Data Rescue cloning and partition question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Apple Tech, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Apple Tech macrumors newbie

OS X 10.6, 2 USB hard disks (magnetic, not SSDs), Data Rescue 3.

I used Data Rescue to clone a dying 120GB hard disk with a single partition to a healthy 500GB hard disk. The healthy disk now just reads as a 500GB hard disk with a SINGLE 120GB partition, as expected. I then aimed a deep scan at the 120GB PARTITION on the 500GB drive.

Question: Could the scan have picked up files that had been previously deleted on the healthy 500GB disk, WHICH WOULD CURRENTLY RESIDE OFF THE NEW RECOVERED PARTITION?

The reason I ask if because I don't want to mix files recovered from the dying hard disk with my own files that I previously may have had on the healthy 500GB disk.

Another quick question: are partitions continuous on a disk, or can they be on sectors physically scattered around the disk?

Thanks!

2. Alfihar macrumors member

If the cloning tool copied the entire drive at a block level, as in every bit of the old drives partition was copied over to the working drive. Then it will have overwritten all the data that was previously there, and so you wouldn't be recovering files that used to be on the 500 Gb drive.

Also partitions are continuous on the disk.

3. Apple Tech thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!