Daughter's iPhone 5 looks different than mine

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Mar 24, 2013.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

Today I was looking at my daughter's iPhone 5. I noticed that there is something to the left of the speaker and camera. My phone doesn't have it. What is it?

Attached Files:

2. simply stunning macrumors regular

I assume you have a black phone? Your phone does have it too. It is the light sensor. It is how the screen gets brighter in the sun, and also darker at night/when you put it up to your ear for a call.

3. JS3 macrumors regular

Is urs black? if it is then it is there u just don't see it.

4. erichess22 macrumors regular

It is a light sensor and if yours is black it still has it, just hard to see.

5. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Yup light sensor... Ur fine u just don't see it cuz it blends wid ur black ip5

6. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

It's a combination of the ambient light sensor and the proximity sensor. The light sensor works with auto-brightness to brighten the screen in bright conditions and to darken the screen in low light conditions. The proximity sensor detects where the phone is in relation to your face, which is used with Siri's raise to speak feature, as well as the phone's feature to shut the screen off when you put it to your ear.

I'm assuming your iPhone 5 is black, in which case the sensor would blend in with the black glass of the phone. It's still there on your phone.

7. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, I have a black phone. It totally blends in!