Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Two weeks ago I bought an iPhone 6s and I restored my iCloud backup from my 5s. It went perfect. Today, I returned my 6s and got a 6s Plus. I restored my iCloud backup from my iPhone 6s. It went wrong. My messages (SMS, iMessage), recent phone calls, all the content from Health and more. I have tried restoring several times from several different backups, but it's always the same. I don't know what to do. I don't have an iTunes backup because I relied on iCloud (as I said, it went great when going from the 5s to the 6s). I'm using iOS 9.1 on my new 6s Plus and I was using iOS 9.1 on the 6s I returned. It's a bug from iCloud? A bug from iOS? Any ideas on what to do?

Thank you very much.

brianjsw

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
I had the exact same problem. I assumed it was a bug in the iOS 9.1 beta, I guess they didn't fix it! In my case I thankfully had an iTunes backup and I used iBackupBot to grab my messages and put them back. Wasn't able to retrieve the health data though. If you originally made the backup with 9.0.2 try to downgrade to that and restore your backup, then re-upgrade.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Two weeks ago I bought an iPhone 6s and I restored my iCloud backup from my 5s. It went perfect. Today, I returned my 6s and got a 6s Plus. I restored my iCloud backup from my iPhone 6s. It went wrong. My messages (SMS, iMessage), recent phone calls, all the content from Health and more. I have tried restoring several times from several different backups, but it's always the same. I don't know what to do. I don't have an iTunes backup because I relied on iCloud (as I said, it went great when going from the 5s to the 6s). I'm using iOS 9.1 on my new 6s Plus and I was using iOS 9.1 on the 6s I returned. It's a bug from iCloud? A bug from iOS? Any ideas on what to do?

Thank you very much.

I have never depended on the cloud and always do a full encrypted backup via iTunes when I get ready to change out phone hardware. I know the cloud is great but the hard backup in iTunes is much faster and has always been complete.

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
Thank god, someone with the same problem which I had yesterday..

My iMessages and all the information in Whatsapp itself could not be recoverd. There's something wrong with iCloud backup in iOS 9.1.

Three weeks ago on iOS 9.0.2 everything was OK.

Newtons Apple is right. Encrypted iTunes backup is the best way to backup if the data in your iPhone is important to you. Luckly I had a backup of a month ago which I had to reload back instead the backup of yesterday.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

My iMessages and all the information in Whatsapp itself could not be recoverd. There's something wrong with iCloud backup in iOS 9.1.

Newtons Apple is right. Encrypted iTunes backup is the best way to backup if the data in your iPhone is important to you. Luckly I had a backup of a month ago which I had to reload back instead the backup of yesterday.

While I do let my phone backup to the cloud, I still do a hard encrypted backup at least once a month if not ever few weeks.

Have a good weekend!

Reactions: rsnhakan

Kyze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014

Yes, the data in WhatsApp also seemed to be corrupted. Other apps like 1Password would get stuck loading.

In the end, I gave up and set it as a new phone. I could have settled with that backup, but since I noticed that some apps were corrupted, I decided to start from scratch, just in case.

Next time I change my iPhone, I'll backup in iTunes just in case (like I said, when going from the 5s to the 6s, iCloud backup worked nearly flawlessly).

rsnhakan

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
The Netherlands
Next time I change my iPhone, I'll backup in iTunes just in case (like I said, when going from the 5s to the 6s, iCloud backup worked nearly flawlessly).

True! First time in years I have problems with iCloud backup.

I manually made a back up of my chat history of Whatsapp in iCloud and then set my phone up as new. After installing Whatsapp I could retrieve my chat history back. Luckly that option still works.

Reactions: sunking101

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The backup I created on my first 6S+ was corrupted and wouldn't install fully onto my replacement 6S+. It cost me two evenings of work to get all my photos and videos back onto the phone via a different method. First iCloud issue in 5+ years.

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Experiencing the same thing...

Lost all contacts/iMessages. Luckily I still have my iPhone 5 with my contact info and really could care less if I lost my iMessages.

I think the problem is upgrading to iOS 9.1 seemed to turn off the iCloud backup for pictures/messages/contacts/calendar.

ngrai

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
I had the exact same problem. I assumed it was a bug in the iOS 9.1 beta, I guess they didn't fix it! In my case I thankfully had an iTunes backup and I used iBackupBot to grab my messages and put them back. Wasn't able to retrieve the health data though. If you originally made the backup with 9.0.2 try to downgrade to that and restore your backup, then re-upgrade.

It blows my mind that the Health app data problem reported in the quoted post is still with us more than a year later. The Health app is vitally important to Apple, and surely it's well within Apple's capabilities to write a decent app yet that simply and evidently is not true. How can they make these beautiful phones and computers and watches and operating systems but yet be incapable of writing a simple app? Come on Apple, this is not like you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.