Data Roaming Off Still Got Billed £126.00 Data Roaming

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jupiter799, Oct 8, 2009.

1. jupiter799 macrumors newbie

Hi all, thanks for reading this thread. I'm hoping that somebody has had a similar problem.

I travel all around the world, and have done with my iPhone for the last 18 months. I recently got back from Saudi only to find I'd racked up a £126.00 data roaming charge on my latest bill.

I called 02 customer Service, who I have to say were very helpful. They asked if Data Roaming was off. I said of course it was, I know how expensive it is to Data Roam. They said to me they would refund the charges but told me.....not to do it again !!! Do what ? I said. I don't think the assistant believed that I had data roaming off. I know I've never had it on and I will never switch it on so how did these charges come about ?

I logged onto a Wifi point to download a few emails and that was that, no data roaming at all.

Any suggestions ? Am I missing something ? I want to be sure that I won't pick up these charges again incorrectly.

Thanks again for reading this.

iPhone 3G 16GB

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Did you send any picture messages when you were there?

There was a bug that caused data roaming to be turned back on if a MMS was sent.

3. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Was this bug on the provider's end or on the iPhone OS end?

4. jupiter799 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. No I didn't, just a few emails from a wifi point. The time that o2 said I did the data roaming was exactly when I logged onto this airport wifi spot. I definitely didn't see any other symbols other that the wifi signal indicators.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

O2's. They fixed it with an updated carrier file through iTunes.

6. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Is your iPhone Jailbroken? As this is a common occurrence with badly coded apps. Also i have read a few rare horror stories about email even on wifi been the number one culprit. (Some kind soul went through someones data usage report on a home wifi router and confirmed the email unexpectedly (and incorrectly) triggered data charges even on wifi)