David Hogg thinks schools requiring clear backpacks is unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

Backpacks are already subject to search; they don't break a law. Might as well go with see through clothing because I can think of a few guns you can easily conceal and still pack a punch.

3. jerwin macrumors 68020

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Several thoughts:
    • Hogg is not trying to infringe on anyone’s 2nd Amendment rights
    • If you’ve ever heard him speak, you’ll know he’s not a moron
    • Clear backpacks struck me as a bit over the top as well, but
    • Those kids are feeling vulnerable right now, so I’m willing to cut the school some slack
    • Legally, however, Hogg is probably right

5. Rogifan, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018

Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yes I’ve heard him speak. Yes he is a moron. And yes if he thought repealing the 2nd amendment was feasible he’d be pushing for it.

Btw these were some of the signs at the march yesterday. These kids don’t want constructive dialogue about how to prevent school violence. They’re liberal hacks looking for the spotlight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I’m not sure if it’s unconstitutional, but it’s definitely invasive on your privacy.

7. jeyf, Mar 25, 2018

jeyf macrumors 6502a

they should tax the gun geeks and use this money to install effective school security, victim's assistance, owner training and more.

i was leaving costCo wearing my gym back pack and they wanted to search inside. I told them my dirty sox smelled and why are they not searching the ladies hand bags? I walked right past them and drove off un molested. My next costCo visit they are currently not asking to see inside customers back packs.

8. jerwin macrumors 68020

Apparently, the right to shoot people is more important than interior life. Apparently, the right of others to commit unspeakable acts of violence against others is more important than the right to live in a society where the threat of violence is diminished.

9. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The moron comment your referenced comes from our local gun lobby.
    If clear backpacks means screening, there are places like sporting events and airports where back backs and purses are screened. I could easily see a circumstance where as a response to gun violence, security screening check points appear at schools, malls, etc.

10. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Well I think the second amendment should be protected also, I just don’t think clear backpacks is a solution.

Neither do I think is banning semi-automatic assault rifles is, handguns are used in 80% of shootings.

What I really think we need to do is do something about the illegal gun problem. 79% of shootings are with illegal guns. We need to register each gun to its owner, and if they let it get into the wrong hands there should be severe penalties.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sure, let's tax votes too and use that for some social cause.

12. Zenithal macrumors 604

13. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Can't have it both ways. People here seem to object to clear backpacks but at the same time think nothing should be done about access to guns. No changes to gun policy means activists will look for other ways. If you want to talk about moronic, I say gun advocates refusal to do ANYTHING like closing loopholes or implementing any common sense legislation is on it's own Moronic. If I were the gun lobby I would implement my own policy and make a few concessions rather than having activists do it for you. That way it's done in a manner that would be acceptable.

Love what David Hogg said:

"Regardless of what your opinions are or where you come from, you need to realize we are the future of America. And if you choose not to stand with us, that's OK because you'll be on the wrong side of the history textbooks that we write. But if you choose to stand with us, you will be praised as standing up with the future of America. Because at the end of the day, what our generation is fighting for - not only for us, not only for the kids that are alive right now but the future of America. We can and we will outlive our opponents because they're old, and they are stuck in their old ways. We will change the face of America with or without our opponents."

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Then we differ in our perception of Mr. Hogg. I’m not about to try to read his mind, although I would like to know why any attempt to install responsibility to go along with those 2A rights is treated as an existential threat.

Out of all the posters there, though, you did manage to find two of the most extreme ones. (The middle one is actually pretty good.)

To be fair, though, they do inspect every cart leaving the store. It’s part of loss prevention. It felt weird at first, but I’m free to not shop there if I feel that strongly about it.

15. Rogifan, Mar 25, 2018

Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

So basically you’re saying anyone who supports the 2nd Amendement or lawfully owns a gun believes in unspeakable acts of violence and the right to shoot other human beings.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2018 ---
    You want the federal government to have a registry of everyone who lawfully owns a gun? Seriously?

16. jerwin macrumors 68020

Or has never seriously considered the ramifications, yes.

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

And what did you expect?

That they tiptoe around the issue (and politicians being in the NRA's pocket) just not upset some triggerhappy gunnuts?

Noone expects someone like Rubio to do something meaningful bout gun control, so the goal should be to point out his flaws making sure that voices like his just don't matter after 2020 (or 2024/28...).

Those kids do know they are in for the long haul.

18. Zenithal macrumors 604

As a long time member of Costco (@A.Goldberg can attest to my love for the place), they only look at how many items you have vs. what's on the bottom of your receipt. They don't count individually but if the difference is huge, they'll stop you at the door and do a one-by-one count. If you've got less items in your cart they don't care.

We spend anywhere from 5-7K on food a year at Costco. And maybe a few hundred to a thousand on alcohol. You could say I'm a Costco enthusiast.

19. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Any worse than these images, Right here in America?

598f3d371500007d208b6472.jpeg g-31.jpg

20. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I say let’s bring back the poll tax and levy it against all the morons at this rally who are or soon will be able to vote.

21. bopajuice, Mar 25, 2018

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Is it possible to talk rationally? I order to have a conversation does it always have to be extremes?

I support owning guns, belong to the NRA, but I am open to conversations about how to prevent gun violence. To even bring up the subject it quickly turns to extreme questions like this. I understand your frustration, but is there no other way to approach this topic?

22. dannyyankou, Mar 25, 2018

dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Yep, we do so with cars, why not guns? Let’s say you had to pay a $10k fine if your gun was used by someone else in a shooting. You’d be a lot more careful with it right?

I mean seriously, how do you think we should fix the illegal gun problem (79% of shootings!). Should we search people’s houses? Or do we let the gangs go wild?

23. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Again more extreme nonsense.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Better yet, let’s just tell ‘em the wrong precinct to vote in or give them the wrong date, or tell them they’re subject to arrest. Tried-and-true methods.