Data restrictions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darwing, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Darwing macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is there any way of getting around apples upload/download restrictions with the data?

Uploading high def videos on YouTube or downloading large apps from AppStore.

Iphone4s without jailbreak obviously

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Its not Apple's restrictions, it the Carriers, and no not without Jailbreaking.

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I can understand why those restrictions existed when data was unlimited, but now that you either pay for the data you use or get throttled after ~2GBs, why should it matter if you decide to blow through your limit by downloading large apps or uploading HD movies? Especially bothers me since I could conceivably tether another iOS device to my phone, and that thing wouldn't care about the 3G restrictions since it would think it's on WiFi.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

How is that obvious? :confused: We're not psychic. We don't know that you're not jailbroken if you don't tell us.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I'm using now mainly a mobile WiFi router; don't pay my prepaid data plan for iPad anymore instead. This way my iPhone can use the router, too. Works like a charm.

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Maybe because there is no jailbreak for the 4S?

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have one of the latest Samsung HotSpots from Verizon. Like others it will handle up to five devices & is especially nice now that Starbucks & other public HotSpots have throttled down to 1Mbps or less.

This new Samsung is less that half inch thick, 2.4" x 3.6" & ultra light. I'm routinely getting between 15Mbps & 18Mbps, far faster than I anticipated. It's a great buy.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This bothers me so much.

I can't FaceTime or download files larger than 20mb on my iPhone, but if I tether my iPod touch or iPad (via HotSpot) to my iPhone, all the sudden those restrictions go away and I can FaceTime or download any size App I want without getting any pop-ups or warnings.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I have been tempted on a number of occasions to cancel my service and simply get a one of those "MiFi" things to use with my iPhone (or even an iPod touch if they weren't gimped compared to the iPhones). Since iMessage is data and talkatone + google voice is nearly as good as an actual phone plan, this is actually very doable now... If I didn't like my current phone number so much, I might have actually done it

11. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Really? That bothers you "so much"? Why is that? You have a way of making it work with out wifi so whats the problem? You bought the phone knowing there were some limits on the things you may be able to do at certain times. IF it bothers you so much switch phones or continue to do what your doing that works just fine. Do you have native tethering or are you jailbroken? IF you are JB'n dl my3g and solve your problem that bothers you "so much".

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

"So Much" was not literal, it was a figure of speech.

Calm down.

13. Darwing thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol what is with the unwarranted hate? If you are posting for no reason but to start a fight and contribute to obviously a thread you have no knowledge of don't post.

And yes if it is a 4s then it is OBVIOUS cause it's unjailbreakable! Wow

14. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

you can port you number to google voice.

http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1065667

15. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

You can upload 1080p video to youtube with 3rd party apps like FiLMiC Pro

as for going around the 20mb restriction on AppStore, there is no work around without jailbreak. If apple had their way they would allow it, but carriers most likely influenced otherwise.