Data on prepaid in Australia?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spamfish123, Aug 18, 2012.

1. spamfish123 macrumors member

Hi,

I'll be going to Australia in a few weeks and I was looking at how to get around 500MB - 1GB of data over 12 days. I'll be staying in Surfer's Paradise, Cairns and Sydney.

I was looking at the $20 data pack from Telstra:
    http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/extras/index.htm

Is this a sensible idea? Can you have JUST the data pack without a pre-paid offer? These things are a bit of a mystery to me :eek:

Otherwise I was thinking about the $2 days from Optus, but I don't know about their coverage where I'm going. (Someone on here said that Telstra's coverage is great.)

Really, any help is welcome. Thanks! :D

2. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Telstra Pre Paid cap encore is what I have - 400MB plus the $250 in calls. You can then use the $30 to buy a $20 (700MB) and $10 (200MB) data pack on top of the 400MB you get, giving you 1.3GB and $250 in calls/text.

All you need is some ID and buy the $2 sim. You can then recharge $30 in-store and activate the sim - usually takes <5 mins.

3. spamfish123 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, excellent - didn't realise you could still use the $30 to buy data. This sounds perfect. Thanks for the help! :)

4. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Yer, Telstra has the best coverage but Optus isn't to bad either. You can check with the coverage maps they have on their websites to see how the coverage is where your going. Have a fun trip and enjoy Australia!

5. wharzhee macrumors 6502

when i was holidaying in sydney and melbourne, i grabbed a prepaid data card too.
    there is a condition that is sort of hidden. im not sure about this point. but if someone can enlighten me, that wld be good too.

There's this small font condition, or disclaimer or whatever. it writes that for every connection, there is a data levy of about 3mb[?-unsure of the exact amount] for every connection. What does that mean, and why do they have to do that?

Is that to mean that if i have a habit of surfing for a few minutes like 3times within an hour, for like the entire day of 10hours. I am charged an extra 3*10=30*3mb(levy)=90mb???

What if i get random messages, such as Whatsapp and iMessage? do I get charged for those connections too? And what about walking around different areas, am I not hopping between different cell stations?

Anyone knows any more about this? [i did not know how to check the usage anyway, and was well within the bundle]

6. albertxp06 macrumors regular

I went to Optus and was able to grab a $50 unlimited everything (minutes, texts, and data). It also included ~300 minutes to call back to the US. Optus had great coverage in generally good speeds.

7. TomStamp macrumors newbie

Is this still available? I am after an unlimited data plan and can't seem to find anything. Australia is not like the UK, there is capped data on everything over here.

8. spamfish123 thread starter macrumors member

From what I can see of Optus's deals (https://www.optus.com.au/shop/prepaidmobile/prepaidoffers) it's only unlimited social networking, and then 500MB-5GB of data on top of that.

My main concern is that I'm in Australia when the iPhone 5 is (probably) launching and I want to be able to find out about it, and (probably) pre order it. Sad, I know :p

9. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

I used Telstra when I went to Australia. It was top notch. :D

10. albertxp06 macrumors regular

I just got it a week ago at Melbourne Intl Airport