Data Transfer Adventures – Leopard Alters Appearance Of Icons - Can I Stop It?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ZAPPAR, Sep 6, 2010.

1. ZAPPAR macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2010
    Just retired my G3-333 MHz (Gossamer MT). Had two (250 GB SATA) HD’s running 10.4.11.

Put one in my “New” G5 2.0 GHz Duel Core, which also has a 250 GB HD running Leopard.

I have thousands of MS Word & PDF documents stored on my G3 drives.

When I drag & drop my documents onto the Leopard drive … their blue, white, red, colored icons are transformed into a bunch of “non-descript” almost translucent icons.

This really sucks … One should be able to distinguish various types of documents at a glance!

Question: Does anyone know how to get the icons for Adobe PDF & MS Word documents, which were standardized between OS 8 and OS 10.4.11, to appear “normal” in the Leopard OS?

Is there a “Preferences” setting or a “Third Party” software fix for something like this? :confused:
  2. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    Maybe open View Options in Finder via CMD+J for the appropriate folder and de-select SHOW ICON PREVIEW if you are not in List Mode (CMD+2).
  3. ZAPPAR thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2010
    I'm not real bright when it comes to computer processes that aren't readily apparent ...

If I open a PDF doc and go into the "View" column of the finder, I don't see anything like a CMD+J option highlighted.

I'm thinking that you may be telling me to depress the CMD+J keys on my keyboard and then click into the Finder "view column."

Can you elaborate on the process a bit more?

Sorry I'm so slow ... and I appreciate your help!
  4. ZAPPAR thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2010
    Oh ... I see what you're talking about ... the CMD+J feature in the desktop icon "View."

I'll have to switch over to my Leopard drive and give that a try.

I'm working on my old Tiger drive until I get the Leopard loaded properly ...

I'll be back!
  5. ZAPPAR thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2010
    That worked like a charm. One mouse click did the job!

Have a couple of other "Data Transfer Adventures" coming up ... regarding Safari Bookmarks ... e-mails ... address books etc.

Think I'll do a couple searches before I post ... as they involve matters of getting "specific data" from one drive to another without transferring wholesale applications the way Migration Assistant does.

Thank you very much for assisting me with this icon problem ... :)