Dateline Germany: Muslim migrants stone transgender women

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jan 18, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I can't wait to hear the excuses for this one. Will the mayor of Cologne blame the victims again? Perhaps she'll suggest that transgender women repress their true selves so they aren't attacked by Muslim migrants.

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

dark days for gays & women in Europe.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Just misunderstood youth really. If I were the German's I would apologize to them and their parents for not understanding their "culture". I would encourage them to do something more constructive with stones (like build a pyramid). I would also give them a settlement immediately as to not be viewed as "Islamaphobic". I would also pass an ordinance in the German town to require male transgenders to mark their crotchel regions with a blue asterisk to avoid any future confusion, in turn preventing them from ending up with a cinder block upside the head.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Generally speaking datelines are used to indicate the city or area the reporter filed their story from, not the country. So, it should be Dateline: Dortmund, Germany.

It's interesting that this is becoming a series of threads. Earlier you posted about reports of attacks on women in Germany, and another story about Muslims throwing Christians overboard while crossing the Mediterranean.

What are you trying to say with these threads? Are you just cataloguing a brace of crimes? Why not look at overall crime rates in Europe? Or, for that matter, the 1,600 crimes committed against refugees in Germany during 2015?

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I'm trying for a Walter Winchell effect. It's hard to do without sound.

But I posted nothing about people throwing people overboard.

Correct. I'm going to start a new thread every time a Muslim migrant outrage occurs in Europe.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...d-her-from-new-years-eve-sexual-a6816221.html

An American woman has told how she was rescued from being sexually assaulted on New Year’s Eve in Cologne by a group of Syrian refugees.

Caitlin Duncan, a neuroscience student from Seattle, told the New York Times she had become separated from her boyfriend in the crowded square outside the city’s famous cathedral and main railway station.

She described a man stealing her hat before another “grabbed” her from behind, searching through her pockets and a third man tried to kiss her face and neck.

[...]

The 27-year-old escaped and attempted to complain to police but they were busy trying to clear the square and shoved her back into the crowd, where another group of men started groping her and pulling her hair.

“I went into a kind of fighting mode, and kicked and hit and pushed until I got away,” she said. “I was getting really scared.”

That was when she was approached by a group of Syrian refugees offering help.

They formed a protective cordon around Ms Duncan to help her through the crowd, offered to phone her boyfriend and searched for him with her when she could not remember his number.

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

It is starting to sound like there needs to be some kind of education system in place to combat some of these issues.

8. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Finding that Syrian refugees acting humanly is somehow remarkable smacks of the racism of low-expectations. Pretty soon someone will tell them, "You're a credit to your race."

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yeah, I get the effect. But, datelines actually have some meaning. Here, we can't tell where the reporter is, but since the sources are all collected from other news sites, it's pretty clear that the reporter is not in Dortmund.

And, the Jerusalem Post isn't exactly an unbiased source for news.

I'm confused, maybe you could explain this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ians-overboard-during-migrant-voyage.1868280/

Are the North African men Muslim? The vagueness of their country of origin speaks to at least shoddy reporting on the part of the Jerusalem Post.

You should also keep in mind that just in the last two posts you've conflated migrants with refugees. Now, of course, you could argue that all refugees are migrants, but not all migrants are refugees.

If you're going to do this, at least find stronger sources.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Where did I say anything about being remarkable?

I'm just posting an article that balances out your anti-refugee platform here.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Not really. It's illustrating that among apparent block groups of people—Muslim migrants—there are good people and terrible people.

12. aaronvan, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016

aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

The JP reported what occurred same as the other article I linked. It was not an opinion column.

Sorry, I forgot all about that thread. It's been a long ten months.

I doubt they're Sephardi Moroccan Jews or tribal animists from the Atlas Mountains. Seriously, yes. Some media identified them as Muslims. They're minors, so not a lot of information is public.

IMO, they're all economic migrants but refugee is shorter.

I'm reporting facts that make you uncomfortable; ergo, I am "anti-refugee."

That is the same technique that the EU elites had been using to quash debate on their policy of uncontrolled immigration. Hell, it's no different than accusing someone of racism because they disagree with Obama on some issue. It's a distraction and a deflection.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sure, but the JP is just aggregating reporting. Why not just link the original reports rather than a report that tries to link the actions of young North African men with the horrors committed by ISIS? It's a clear bias.

No worries.

I agree, but are they Algerian? Moroccan? Specifics matter.

And, note, the event in Cologne and here were both apparently committed by North Africans, and the woman quoted above was protected by Syrians. So, rather than just shrug and say Muslim migrants, lets look to specifics to understand the issue.

People who flee warfare are not economic migrants, so I don't know why you would conflate the two together—except to build a nice ideological box without any troublesome corners.

14. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Someone fleeing warfare could stop in Turkey or Jordan--or even the peaceful Kurdish areas of Iraq and Syria--and be refugees. However, when refugees risk life and limb crossing 16 borders to reach Germany or Sweden--because those nations are most generous with the freebies--then they become economic migrants. IMO.

15. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

are ISIS the only ones who stone women & gays in the M-E?
    how "specific" do you want to get? because we could stop at just saying "men" did it.

16. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

If you really want to talk about teh freebies:

http://www.cato.org/publications/po...w-federal-government-subsidizes-us-businesses
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/25/government-subsidies-corporations_n_1912835.html
    http://thinkbynumbers.org/governmen...fare-statistics-vs-social-welfare-statistics/

Using your own beliefs on handouts, what those articles talk about make you no less upset, surely?

But keep on blaming anyone for wanting freebies, just like how you never had, returned all the gifts Santa gave you, and so on...

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The vast majority of those leaving Syria have stopped in Jordan, Turkey, Iraq and Egypt. And, in Lebanon nearly one in six are refugees.

You make an interesting point about the people who press on being essentially economic arguments, after all, if you've already pushed to Turkey, why not go a little further to get to a first class economy where you might be able to make a living rather than staying in refugee camps for a generation.

However, I don't think it's "freebies" that drives people to Germany, France, etc. but instead, a genuine appreciate that those economies are powerful and there's a place to make money. Certainly, some are aware of Germany's welfare state, but they could stay in Lebanon to get "freebies" in camps.

No, just that was the reference in the JP article, which leapt from Germany to the horrors of ISIS, essentially connecting them together. Which is dodgy as hell.

I always prefer specifics down to the individual. Where were these guys from? How long were they in Germany? What's their religion? What's their family background? Have they been in trouble before?

Saying three men from North Africa is incredibly vague.

It's like saying the men were from North America, and then using that to discuss the crime committed by Canadian refugees.

18. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Indeed, I don't begrudge the refugees. They are simply behaving as rational economic actors.

19. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I agree!

In _any_ group of people of any ethnicity there's good and bad.

Unfortunately when that group is Muslim, Hussein staunchly supports the theory that 100% are good and none can be bad.

That guy lives in his own bizarre world.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Excuses? Sounds like the offenders were arrested. They used stones to assault someone. How is that different from the knives, clubs and guns that are the usual weapons of choice?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2016 ---
    Everyone needs a hobby. :rolleyes:

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm glad you clarified that.

Specifics can be useful as a counterexample. But, to assess risk, I prefer aggregates and statistics. What fraction of crime in Germany is due to "Muslim migrants" and how do crime rates compare to the general population?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...facts-about-whos-most-likely-to-a6818056.html

For all the hype about Syrian refugees, as far as I can tell, the young men in Cologne statistically were mostly recent immigrants from Maghreb countries. It could be that there is some issue with this national group in particular that is creating a problem. I doubt if we will get to the root of the problem if sweeping generalizations are made.

22. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Yep, and starting gun threads in PSRI is more popular than collecting stamps.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I see. Posting as a form of political revenge. Talk about low-expectations.

24. FieldingMellish Suspended

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816