Data usage unusually high?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by destroyboredom, Nov 4, 2011.

1. destroyboredom, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I upgraded to the 4S on launch day and just noticed my data usage took a huge jump for no apparent reason. I'm on the unlimited plan and used to use about 250MB/monthly. I just logged onto ATT and my data for the last billing period shows 1.9GB and this month is already at 500MB.

My usage really hasn't changed much at all. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

You mean 500 MB, right? iCloud, Siri, and iMessage may account for much of your new data usage.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Just out of curiosity, when you have unlimited, why worry about data usage? If I had unlimited data plan, I could care less of how much data I used. I'm on a 4 GB tethering + data plan. So Yes, I would have to check my data every week just to make sure i'm still within my limit.

4. destroyboredom thread starter macrumors 6502

Woops. 500MB. I did take about 20min of HD video. Is it really backing all that to iCloud over 3G? I have Photostream turned off because I haven't updated my iMac to the new iPhoto yet.

----------

I'm more concerned with AT&T flagging my account for excessive usage and throttling my speed, if there is something I can do to avoid it.

Also I'm sure there are a ton of people not on unlimited data, so I wanted to throw out the warning in case it's a bug.

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

iCloud backs up your Camera Roll which I assume has your 20 minute HD video in it so that will increase the size of your backup and, in turn, the amount of data you're consuming.

As for being flagged for excessive usage and throttlling, you may want to have a look at this thread for what others have used in order to get flagged by AT&T.

6. mom333, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

mom333 macrumors regular

Yes - look around the forum - it's a known issue.

I'm trying this: Settings / iCloud / Documents & Data - "Use Cellular" (OFF)

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Theoretically :p iCloud backups happen only over WiFi.

OP, have you looked at your detail usage on attwireless.com? A snapshot of mine is attached - on 10/26 and 10/28 I was listening to Pandora and you can definitely see the big usage there.

Attached Files:

8. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I generally use about 3 GB per month, and I have not been flagged for over usage.

9. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Automatic backups, yes, but since the OP mentioned 3G I assumed :)o) that it was regarding manual backups.

10. satchow macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that iCloud backups only happened when you were on WIFI

11. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

That's correct for automatic backups however one can back up to iCloud manually at any time, provided they have a data connection.

12. mom333 macrumors regular

That Documents & Data section has a default setting allowing it to "use cellular". You have to turn it off manually.

13. satchow macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's good to know. Now to turn it off for my dad and sister who only have 200mb of data.

14. destroyboredom thread starter macrumors 6502

I took a look at my usage detail and I think it may have been youtube videos. Thanks for the heads up on this. I didn't realize you could see the break down.