David Duke: "Of Course Trump Voters Are My Voters"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Aug 5, 2016.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm splitting this into two separate posts because while the first is a summary article of what is being said, the second is the entire interview which goes into further detail on what is being stated. And to be honest, it isn't pretty. First, the story:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ke-says-of-course-trump-voters-are-his-voters

We here seriously try to not play the 'guilty by association' game, but damn it all if Duke isn't playing the 'guilty by association' game.

BL.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

3. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Second part. Just so those do not think that the OP is over-sensationalized, here is the full interview that was conducted this morning.

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/05/48879...david-duke-on-his-senate-run-and-donald-trump

I really have to applaud Steve Inskeep for his maturity and tact for journalism. It is hard to remain neutral and concentrate on the story in the world of the 24-hour news cycle, and that is one of the things that Inskeep and NPR are really adept at doing.

BL.

4. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

It’s true, there are Trump supporters who support Duke. But most Trump supporters don’t, and most people, Trump supporters included, don’t give a damn what Duke thinks or says.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

In reality, what you say is correct, some support, others are against, some don't give a crap what Duke believes either which way. Yet Duke is claiming all of Trump's followers support Duke. Entitlement and egoism, is Duke trying to drive voters away from Trump?

6. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke faces sky-high disapproval ratings as he runs for the Republican nomination for Senate in Louisiana, according to a new poll.

More than 80 percent of 614 respondents had an unfavorable view of Duke, regardless of race, gender or party affiliation, a University of New Orleans poll shows.

The poll was conducted July 27 and 28 via robocall and had a margin of error of 3.95 percentage points.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/david-dukes-unpopularity-sky-high#sthash.8s28nf4k.dpuf

Duke is a non-story, he won't even make it out of the Republican Primary Race. NPR only ran this as a hit piece to try and link Trump to Duke.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

got some evidence to back that up?

8. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Did you bother to read the post above yours?

9. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Source for your assertion, please.

BL.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Who is this guy and who gives a **** about him? Wasteland.

11. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

The source is linked in my post, don't be dense.

12. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Apparently you are too young to remember the 1992 election, otherwise you'd know who he is... Or too lazy to do the research to learn about him.

BL
    --- Post Merged, Aug 5, 2016 ---
    You claimed that NPR ran that story in an attempt to associate Duke with Trump. Back up that claim, as your source has nothing to do with your assertion.

BL.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

What relevance does this guy have? Did Trump endorse him? If leftist green peace terrorists come out for Hillary do we care? And no I don't remember the 1992 election, I was 8.

14. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Why else would they run a piece on a candidate polling at less than 20% in the primary, they just wanted to link a former Klan head to Trump, pure and simple. Same reason you posted it.

15. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Thank you for answering my question; you were too young. Read up on David Duke, then come back to the thread when you have more information.

BL.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 5, 2016 ---
    Your opinion, which you asserted. Back up your assertion. Third call.

BL.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You provide some type of link to Trump and I'll go read up on him, are they long lost cousins? Or are you just bringing up a random persons views to link him with Trump?

17. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm not linking Duke to Trump. Duke is doing that himself. If you read both articles, you'd see that Duke is doing that on his own, without the help of Trump or anyone else.

I will say this: with the glut of over-sensationalised threads about Hillary, it takes one story about Trump to get your panties in a bunch.

BL.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Honestly in that full interview I got to this...

INSKEEP: The Trump campaign has made statements, formal statements, disavowing you and people like you. And the chairman of the state Republican Party in Louisiana - who's a gentleman who's been on this program - has been very negative towards you as well and said, we want no part of your candidacy. What do you say to people like that?

DUKE: Well, look, Donald Trump can say it's his campaign. He should say whatever he wants to say. We've done analysis of what's going on here in Louisiana. We've already polled inside the Trump voters, and we know that we're going to carry 75 to 80 percent of those who are going to vote for Trump.

INSKEEP: You think Trump voters are your voters?

DUKE: Well, of course they are because I represent the ideas of preserving this country and the heritage of this country. And I think Trump represents that as well.

... and I think well we have a Senate that is 94% white and a House that's 80% white so David Duke obviously needs to catch up with the times, but he's also stuck in a past that never really existed. So Duke is nowhere.

This seems less a hit piece on Duke than a hit piece on Trump. Letting Duke get his little sttas in there about the overlap in potential voters. Doesn't strike me as a big surprise. Duke is an opportunist like Trump.

But what's Trump gong to do, get up there and tweet don't vote for David Duke?

Funny if his polls dropped in Louisiana.

19. A.Goldberg, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Yeah, I don't buy the David Duke supports Trump ergo Trump has the exact same views as David Duke. If you listen to the audio, Duke never states that Trump endorsed him. But anyways...

David Duke needs to take a history lesson about the Jewish migration through Europe. His assertion that Trump voters are Duke voters only highlights his disconnect with reality. David Duke should know first hand he is in the minority of political favor. He has been, and continues to be, nothing less than an absolute embarrassment to himself.

And typing a response to his nonsense honestly pays him much more respect than he deserves.

FYI Duke isn't racist, he's just looking out for the rights and status of "European Americans" (???). :rolleyes:

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

Let's see how a conservative African American reacts to this linkage of white supremacists like Duke to Trump.