you live on multiple devices cutting sync is de-facto holding you ransom if you're a novice user.

I'm not talking about nerds like us.
I've helped many people with many different kinds of PC problems.
They all had varying skill set when it comes to technology and personal computers.

And well, it's a problem not unique to this service, certainly not, but you get my drift.

I understand wanting money for upgrades for cool new features, etc, but quite honestly, I see no point in giving a third party developer that amount of money over and over for a feature built-into the OS I can use for free.
Sure, they might add nice features, but quite honestly, to me they aren't worth it.

Deewin

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
I tried Dashlane. Didn't like the UI and syncing across devices cost $40/year. I think I'll stick with 1Password and enjoy the industry-unique feature of not being pressured into paying for a yearly subscription.

What the heck?? I've been using and loving dashlane for the past 2 years, BUT I only gave it a shot because it was 25 dollars a year, but now it's 40? It can be argued that it's still worth the cost but if they just keep upping the price like this I might as well use 1password. The only issue here is that 1password likes to sell new numbered versions every few years or so for their Mac and IOS apps and that could be comparable or even more money than 40 a year for dash lane...

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
What the heck?? I've been using and loving dashlane for the past 2 years, BUT I only gave it a shot because it was 25 dollars a year, but now it's 40? It can be argued that it's still worth the cost but if they just keep upping the price like this I might as well use 1password. The only issue here is that 1password likes to sell new numbered versions every few years or so for their Mac and IOS apps and that could be comparable or even more money than 40 a year for dash lane...

Yeah, I have actually heard some good things about Dashlane, but as I'm already wading up to my neck in 1Password apps, I can't justify the investment atm. As you mentioned, AgileBits asks you to re-buy every few versions, so I'll probably spend more time weighing my options the next time that happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.