Data usage on a 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SirStrumalot, Nov 14, 2011.

1. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

I'm with AT&T and on their 2GB plan. My data usage is mostly some light browsing, Facebook, email and streaming radio 2/3 times a week (for about an hour each time). That being said, I monitor my data usage very carefully. So this month like usual, as soon as I got to 2020MB (which was about 3 days before my billing cycle ended), I turned off cellular data on my phone.

The next day, I dialed *3282# (which is AT&T's text service for data usage) and got a text back saying I had used 2067MB all of a sudden. Thinking this was a glitch and that I would get it resolved once my bill was out, I let it go. A couple hours later (with data still off), I found that it went up to 2080MB. What's going on here? Has anybody else faced this? :confused:

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Maybe just delay in some data being collated.

Log into your AT&T wireless account, select "View Recent Usage", scroll down to the Data area and click "View Details". Filter on "Internet/MEdia Net" It will show by date/time what your usage is.

Right now the most recent data I see is from 11/12 - so none of my usage from yesterday or today is counted in that total. Even if I shut off cellular data right now, I expect that total to go up over the next couple of days because I listened to Pandora in the car yesterday and did some Facebook updates at lunch today when I was away from WiFi.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Not all your data was accounted for at the time you checked it. Do you have the alert setup for when you get close to your data cap?

4. SirStrumalot thread starter macrumors 6502

I do. Turns out it was a glitch; my data counter didn't even get reset once my billing cycle was over (and as a result, by the third day of my billing cycle, I had used up 2130/2048) and I called up AT&T. They took off all the overage charges and gave me a $20 credit on my account for the inconvenience :)