Data Usage with iPhone5 on ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsjared, Oct 10, 2012.

1. itsjared macrumors regular

itsjared

I know they said we'd use more data on the new phone but I can't help but think this is a bit ridiculous. Maybe I wouldn't mind so much if they throttled me to a respectable speed but I'm currently chugging along at .47Mbps!! Down form a high of 48.60Mbps.

I'm beginning to think there's some of that Verizon fuzzyness happening on ATT now too.
    Historically I would hover right around if not below the 3Gb mark. Now, with 7 days left in billing period, I am already a 7.8GB. WTF?>??
    Here is my historical data usage.
    2,536,574 KB Oct '11
    2,256,202 KB Nov
    2,116,708 KB Dec
    3,698,878 KB Jan
    2,872,989 KB Feb
    1,310,720 KB Mar
    951,960 KB Apr
    1,949,237 KB May
    1,756,867 KB Jun
    3,228,013 KB Jul
    2,761,217 KB Aug
    2,702,234 KB Sept
    7,855,670 KB Oct '12

And now in chart form:
    [​IMG]

2. ZipZap macrumors 601

Hasn't Verizon already admitted there is a problem and promised to not charge for the overages?

Call Verizon.

3. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

hes on ATT...

verizon released a carrier update to fix it.
    not sure whats taking att so long

4. mac.fanatic macrumors 6502

Turn cellular data off completely when not in use or using wifi until there is a fix for this; if it is a software related issue.

5. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I'm on AT&T and since 9.21, I have used some 2.2 gb of my unlimited data plan. I have not noticed any unusual data usage activity, yet.

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

This has been said in the other 3-5 threads on this exact subject:

Depending on how you use your phone LTE can dramatically increase the amount of data you use. For example, if you watch Netflicks the service checks your download speed and then determines what quality of video to send you. On LTE you'll use quite a bit more data.

Also, if you enjoy surfing online the fact that LTE loads pages much faster may encourage you to surf more than previously.

Data usage won't increase for everyone, but for some people it's going to increase quite a bit.. like the other 3-5 threads have discussed...... :rolleyes:

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

15/30 days
    567/2048 MB

About double my usual usage, but it's a new phone and been playing with it more. Not excessive though.

8. itsjared thread starter macrumors regular

itsjared

Not watching netflix. So there's that. Also, I don't think I could possibly surf the web equating to an additional 4GB of data on this device. I have an iPad for that.

My biggest issue is that the "throttling" makes the device almost un-usable on their network. I can't even load maps, b/c it times out. Everything times out. iMessage won't send messages b/c it times out and half (more like most) of the time the fall back to SMS is unreliable. Ok, so you have to throttle me, just give me enough to survive, 5Mbps would even be ok.

I just got off a 30 min convo with ATT and they said I'm SOL and that they can do what they want with the throttling. I mentioned the fact that some courts don't think they can and he wanted to elevate it (I knew this would happen so I didn't play it till the end of the convo).

All in all though he told me the same thing, "just turn of cellular data usage" and I countered with, I was sold an UNLIMITED plan and now you are limiting me. I think any other reasonable person would understand the word unlimited to mean what I think it means. He says he understands that but ATT doesn't "throttle" they "network optimize".

Guess I'd have to take em to court to get anywhere.

9. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

10. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

This is like THE TENTH thread about this!!! Come on people, everyone comment under one thread! Seriously! :eek:

----------

You can say what you wish, but as I've stated in other threads, I have PROOF of there being a problem. I was at home all day yesterday in a wifi zone and I had at least 10 cellular data charges up till 12:00am. Every time I used my phone, it was on wifi, at least from me checking the symbol up top. I'm watching mine closely daily now, and recording everything that is incorrect, and calling AT&T at least every other day to report this.

11. dchao macrumors 6502a

eeek! That's horrible, they should put everyone on unlimited data until they fix the problem.

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

if your phone is locked it will default to 3g/LTE. so if you have any background tasks like email going on then it will use up cellular data

13. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

So, you're telling me that even though I'm connected to my home wifi network, that if an email comes through, it's using cellular data? I don't have any locks on my home screen, just the 'slide to unlock'. That doesn't sound right?

----------

Just got off the phone with AT&T, and of course, they suggested turning off cellular data while on a wifi network. I'm going to do this for the next week and see if there is a difference.

Everyone should call tech support if they see this problem, they seem to know about it. They even suggested trading in the phone before my 30 days was up.

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

yep, been this way since at least the 3GS

a lot of times i even turn of cellular data at home, but mostly because it uses a lot less battery power even if you're on wifi

15. itsjared thread starter macrumors regular

itsjared

This thing is craptastic. I just want my "throttling" to be fast enough to actually be usable.

16. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

hmm when i was on att when thorttled i could still use spotify, google maps and imessage... even netflix would work, just had to wait a min for it to buffer.
    i dont understand how .5-.7 mbps is unusable.. i know its not enjoyable at times.. but it works. When DSL first came out it was .6 mbps.. it was usable

17. alent1234 macrumors 603

oh noes, the digital couch potatoes can't hog up the network

18. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

I will have to research this. I've had an iPhone since the original and have never heard of it. Oh, well..... :apple:

----------

You want to talk about throttling, try talking on the phone and access a webpage or facebook. It's throttled so bad a text message will not go through. This was supposed to be one of the advantages of having AT&T. Not anymore.

Ever since AT&T started throttling people using data and voice at the same time last year, their service really has sucked. If I had the money to get out of my contract, I would have definitely went to Verizon, probably will next year. Been with ma-bell since 2001.