Dating With Decency?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gleepskip, Nov 5, 2017.

1. gleepskip macrumors regular

gleepskip

[​IMG]

I don't understand why anti-feminism is celebrated by Apple in their App Store. I thought Apple were progressive, not looking for ways to promote outdated ideas.

2. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Who is celebrating? Maybe they just don't censor......

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A quick search through the App Store found Christian dating, Jewish dating, Hindu dating, apps that facilitate affairs or hookups with complete strangers.

But a Muslim dating app goes too far?

:rolleyes:

4. gleepskip thread starter macrumors regular

gleepskip

They shouldn't censor, but this app is featured on the Today tab on the App Store with an attached story. "Honoring tradition" juxtaposed with a woman wearing a hijab sends a pretty strong message.

I don't mind Muslim dating apps being in the store. My beef is with Apple highlighting this particular app while traditional Muslim beliefs are not known for being progressive.

5. krause734 macrumors 6502a

krause734

Find a Cliterectomist app is right next to it

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Dang. Sounds like a stern email to Apple.

Include this emoji :mad:.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Maybe you shouldn’t depend on corporations supporting your own personal agenda/beliefs?

I truly don’t see anything here to get in a twist about. And I’m no fan of Islam.

8. 556fmjoe macrumors 68000

556fmjoe

Not everyone agrees with your view of the world. They are also Apple customers.

9. gleepskip thread starter macrumors regular

gleepskip

I'm definitely not depending on Apple to project my beliefs. I just find it odd they single out a vertical that is so incongruent with their own corporate messaging: traditional anti-woman Islam with no means to meet same-sex partners.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Here's what I see when I look at the illustration ...

datingWithVampires.gif

11. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

A few weeks ago they had an ad that featured an LGBT app maker. Unless you started a thread about that also, then yes, you are actually expecting Apple to be in line with your own ideology.

12. gleepskip thread starter macrumors regular

gleepskip

I don't follow. What does my own ideology have to do with it?

LGBT rights are one of many causes that Apple are involved in, so it's natural for them to feature a developer from that community.

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Malala Yousafzai wears a hijab. Do you consider her anti-feminist?

Not every hijab means oppression. Just like not every man wearing a cross means he's a child molester.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I decided to check out the Today tab because it isn't something I'm familiar with. And my Today tab features music software that I was looking up yesterday. Apparently, Today tab's content is based [at least partly] on the user's history, which leads me to wonder what apps gleepskip has been browsing through. It might help explain why he saw this one featured on his device.

15. gleepskip thread starter macrumors regular

gleepskip

That's a rather poor equivalency. I think you would find the number of those populations would be pretty much the inverse of each other.

I can't explain why the feature story would be a dating app. I'm happily married, nor am I Muslim.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

All major religions have a history of Sexism.

17. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yes, one of many causes. But that doesn’t mean that they should support the LGBT viewpoint to the exclusion of other viewpoints, which seems to be what you’re implying they should do.

They can be supportive of LGBT rights while acknowledging that many of their customers have a more traditional view on relationships, sex and marriage. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

18. citizenzen, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I just opened my phone and saw it. You are correct about that. And now that I think about it, the software ad featured yesterday compelled my search, not the other way around.

Now for some strange reason ... I'm curious ... what direction is Mecca from here?

19. gleepskip thread starter macrumors regular

gleepskip

It's not what I think they should do, it's what I expect them to do. I expect them to support women, not laud a platform that can lead to women to being abused.

20. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

How would a dating app that caters towards men and women who hold traditional Muslim values lead to abuse any more than other dating apps would?

Or are you saying that Islam itself leads to women being abused?

21. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Citation please.

22. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I don’t mind so much when they have a history of it. As long as that’s what it is: history. And nope, this isn’t just about some Muslims.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Pro-lifers use religion to try forcing a women's choice.
    Promiscuous women are deemed as sluts and ungodly by many religious people, but that's not shown towards men.
    Wives are deemed to be servitude to their husbands in the name of religion.
    And so on and so on.

Religious books themselves are sexist. So it's up to the people of how they practice. But plenty of that sexism is still practiced today.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

LMAO!!! But sadly, it's no difference than the majority of users that are catfishers.