Data use iPhone 5 Orange UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mick B, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Mick B macrumors newbie

Mick B

I am having an issue with my data usage and iPhone 5.
    I am a new customer to Orange and have a 1g plan. I had 500meg of data with 02 and it lasted me a full month with some to spare. Since my iPhone 5 arrived it has used nearly all my data within a week even though I have had issues even connecting to the internet(that were reported). If you are using large amounts of data for no reason contact customer support. The iphone 5 has a data leak supposedly that uses massive amounts of data even though you dont browse anything. I have used 80meg from 11 last night till 8 this morning even though I was in bed and all apps syncs etc were closed own.

Orange have reimbursed my data but the issue is not resolved so watch your data. Are Apple aware of this as I spoke to them this morning and they were not concerned and said there were no issues.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Airplane mode on and wifi back on will solve any overnight data issues

3. jce2702 macrumors newbie

The exact same thing happened to me within a week of having the iPhone 5 on Orange - went through 800Mb of mobile data whilst sat on my desk connected to the office WiFi.

Orange were unable to identify or weren't aware of any problem and whilst I got one of their more helpful guys on the phone, weren't going to offer me any extra. It wasn't til I said I would return the phone as I was still within the 14-day distance selling regulation that they added an extra 750Mb to see me through the month.

This is what I have learnt: the main culprit seems to be the iOS Podcast App. I've heard about this on a few prodcasts. I have witnessed first hand that even with the 'use mobile data' option switched OFF, the Podcast App will still use 3G to carry on downloading a podcast. Only when you switch off 'use mobile data' in the general settings can this be overridden.

In addition, I have heard that the Podcast App has been seen to use 3 times the amount of data required (i.e. downloading a 50Mb podcast results in 150Mb data being used) and worse - that the app will download OLD podcasts or will attempt to download the same podcast multiple times (which is what I believe happened to me).

I've installed Wali Data Usage Defender that together with the in-built mobile data usage meter, I watch like a hawk.

Due a call back from Orange on the 24th to see what their tech team has discovered - but an iOS 6/Podcast update cannot come quick enough.

4. Mick B, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

Mick B thread starter macrumors newbie

Mick B

I am glad someone else has this issue on Orange UK. Just got my full data plan for this month so I will see how it goes. A recommendation I had was to go into privacy settings ,location settings, scroll to the bottom to system services and turn them all off as they all use data.
    I have also deleted the Podcast app just to see if that helps as I only use it on my iPad anyway.

I will monitor this and feed back over the next few days.

5. cgs101 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem here guys, new iPhone 5, purchased unlocked from Apple, using with Orange/EE on pay as you go.
    The phone used up 270MB in one day with standard settings and whilst being relatively idle.

Both Apple and Orange say they've not heard of the problem although Apple are currently helping me with it. Still doing tests but the data leak seems to have something to do with the iCloud service.