Data plan on ATT gophone (unlocked iphone 4)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by masciam, Nov 7, 2011.

1. masciam macrumors member

Hi,
    I'll be on the US for a month and was planning on buying a prepaid ATT sim card to use on my factory unlocked iphone 4 for voice/data.

In the ATT gophone website they say you can buy a data plan to use on your smartphone, so I though it'd be ok, but several sources say that data won't work on iphones.

People say that as a workaround you can activate data on a different smartphone and then insert the simcard in the iphone, but I also read ATT can block data if they detect that it is an iphone IMEI.

Has anyone ever tried this? Will they really block data?

Thanks!

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Prepaid data ATT plans works just fine on any iPhone model. Know a couple of people who have gotten the $50 unlimited plan that also includes unlimited data. This is available when you purchase a cheap GoPhone dumbphone.

Now the thing is ........ I'm not sure what happens if or when ATT detects that your using a dumbphone plan with a smartphone. So far I haven't heard anything from my friends who use it, works fine for them and they use it a lot, but it's still risky IMO.

I'll say give it a try but I wouldn't even think about being a data hog or tethering.