Dave Matthews Band ends holdout, releases new single in iTun...


Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
iTMS should not carry songs from artists who display an amazing abundance of stupidity. Like The Beatles, Metallica, Madonna, etc.
 

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
598
0
CD: TX-14
and it's about time too!!!

Metallica, Beatles, Radiohead, and Linkin Park remain.

But DMB was my big one. However, I already pre-ordered Stand Up from their website so I could get 5 B-sides/live songs with it, so no DMB from iTMS for me. However, If Live at Folsom Field, Boulder Colorado were to come online, perhaps?
 

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
598
0
CD: TX-14
Lacero said:
iTMS should not carry songs from artists who display an amazing abundance of stupidity. Like The Beatles, Metallica, Madonna, etc.
Hey! It's not stupidity to not want to join an organization when, if you're like dave, already have your own online store working from your website (digital downloads off their website).

As for the others, they're just wary. McCartney probably just wants his rights back from Michael Jackson is his reason. Metallica, I dunno what's up with them. remember, Smashing pumpkins were not on the store until a few weeks ago.
 

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
496
2
Southern Oregon
Beatles can stay off...

Argh.. cant stand the Beatles. Metallica on the other hand - I would love to d/l thier stuff and actually pay for it. I leeched.. er, knew people who leeched off them for way too long. I mean.. wtf? They make more money from concerts anyway! Which are always full way before the venue. Granted, they are getting older and cant do this stuff as much anymore.. and hell, without the drugs and booze, it might just be too hard for these older guys to rock on. But they do have to grow up eventually.. they DID have lots of really good mellow rock.. maybe they should concentrate on that.. stuff thats less screaming and hard core metal (last album).. and a little more chill. Then they wont get so tired and expect the money to flow in from album sales (which the last album didnt do for them).

/Beatles can suck a fat one
//Rock on forever Metallica!
 

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
496
2
Southern Oregon
No...

Im 25, and the Beatles sound gay. Cant handle that .. almost country twangish sound of thick english accent. That and they have no sex appeal. Although I am very straight as a male, I see the Beatles and want to punch each one of them.

Im not saying they aren't great, just saying that I cant stand them and I'm tired of everybody going off about them. I dont know anybody my age that likes the Beatles.. so thats just a generation gap.. but I would much rather see Metallica get on iTunes than the Beatles. I guess.. as world wide press / fans go - the Beatles are bigger..but Metallica has made a huge impact on its genre. To me, Metallica is bigger, better, and more bad ass. When I get up in the morning and drive to work, I dont need to hear about Jean or whatever the Beatles sing about. I want to hear hard ass rock that gets my ass up..not puts me to sleep.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
the beatles have thier place as do metallica.... im 21 and i listen to the beatles as does my gf (18) .... metallica has no growth though imo, their songs all sound the same.....

i am by no means a beatle lover, or a metallica hater, and i could care less if either band was on the iTMS....just like i dont care about DMB being up there


i want to see TooL, more NIN, Radiohead.....etc
 

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
833
0
South Windsor, CT
TwitchOSX said:
Im 25, and the Beatles sound gay. Cant handle that .. almost country twangish sound of thick english accent. That and they have no sex appeal. Although I am very straight as a male, I see the Beatles and want to punch each one of them.

Im not saying they aren't great, just saying that I cant stand them and I'm tired of everybody going off about them. I dont know anybody my age that likes the Beatles.. so thats just a generation gap.. but I would much rather see Metallica get on iTunes than the Beatles. I guess.. as world wide press / fans go - the Beatles are bigger..but Metallica has made a huge impact on its genre. To me, Metallica is bigger, better, and more bad ass. When I get up in the morning and drive to work, I dont need to hear about Jean or whatever the Beatles sing about. I want to hear hard ass rock that gets my ass up..not puts me to sleep.
I'm 24. i got tickets to see McCartney in Boston this September. It will be my third time seeing him. I've seen Ringo twice. I saw Metallica at Woodstock 99 and fell asleep. That had something to do to with crowd surfing during Rage Against the Machine, but my point is that the debate of "who sucks" and "who rules" can go on forever. if you don't like a band show some maturity and don't say you want to punch them. 2 of them are dead anyway, so good luck with that. if that makes feel like a bad ass, go ahead, but know you sound ridiculous.
 

wowoah

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
187
0
Berkeley, CA
TwitchOSX said:
Im 25, and the Beatles sound gay. Cant handle that .. almost country twangish sound of thick english accent. That and they have no sex appeal. Although I am very straight as a male, I see the Beatles and want to punch each one of them.

Im not saying they aren't great, just saying that I cant stand them and I'm tired of everybody going off about them. I dont know anybody my age that likes the Beatles.. so thats just a generation gap...
I'm 21, love the Beatles, and can't stand Metallica (or homophobic machismo types for that matter.) People get too worked up over music. Who cares if you don't like DMB? Lots of people find plenty of satisfaction listening to their music. Music is great in general. Long live iTMS.
 

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
808
42
Pennsylvania
The Beatles are...ok...not my cup of tea but still classic..

Metallica are alright...older stuff was better but I like some of their stuff...

DMB is friggin great...Violins, Sax, Keyboards and great songs...concerts are a good time too...hell of a jam band.
 

840quadra

Moderator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
8,091
3,382
Twin Cities Minnesota
Hey.. we were talking about this the day before on an other thread :(

Anyway, it is good the official word is out to promote this now.. I have been a Dave Matthews band follower since "remember 2 things" came out :)
 

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
833
0
South Windsor, CT
bpd115 said:
The Beatles are...ok...not my cup of tea but still classic..

Metallica are alright...older stuff was better but I like some of their stuff...

DMB is friggin great...Violins, Sax, Keyboards and great songs...concerts are a good time too...hell of a jam band.
I'm a Phish Head. Now they are a hell of a jam band.
 

mullet

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2003
107
6
B'klyn
</lurker mode>

I usually don't chime in, but I have to represent on this one. First of all, DMB ain't nothing when it comes to being a jamband. They don't hold a candle to Phish or the Grateful Dead or SCI. They are a good band but they don't take it to the level that Phish did. Secondly, in the history of rock and roll, The Beatles will always trump Metallica. Both have created great music, but The Beatles defined rock and roll. Metallica will just be a foot note. Anyway to the dude thats 25 and thinks that anything besides Metallica is gay. Grow up. Get a clue. I'm 27 and I prefer The Beatles over Metallica any day.

~Mullet

<lurker mode>
 

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
9,366
119
Los Angeles
PlaceofDis said:
the beatles have thier place as do metallica.... im 21 and i listen to the beatles as does my gf (18) .... metallica has no growth though imo, their songs all sound the same.....
Unless you just rarely ever listen to Metallica, and/or that genre in general, I don't understand how you can say everything from Kill'em All to St. Anger sounds the same.



Lethal
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,232
4
LethalWolfe said:
Unless you just rarely ever listen to Metallica, and/or that genre in general, I don't understand how you can say everything from Kill'em All to St. Anger sounds the same.



Lethal
i rarely listen to metallica myself, i had it drummed into me by a former roomate, perhaps one of the reasons i dislike them now is because of my distaste for that particular person.....sure they have grown and changed a bit, but not by leaps and bounds either...

debating music really is a moot point, its almost impossible to agree on this stuff LoL
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,693
1
LaLaLand, CA
TwitchOSX said:
Im 25, and the Beatles sound gay.
Pretty sure they're heterosexual. Yoko kinda looks like a dude though, so whatever.

And Metallica hasn't rocked since we were in Junior High School, though we couldn't appreciate it at the time anyway. Load was just that.

DMB is no Phish. Watered down version maybe, even then.
 

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
9,366
119
Los Angeles
PlaceofDis said:
debating music really is a moot point, its almost impossible to agree on this stuff LoL

Hey, that hasn't stopped anyone in this thread so far. And, eh, yer loss re: Metallica. ;)

Anyway...

One thing that seems to usually slip thru the cracks regarding the Beatles is that they impacted the recording process in the studio nearly as much as they did the face of music.

I really not a Beatle's fan, but I'm also not going to short change them their place in music history.


Lethal