Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Hi all

Can anyone confirm if the new apple TV will start off with all the apps already available for current one?

I use NowTV in the UK, and wonder if on day 1 of the new AppleTV it will still be there, and working as normal... or whether there will be a period of waiting as it has to be re-written for the new AppleTV.

I hope not as I don't want to have to run 2 apple TVs just to access apps that have yet to be ported to the new system.

iPhonetherefore

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Taunton UK
Hi all

Can anyone confirm if the new apple TV will start off with all the apps already available for current one?

I use NowTV in the UK, and wonder if on day 1 of the new AppleTV it will still be there, and working as normal... or whether there will be a period of waiting as it has to be re-written for the new AppleTV.

I hope not as I don't want to have to run 2 apple TVs just to access apps that have yet to be ported to the new system.
I would love someone to get a list of confirmed apps for uk Apple TV 4. Needs more than a new remote to convince my wife of our need for one.
I hope for now tv, I player, itv player, 4od and demand 5. I think over time these will all come with universal search. I'm not holding out much hope for Amazon prime!

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I hope for now tv, I player, itv player, 4od and demand 5. I think over time these will all come with universal search. I'm not holding out much hope for Amazon prime!

I doubt Now TV will be on there same goes for Amazon Prime (which I hope does at some stage).

I would like to think as well BBC iPlayer etc will get added but not on day one, give it a couple of weeks for everyone to play around on it.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I would love someone to get a list of confirmed apps for uk Apple TV 4. Needs more than a new remote to convince my wife of our need for one.

Convince the wife? I settled for mine rolling her eyes and glaring as a, yes, we certainly do need one.

JamerG

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2015
I doubt Now TV will be on there same goes for Amazon Prime (which I hope does at some stage).

I would like to think as well BBC iPlayer etc will get added but not on day one, give it a couple of weeks for everyone to play around on it.

Apple are heavily promoting Now TV on the webpage for the new Apple TV as being something you scan subscribe to direct from Apple TV, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't there from the get go:

http://www.apple.com/uk/tv/entertainment/

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Apple are heavily promoting Now TV on the webpage for the new Apple TV as being something you scan subscribe to direct from Apple TV, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't there from the get go:

http://www.apple.com/uk/tv/entertainment/

I must admit I had totally missed that....

They do seem to mention it quite prominently but I guess we will find out on Friday if there is an updated NowTV app that is ready for launch. I suspect not though.

Its also been mentioned elsewhere that 'all the old apps' will work on the new AppleTV - not sure how true that is or whether all the existing channels will become downloadable from the new app store on day 1 - eventually getting 'updated' with new functionality in time.

I guess the reason we don't know for sure at the moment is that the developers don't have access to the app store yet, and the out-of-the-box configuration will not include any 3rd party channels or apps unlike the existing AppleTV boxes.

It would be nice if Apple stated the apps available at launch to help (potential) buyers decided when they are ready to upgrade. Mine is on order and hopefully be here for 30th and then we shall find out! - though as I said before I don't really want to run 2 separate appleTVs just to access NowTV.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
You got that last part right! Amazon doesn't even want to sell Apple TV anymore. I really think it matters because it looks like sales of their own box aren't that swift any way.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Well this is disappointing

So, IN THE UK... (not USA)...

Theres very little to chose. so far.

The NowTV app isn't there. The plethora of old channels are not there.

I am unable to watch NowTV from the new AppleTV.

And, silly things like movie trailers... are also gone? - anyone correct me on this one.

Great hardware. Great update... but a big step back in terms of functionality on day one.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Well this is disappointing

So, IN THE UK... (not USA)...

Theres very little to chose. so far.

The NowTV app isn't there. The plethora of old channels are not there.

I am unable to watch NowTV from the new AppleTV.

And, silly things like movie trailers... are also gone? - anyone correct me on this one.

Great hardware. Great update... but a big step back in terms of functionality on day one.
I'd say give it a few weeks for a update and it will coming flooding through, day one remember :)

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Yeah I agree I think if they are going to advise apps on the page, they should be there day one and the rest to follow
exactly.

Right now I'm going to have to unplug it and put the old appleTV back cos i want to watch a movie tonight!!

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
No Now TV. Just got home and set it up.

Tomorrow it goes back to the shop. FFS so excited for this and it's useless to me!

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Well, for a start I can't work out how to see my watchlist?

Oh I've found it but its right at the bottom of the screen...

Takes a fair number of swipes to get to it...

why it can't be at the top i don't understand...

NeilHD

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
You do know that apps can be added *after* you have bought it, right?

Yes but currently Now TV is what we use the most, making it useless to me. No point in it sitting in a box until that happens. Might as well return it, have the money back and buy it again when it comes out.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Yes but currently Now TV is what we use the most, making it useless to me. No point in it sitting in a box until that happens. Might as well return it, have the money back and buy it again when it comes out.

There is a lot of discord going on at the NowTV forums... and quite rightly so. Although there is a lot of the normal internet forum OTT arm waving going on...

I have to agree the basic principle here. You advertise a product as having functionality. For the UK user base, on the appleTV UK site, it clearly states NowTV.

For the UK user base, NowTV is arguably one of the more important apps alongside Netflix.

Ive always used AppleTV - i think its a great and useful product. I would recommend it in any of its incarnations to anyone who buys or rents iTunes content. Its a no-Brainer.

As Ive said before, I know us early adopters always feel the pain. But I'm really surprised that the NowTV app wasn't available for launch.... the UK store is rather sparse.... and that we have lost functionality.

Trailers... where is our app on the UK store. They have it on the US store so why not UK?

And nowTV - someone please get their act together and let us know whats happening.

having said all that, Im quite certain that within a week, this will all be addressed.... but I would have thought that Apple would want their day 1 purchasers to be nothing short of delighted when opening their new AppleTV. Instead we get 'thanks for buying this now you gotta wait a few days before it actually does what we stated on the Website'.

Not ideal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.