Data hog on the iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanBurns91, Feb 20, 2012.

1. DanBurns91 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I was just wondering if anybody knows what causes the 4s to use so much data? I have 750MB per month from Vodafone UK and within a week i have 430MB left but barely any usage! when im at work most of the time im connected to the wifi and even if i wasnt all i do is send iMessages, at home im connected wifi at all times. I thought it might be due to "duel antennas" as i never had this issue with my iPhone 4 :S

Is there an app to see where most of the data is being used?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Need more info,
    Did you download ANY apps from the AppStore ?
    Use the safari browser ?
    Use iMessage ?
    Pandora ?

3. DanBurns91 thread starter macrumors regular

I tend to download via wifi at home (as thats when i have more free time) i browse here and there but web pages are very tiny amounts of data, iMessage is used a lot but again as its only quick messages i dont see a lot of data coming from there either. Pandora isnt available in the UK and i never stream (although i have spotify and should make more use of it :rolleyes: )

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on the web sites. Don't assume that all web sites are "tiny". They're not.

"Quick" doesn't mean anything. How many messages? How many characters? It's data and it counts against your plan.

What apps are you using? How is your email configured?

5. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I doubt it would be iMessage. You'd have to be sending millions to use much data at all (Normal text imessages, picture and video ofcourse use the size of the video/picture)

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They are actually scaled down significantly. Something like 1/10-1/5 the size of the original image. But yes, it does use vastly more data than a simple text.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you used about 300mb in a week?
    That's not that bad, others use up a GB or more in 1 week with the iphone.
    It does use up lots of data fast and with just 750mb per month you gotta be carefull not to go over.
    Maybe try turning off carrier data when away from wifi to make sure.