Data usage with i5 on vzw

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dmaynard83, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

I used to never go over 2gb. Glad I didn't move to a shared plan. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349881731.924074.jpg

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Do you tether or is that all pure phone usage?

3. Hauntedhallows macrumors newbie

Same here I am at like 4gb half way though my billing cycle with no tethering! I never used above 2gb before.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

It has zero to do with it being LTE and everything to do with using your phone more. My usage is the exact same. Also, There was an issue with verizon initially showing wifi usage as data usage. I wonder if the app you are using or looking at just didn't account for the change yet.

5. maflynn, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm on a 4gb family shared plan and my usage has not changed with the iPhone 5
    Between my wife and I, we used just a gig of data with a only a week left in the billing cycle

6. Dmaynard83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

I don't tether at all. And yes I'm aware of the issue when it was connected to wifi it was still using lte. During that time my usage was 3gb and I have used an additional 2gb since I updated the carrier settings.

I'm using the vzw app by the way.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Strangely, I must be using my iPhone5 less than my iPhone 4S because my data usage is still under 2GB for the month whereas in the past I have used 4-5GB per month. hmmm.

8. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Have you checked Verizons online data usage to compare with the phones verizons app ? See if there is a difference as some have reported

9. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

this. And you even posted you used 3gb before the thing was fixed and an addional 2 since then.....guess what? Your usage is 5 gb...

I bet it is just an issue with your data being shown wrong still

11. bogatyr macrumors 65816

The discrepancy is between the Settings -> General -> Usage and Verizon's info. The Verizon app and the Verizon website use the same info.

12. tocheeba macrumors member

Do none of you have wifi at home/work? Or are you all so young to where you don't work and are on the phone all day at school? Just asking because I have wifi at work/home, and haven't gone over 2GB. I tend to stream music whenever I'm driving, load websites, facebook, few youtube videos - nothing major. What the heck are you guys doing on your phones to where you are going through 10GB??

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

agreed about data usage haha. I want to say the most I have used in any given month is 1.5 gb and that is using maps, pandora two hours a day, and surfing/facebooking.

14. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

No wifi at work, and my home network is already bogged down with 1 iMac 2 iPads(kids) and Apple TV. I stream NFL Mobile on Sunday/Mondays because I got rid of direct TV and is my only way to watch football, I stream music on my drive to/from work, watch a ton of Youtube, and TedTalks. I have unlimited by the way and enjoy every moment of it.

15. tocheeba macrumors member

I guess that explains it - you never use wifi. Do you have 1mbps internet in your house? A couple ipads/computers shouldn't saturate your home internet if you have a standard 8mbps+ connection.

All these people using 5GB+ per month, most likely are kids always on youtube out with their friends or at school - or people at work with no wifi streaming all day long - or those that don't use wifi at all (or tether).

16. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Not everybody has Wifi everywhere they go or even at work. I almost never use wifi while at home cause it's like dialup. It's a slow 1.5 meg connection but it's all that I can get but I have unlimited 4G data so I am going to take full advantage of it :D

17. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

My home Internet is 5mbps down where it reaches the router even though the company claims 7mbp in my area and is thd fastest package we can get and with my kids streaming YouTube and Netflix at the same time as the Apple TV causing it to buffer on the iPads pretty bad. I don't mind not using wifi when I have Unthrottled LTE.

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

... so pretty much it could be any kind of person

19. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

This has been my question forever... When I got my first smartphone (and even with my 4s) I had unlimited data. I didn't ever even look until I heard about the tiered plans possibly rolling out. When I did look, and then started logging my data use, I was surprised to see that my wife and I use only .6 GB/month average. This was doing EVERYTHING that we want (navi, youtube, pandora one streaming, etc).

I have a ~22 mbps wifi at home. I don't have wifi at work (the neighboring office does and I can hit it sometimes if I really need to, but this hasn't always been the case... just as of a couple weeks ago). I also have a 1 hour roundtrip commute to work every day.

My wife has wifi at work but you have to authenticate every time you connect/reconnect so she doesn't always use it on her phone. She has a 15-20 minute daily roundtrip commute but streams pandora the whole time.

I just don't see where the gigs and gigs of data consumption are going. Watch TV on a TV. Play video games on a video game console. Watch Youtube videos on a TV/Computer... I don't even know why a lot of people would want to do many of the things that they do ON THEIR PHONES when a much more comfortable option is typically available.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I think a lot of it goes back to what the other poster said. A lot of people are still in school (high school, but mostly college) so do a ton of netflix streaming or are on them in class. Even with zero wifi available doing what you described between you and your wife would be max 1.5 gb. Say someone has class two days a week and has a 2 hour break where they stream a movie. That would be about 600mb's a week and 2.4 gigs for the month from movies alone.

Still how the hell do you get 10gb of use!

21. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Not everybody has high speed internet at home and there are things like slingbox and the XM radio app that use lots of data . I am not sure why it bugs people so much if somebody doesn't use a phone the exact same way you do. I did 9 gigs doing speed test just last month and I am already up to 1 gig this month and also do live streaming from my Iphone on ustream .

22. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Sweet Fancy Moses!

23. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

True... but I would like to find a university that doesn't offer free wifi to their students... If I had a 2 hour break, you bet I'd be on the university wifi. Heck, even high schools probably have it these days (I'm getting old :( ).

It doesn't bother me how people use their phone... you can cover it in strawberry jam and shove it in your keester for all I care... I am (like tocheeba) trying to figure out how the data gets used. I'm not passing judgement. Personally, I think it's silly to watch a netflix movie on my phone when I have a giant TV on my wall at home or why I would want to play a game on there when I could play a game on an Xbox, Play Station, wii, whatever... but if that's someone's thing, that's their thing.

Obviously there are other circumstances. If I didn't have high-speed home internet I would have probably done whatever it took to keep unlimited data so I could use my phone as a wifi hotspot at home. Instead of paying $50-something per month to keep unlimited data on my phone, I pay $50-something per month for home internet service that everyone at my house can use-- weather I'm home or not.

I can think of MANY different scenarios where keeping unlimited data and using gobs of it could happen but none of those have been cited as reasons or ways that people have done that.

Side note: Why on earth would someone need to run speed tests that equate to 9GB worth of data consumption? That's asinine.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

same. Aside from people who tether where does all of that data get used damnit! That person who used 9gb in speed test alone is the reason they did away with unlimited plans haha. I think it was something like 5% of users were using over 80% of the data.

25. Dmaynard83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

I do have Internet at home and for all downloading like podcasts and audiobooks I use my wifi at home. I get about 2mb/s at home.

Also based off the verizon website I have 5gb of data. I'm not complaining, just making an observation. It doesn't matter for me because I have unlimited data.