Day 1 Buying Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xxray, Aug 31, 2014.

1. xxray macrumors 6502a

I've never bought any electronic device or anything the day it came out so I just have a few questions for first day buyers of iPhones or any long awaited popular product.

So let's say we're talking about an iPhone 6.

1. If I go to a store in person to go buy one, will I really have to wait in one of those long lines outside of the store hours before?
    2. How fast do online pre-orders usually sell out?
    3. If I pre-order one online, will it arrive at my house within the first week they're sold?
    4. How likely is it that I will be able to get one on Day 1 if I don't wait in line hours before? Do they typically sell out very fast or what?
    5. If I don't get it day 1, will I be able to get one within a week or does it typically sell out for weeks at a time?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I just don't have any experience with buying on the first day. Any replies are much appreciated, thank you!

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

1) Varies from place to place. It's recommended to wait in line, but some people get lucky by walking in later in the day and picking one up.
    2) Within a few hours. I wouldn't be surprised if by lunch time the same day, preorders are all gone, if they do preorders this year.
    3) You'll get it the day it goes on sale. The shippers, UPS and Fedex, are asked to hold them for delivery on the launch day. However, some slip through the cracks and people get them a day or 2 earlier.
    4) Again, varies from place to place.
    5) They are usually hard to find for several months.

3. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Day 1 Buying Questions

Are you sure about that?

4. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I ordered online within minutes of the online release and it got to me within 2 weeks or a bit less. Only downside is that depending on where you live you may have to stay up for that release moment. I will never stand in line on day one, never.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's been that way for the last 4 iPhones except the 4S. Though the Space Gray 5S didn't take very long to be fully stocked everywhere.

I remember it taking until around August for the 4 to be regularly stocked by retailers.

November for the 5
    November for the 5S (except the Space Gray)

But if you order one on release day or shortly afterward it shouldn't take that long. You're put into a queue so usually it just takes a few weeks even when supplies are constrained. I received my Gold 5S that I ordered on day 1 last year about 4 weeks after launch. But if you're planning to just walk into a store and buy one after release, you might be waiting a couple of months.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Got my iPhone 5 on launch day. I did preorder as soon as it went live though.

Preordered my iPhone 4 and collected it at store on launch day. Got there about 6 am I believe and was 7th in the line.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No one know for sure.
    Phone or any details about it haven't even been released yet.
    Your guess is as good as anyones.