Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
So I moved to a new area and the building I work in gets so-so reception from at&t. I want to port my phone number to verizon and my employer is willing to reimburse me only for the voice charges and the ETF fee.

However, I'd like to keep my iPhone 4 (at&t). My employer has a discount through at&t premier and when I went to their website, it seems that I can get a data only plan with unlimited data and 200 sms for $33 plus tax. When I choose devices, there's a number of smartphones, and I chose a refurbished samsung focus. If I buy this as a data only device, can I then cut the sim card and put it in my iPhone 4?

Thanks in advance.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Sorry, I meant port the voice number to verizon, but keep the data only plan from at&t premier. Could I use that data only sim in my existing GSM iphone 4 or iPad 2?

calsci

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
you can't use your previous sim card because there is no slot for a sim card on a Verizon iphone. I just won't work. Its the whole CDMA versus GSM issue.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Ok, my English must be terrible today :)

What I meant is getting a new Verizon dumb phone and port the number to that account.

Then open a *New* At&T premier account, get their samsung focus with data only plan, and stick that SIM card in my GSM iphone 4.

So keeping two phones, one Verizon cdma phone for voice, and one GSM AT&T iphone 4 for data. Can the at&t iphone 4 be used with a data and sms only sim card?

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
The AT&T thing should work. I've heard of them catching people trying to use an iPhone without a data plan with just voice and text but I don't see their systems having a problem with your plan because you're getting the data.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Yeah I don't think you can be "caught" since it's likely not possible at all.

Applejuiced said it.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
There is no data only plan for the iphone.
Only for the ipad.
If you use an iphone on AT&T you gotta have voice/minutes in order to get data.

That's just false. I happen to use an ATT ipad data only plan solely on my iphone 4. I have neither voice, minutes, nor sms through the carrier. I do have data and internet sms through other apps. So, if the ipad data plan works on the iphone, provided it is unlocked of course, why shouldn't a samsung plan also work on it?

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Yeah I don't think you can be "caught" since it's likely not possible at all.

Applejuiced said it.

Well since it is possible, I have been doing it ever since the iphone 4 was released, I suppose I could get caught! Applejuice isn't an authority here.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Some enterprise plans still get unlimited data and 200 sms. Mine is a state employee program. It's nice to know the iPad plan also works on the iPhone 4.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's just false. I happen to use an ATT ipad data only plan solely on my iphone 4. I have neither voice, minutes, nor sms through the carrier. I do have data and internet sms through other apps. So, if the ipad data plan works on the iphone, provided it is unlocked of course, why shouldn't a samsung plan also work on it?

False.
You are not supposed to sim swap your ipad sim into your iphone 4 to just use data.
That is a workaround that once they detect they will terminate your account.
AT&T doesnt have data only plans for smartphones, contact them and find out yourself.
Also tell them about the little trick you're doing to see what they say:)

pyro008

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Doesn't AT&T offer a hearing impaired plan with only data/texts? I know Verizon does, but not sure on ATT. Either way, why not get a Verizon iPhone and use that for everything instead of having one carrier for voice and texts and one for data? Then you can get unlimited data also.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Doesn't AT&T offer a hearing impaired plan with only data/texts? I know Verizon does, but not sure on ATT.

Yes, that is correct.
But you have to prove that you are deaf.
I had a few friends walk at an AT&T store try to get a data and text only plan acting like one speaks sign language and the other interprets to the AT&T employee.
They didnt get too far but was funny as hell:D

pyro008

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Yes, that is correct.
But you have to prove that you are deaf.
I had a few friends walk at an AT&T store try to get a data and text only plan acting like one speaks sign language and the other interprets to the AT&T employee.
They didnt get too far but was funny as hell:D
Well I guess it just depends on how much he wants it then. Getting deaf isnt that hard.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Hmm good point, but don't you get a lot of missed calls I'd you're surfing the web and someone tries to call you on the Verizon iPhone?

Doesn't AT&T offer a hearing impaired plan with only data/texts? I know Verizon does, but not sure on ATT. Either way, why not get a Verizon iPhone and use that for everything instead of having one carrier for voice and texts and one for data? Then you can get unlimited data also.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
False.
You are not supposed to sim swap your ipad sim into your iphone 4 to just use data.
AT&T doesnt have data only plans for smartphones, contact them and find out yourself.

While that may be true and while att might detect this "trick" at some point in the future, the point is the same. Right now it is possible to have data only on the iphone 4.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
While that may be true and while att might detect this "trick" at some point in the future, the point is the same. Right now it is possible to have data only on the iphone 4.

Its not if but when they will detect you. They have been cracking down a lot and disconnecting people since last summer.
Maybe not you yet but sooner or later they will.
Just like people tethering unofficially or people trying to use iPhones with no data etc.
Up to you to take the risk or not;)

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Its not if but when they will detect you. They have been cracking down a lot and disconnecting people since last summer.
Maybe not you yet but sooner or later they will.
Just like people tethering unofficially or people trying to use iPhones with no data etc.
Up to you to take the risk or not;)

I've kept a very close eye on what ATT has been doing, and even other carriers in other countries. I'm not sure my observations conform with yours though. All the evidence I have seen points one way. ATT is preventing people from using their iphone data plans (sim cards) in other devices. They are not preventing people from using other data plans (sim cards) in the iphone (or any other device).

Now, if you ask why that might be, it is fairly clear. There are two reasons. (1) Most of the curbing attempts, as well as their cracking down on people who are using tethering, is in an effort to find a legitimate way of canceling the unlimited data plans that iphone users had on their accounts. ATT seems far more concerned with the amount of data used on their 3G networks than they are concerned with what devices are using the data. No one has got disconnected for swapping ipad sim cards/data plans into other devices. That should warn the OP though. If the samsung plan is unlimited, it is not unlikely that ATT will keep a close eye on how much data is being consumed by those plans. If they discover those Samsung, or other smartphone data plans are consuming too much, they will crack down on it as they did with iphones.

(2) When ATT was selling locked iphones at subsidized prices, it was only natural that they demanded and expected of their customers that those customers sign up for data, as the terms of their contracts said they would, and which allowed them to qualify for that subsidized price. However, ATT has never enforced mandatory data plans for unlocked iphones, which Apple itself now sells even in the US. Using iphones with no data is soon going to become far more common, and far more accepted by ATT. Just don't expect to dump your data plan if you didn't pay full price for the iphone.

Also, as far as the ipad plans are concerned. There isn't much of a "risk" as you point out. So they "cancel" my plan by refusing to allow me to renew it next month. Big deal. I'll just open a new account. If they someone find a way to block the data only sims from working in devices other than the one that signed up for the service, then so be it. I won't have lost anything and have profited from the situation until they choose to implement such measures.

willpower101

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009

I do this too. Been doing it since the day the ipad came out. Was on an iphone 4g, now I'm on a 4, about to move to a 4s. I also called att and they said I can upgrade to unlimited LTE when I get a device that supports it (and it comes to my city)

False.

You're just blowing smoke. You obviously haven't experienced this because you haven't tried.

Both att and apple know about my setup.

Example 1:
My credit card changed on my unlimited data plan and it didn't renew. "OH NOOO!"
Frantically call ATT and find out there's 7 days grace. She updated the credit card.
"I see by the imei on the network that your device is an iphone?"
"Yes"
"You're not able to make calls right?"
"No, I use skype. It says calling from this line is blocked."
"Yes, that's managed by the broadband APN."
She continued to verify my payment, reminded me about the 7 day grace, reminded me that it would cancel if I ever went over those 7 days, and told me to have a good day.

Example 2:
iPhone replacement at apple store for dead pixels.
They wanted to verify that the new phone worked and I said I had to updated my APN but I forgot to write down the setting from the old phone.
He said "No problem, we get these every once in a while."
Then picked up an ipad and helped me setup the apn.

Well I guess it just depends on how much he wants it then. Getting deaf isnt that hard.
Especially if you just order online.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/messagingplans.jsp

"These plans are perfect for the Deaf or Hard of Hearing."

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Some enterprise plans still get unlimited data and 200 sms. Mine is a state employee program. It's nice to know the iPad plan also works on the iPhone 4.

im gonna honestly simplify it for you so here it goes:

If you see it in the system that you can get "Unlimited Data + 200SMS" with a Samsung Focus Refurbished for $33/month then all you simply have to do is Pop out the sim card and cut it down to iPhone 4 Size and use it.

**Now I don't guarantee that AT&T won't detect you and/or terminate your service if they do catch up with you using your iPhone instead of the Samsung although I highly doubt they will say anything about it unless u start to tether**

So Go do it, Half the people on your thread are on different topics by now and fighting their own laws n beliefs with one another.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Why don't you just sell your AT&T iPhone 4, buy a Verizon 4S (or 4 if you want cheaper) and get the data added to the voice plan of your company.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
There is no data only plan for the iPhone.
Only for the ipad.
If you use an iphone on AT&T you gotta have voice/minutes in order to get data.

First generation iPhone being the exception (unless my local AT&T store provided it out of the goodness of their hearts).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.